Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #1  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up The Beck Diet Solution

Is anyone else out there using this book? Supposedly, it works with any diet, and it uses cognitive therapy to help us train ourselves to eat healthier and more reasonably so we get get the weight off - and keep it off for a lifetime.

So far, I've done pretty well losing the weight on my own and with the support of the fine folks here (I'm a calorie counter), but I'm really having trouble losing this last 15 - 20 lbs. I'm STUCK at my current weight, and I am hoping that this book will give me some more tools that I need to fine-tune my weight-loss efforts.

I'm only on Day 2 and already my outlook has changed for the better, so I really think this is going to work! I am, however, curious if anyone else is trying it and having success with it.

Thanks!!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #2  
LWM

S/C/G: 263/255/150ish

Height: 5'4"

I am in the process of reading this book, too. I am really enjoying it, and it all makes sense. It's refreshing to read a book with diet in the title that is all about changing how we think, not just how we eat!!

There is a companion workbook coming out soon (Fall 2007, I think). I am hoping to score an advanced copy (I am a psychologist who uses CBT resources all the time in my counseling practice - sometimes they send me freebies!).

Congrats on your progress so far and best of luck with the book!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #3  

Hey! I am working with the book also. I got a little hung up on Day 5 because I just haven't found a diet that works for me. Yes, I have found diets that certainly will help me lose weight but nothing really feels like something I can do for a lifetime. I have gone down the path of using my will power and giving up carbs, or counting and weighting everything, and I have decided that even thought that work for a while it is too difficult to sustain for a lifetime. I know that I can't just "eat less" I need a plan. I don't really want to join a group like weight watchers but I do what to be part of an online community.

I have decided to take a look at volumetrics.

Do you all want to start a support system to talk about what day we are on and what we are doing?? We could share what we have written on our cards and maybe provoke thought and inspiration.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #4  

I am reading it now. I think it's going to be a really useful tool to get at some of the mind issues that always stop me cold and I end up gaining again. CBT works really well for a lot of other things. It should work for weight loss, too!!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #5  
Suz

Thumbs up yay!

Oh good! I'm so glad to see others are doing this plan, too!

Gina, I would LOVE to start a group here and share this experience with others... we could certainly all learn and help each other along the way. In fact, I think that one of the days focuses especially on finding a support system...?

I wonder, though, if we set up a group - where should we set it up at? There are so many wonderful sub-forums here, I don't know which one would be appropriate.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #6  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I think there is a forum called "general diet plans" You could open a thread there.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Hi guys, I have two suggestions for areas to set up a support thread:

The general diet area
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

or in Support groups
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122

Since this is diet based, I first recommend the general diet area.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #8  
Suz

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your input!

OK - that cinches it - I'm going to go to the General Diet Plans area and try to start a group there.

Like anything else I've ever tried for the first time, I'm a little daunted by doing yet another diet plan, and it'll be good for me and I'm sure many others to go through it with a group, especially since the book/plan are so new.

Hope to see a few of you there!
Closed Thread