Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #1  
LLV

Default So much for using Splenda in place of sugar!

I made a cake last night and used Splenda in equal amounts in place of the sugar the recipe called for.

I took a few bites of this cake and tossed it out. Not only was it WAY too sweet, the aftertaste was horrible.

Has anyone had any luck using Splenda in place of sugar? Or is there anyone else who doesn't like it? It's not that I don't LIKE Splenda as a sweetener, like on cereal and whatnot (although I prefer Equal to Splenda because it's not as sweet) but WOW! This was way too sweet for my liking and next time I make this cake, I'm just using regular sugar.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #2  
Looking forward

Height: 5' 6''

I've heard that an equal amount of Splenda and sugar are not really equal, Splenda is more concentrated or something like that. Maybe try the recipe again and use half the sugar it calls for? No expert here, just guessing. Hope it helps.
Jade235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #3  

What I generally do with a recipe is start with replacing part of the sugar with Splenda instead of all if it right off the bat. Some recipes, IMHO just do not work with replacing all of the sugar. Most recipes it seems I get to 1/4 - 1/3 Sugar and 3/4 - 2/3 Splenda.

Have you checked out the Splenda web site? They might have some recipes that they have already tested out for cakes that do work well with Splenda.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes - you can't replace all the sugar at once. All of my frozen yogurt recipes use 1/8 cup sugar and 1/4 cup splenda...this seems to help with the texture issues and the "too sweet" issues, while still keeping the calories to a minimum. Cake ingredients are (fairly) cheap...do some experimenting over the next couple weeks to see if you can make a recipe you're happy with that incorporates maybe 3/4 splenda and 1/4 sugar.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

You know, I never understood this. I have a box of Splenda at home, and on the side, it says to use it cup for cup like sugar, 1 cup sugar = 1 cup Splenda. However, on the front of the box, it says the contents of the box contains as much sweetness as a whole pound of sugar, which means the Splenda is SWEETER than the sugar. If Splenda is sweeter, then why do they say 1 cup = 1 cup? There HAS to be a better conversion to level off the flavor.

I have had the same problem. I don't use Splenda in my own recipes anymore because I ALWAYS end up with that funky rotton lemony aftertaste, and I can't stand it.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
You know, I never understood this. I have a box of Splenda at home, and on the side, it says to use it cup for cup like sugar, 1 cup sugar = 1 cup Splenda. However, on the front of the box, it says the contents of the box contains as much sweetness as a whole pound of sugar, which means the Splenda is SWEETER than the sugar. If Splenda is sweeter, then why do they say 1 cup = 1 cup? There HAS to be a better conversion to level off the flavor.

I have had the same problem. I don't use Splenda in my own recipes anymore because I ALWAYS end up with that funky rotton lemony aftertaste, and I can't stand it.
LOL, good observations, never though of it that way before.

And me too, that taste was awful.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
By volume (cups), Splenda is supposed to be the same as sugar.

By weight (pounds), Splenda is sweeter.

Your box doesn't weigh anything near a pound, but it should have as many cups of Splenda in it as a pound bag would have cups of sugar.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I've tried baking with Splenda, but no matter how much I reduce the amount of sweetner in a recipe, I still wind up with that yucky splenda chemical taste. I don't use it at all anymore. I think it would be better to just reduce the overall amount of sugar and leave it at that.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #9