Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #1  

Location: South Beacher...In the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Height: 5'9

Default Please help with LA nutritional info...

Hi all,

I am doing the purple plan on LAWL, but I am goin' it alone, cause I quit for almost a year and now I can't go back without "dealing" with the COD... HeHe...So I am trying to use up what bars I have, then sub them for something else. I have seen you all talk about Luna bars.
So what I need if anyone can help me Is the nutritional facts on a package of the LA Lites and the shake, as that was what I had used before. I so appreciate it. I'm commited to getting the rest of the weight off and I know the plan works, as I lost well and I have managed to maintain that loss over several months. I also wondered what is after the purple plan, where do you go from there?
Thanks to all in advance!!
mlmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/152/122

Height: 5'7"

Default Organic

Hiya... read your post. although I am not familiar with the LAWL plan, I would think that any diet's natural progression would lead you to organic meals as they certainly digest better than the bioengineered food available on the plan. I will check back to see if you need more info
sunspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 228 in 2006/185/160

Height: 5'4"

although I am not familiar with the LAWL plan........

organic meals as they certainly digest better than the bioengineered food available on the plan

Ummm, just a thought, if you arent familiar with the plan why would you think that LA uses bioengineered food? 99% of the food I consume on plan is engineered by Mother Nature herself.
MomOfThreeTeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #4  

Luna Bars are a good substitute for the LA Lites, they're pretty close to the same nutritional values. The shakes, Slim Fast High Protein or Slim Fast Optima, and add a string cheese to up the protein. You can do a search on the forum to find suggestions that other people have made. Good luck restarting!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #5  

Location: South Beacher...In the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfThreeTeens View Post
Luna Bars are a good substitute for the LA Lites, they're pretty close to the same nutritional values. The shakes, Slim Fast High Protein or Slim Fast Optima, and add a string cheese to up the protein. You can do a search on the forum to find suggestions that other people have made. Good luck restarting!!!
Thank you,
I appreciate the tips, I will ck into those.
mlmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #6  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

The newbie thread lists these substitutes:

Common alternative/cheaper versions of LAWL products-

LA lites-Lunas, Pria Completes, Kashi Go Lean bars

Takeoff Juice--Knudsen's Morning Blend juice available in many health food sections of the grocery store-6oz or 8oz juice/4Xday (decide for yourself, different people do different things). Some of us use oranges or cantalope

Slimdowns--slimfast high protein shakes (closest in carbs/protein)

KIM - I love your response to sunspell...........if someone wanted to be totally "organic" and do this program, they could...that is the glory of LAWL...flexible and real. Sunspell needs to do her research before chiming in.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #7  

Joni- I saw something on the Today show one morning where they did some research into whether organic products were worth the money, in some cases it was yes, like fruits and veggies that we dont peel, because the chemicals could still be on the skin. But for some other things they said it was a waste of money.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Kim - I've seen those articles as well.

My $.02 on the organic thing... if you seem to have allergies or sensitivities, organic can help. DS went through about 4 months last year when he would have 3-5 days of waking up around 1 am and would projective vomit for 4 hours. He would sleep an hour or two and then from 7-11 a.m. he would projectile out the other end. He would be fine for 3 days and just when you thought it was over, it all started again. We had all types of tests for all types of diseases, parasites, food poisoning, etc. and they couldn't figure it out. Anyhoo, I switched him to organic bananas, yogurt, even crackers and it seemed to help him out.

As far as organic produce, I don't know if it's because of where I live, but a lot of times the organic is priced very well. Like when apples were in season, you could get a bag of organic apples for the same price, or at most $1 more. But I will say this... organic apples and bananas have a much better taste to me. They taste sweeter, maybe because they can't put chemicals on them to extend the life so they get to the store faster? And if you've ever had Stonyfield Farm ff plain yogurt, you won't have any other. Sometimes it's worth the extra $$$. Other times, not so much. But if you have the chance to do a taste comparison, I would try it.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #9  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

S/C/G: 200.2/172/140

Height: 5'5"

I looked into Organic produce as well, and I don't remember which magazine I read it in (Readers Digest or Prevention, maybe?) but they made a good point:

If the organic produce you're looking at had to have been shipped all the way across the country to get to you, it may be less fresh than the "regular" stuff because it's sat in a truck for 3-4 days. If you've got the option to buy locally-grown produce instead, that may end up being the better option in those cases. Sure, there may be some pesticides on it, but it's possible there might not be as well (smaller farms may be more judicial in their applications) and the produce may be fresher and therefore taste better as well.

It sounds like a lot of the debate needs to take into account your actual location and what's grown near you, I guess.
hdsqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #10  

Megan - I read an articles called something like, "The Whole Foods Lie", or something like that, and it said the same thing. It said the produce you could get from 50 miles away was better than the organic grapes grown in Chile and shipped to Whole Foods distribution center and then sent to the stores.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #11  
Amy

I drink organic milk and it's SO much better than regular. Once I started and had regular again, it had a funny after taste. Who knows? I am a sucker for advertising... this could all be in my head!
JerseyMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #12  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Okay, chiming in on organic..

Recently I read that if you are going to start going organic, you'll get the best bang for your buck in Dairy and Meat. Many fuits and veggies have protective 'covers' (ie peels, skins, shells) and can be cleaned up with a wash, while dairy and meat is all about hormones which can't be washed/cooked away.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #13  

I like the organic milk better too. I buy the organic eggs, and I've heard they taste better than regular, even my mom and sister seem to notice, but to be honest, I can't taste a difference in the eggs. I can't taste a difference in the meat either. I don't buy organic sour cream, but there is a taste and ingredient huge difference in the store brand compared to Friendship. But if I can avoid DS (and DD, but she's not as sensitive) getting any hormones, pesticides, chemicals, etc. in his food, I do it. No high fructose corn syrup, no hydrogenated stuff (you'd be surprised how many crackers have that), etc. I'm not a fanatic about this stuff, it just kind of evolved from trying to get real food. And even though the produce may have a protective coating, a lot of it just tastes better. And to me that's worth a few more $$$.

(Speaking of bio-engineered, have you checked out the WW and even the SB products?)
Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #14  
Amy

I did South Beach and it's pretty much ALL checmicals! If you're not allowed to eat anything but protein, cheese, and greens, (NO BREAD in the first 2 stages pretty much), how is it possible to make pizzas, chocolates, etc??? Hmmm, sounds like bioengineering to me!
JerseyMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #15  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

I buy the organic milk and eggs also. I started buying the milk because my 10yo stepdaughter was told by her doctor to stop drinking regular milk because the hormones were causing her to develop too fast...she was told this a few years ago. So after my DD was born, I figured I would just do the organic - just in case.
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote