Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default For people who worry about numbers!

Buy a really nice pedometer!!

As many of you know, I get stressed over numbers. But ever since I got this really nice pedometer I don't worry about the calories so much, but more on walking.

It counts the steps you take in a day, the aerobic steps when you're exercising (it takes 10 minutes of aerobic walking before it starts to count), it counts the calories you burn throughout the day with walking, it counts the distance you go, the time you do with aerobic walking, and it even keeps track of the past 7 days!

I love it because now I can have an actual set of numbers that show how much I did everyday! Instead of worrying if I'm burning enough calories, I simply estimate how much I'm eating during the day, and then at the end of the day I record how many calories I burned, the steps, I took, and a small success I had in the day.

I feel a lot better about myself without worrying about calories, and I feel like improving my cardio and not so much worrying about that extra snack I had.

I have the Omron pedometer. (Thank you so much Suzanne!)

And today I also bought a small kitchen scale to count oz. and pounds! Now I can feel better about the meat I eat (I always guess before).

These small tools are really motivating for me. Knowledge is really power. And they're both pretty cheap. So anyone who is worrying about calories, I really urge you to get this so you can have a new set of numbers to worry over (the positive worry!).

Everyday I'm going to chanllenge myself to walk more and more.

And as a note, the pedometer is part of the Best Life Diet. The number of steps you do is part of different levels of activity. I'm trying to get up to 10,000 steps a day. It seems like a lot, but you can easily do about 1,200 steps in a short amount of time just going to the grocery store or shopping. I did 1,200 in a quick run up to walmart.

And in a 44 minute walk around my neighborhood I did roughly 4,000 steps. So when you clean around the house and do things around the office, it REALLY adds up.

Just wanted to let you all know

Edit: I just read over this...and I really sound like an ad. XD But I am just excited.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gamer! It sounds really good--what a great tool! You are really putting together a a good program, I think.

I'll have to look into a pedometer--I didn't know they could tell so much!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hey great!

My only problem with pedometers is that sometimes they shake and click up steps when I go to sit down or other non-walking activities.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

I take mine off when I sit down. I think it depends on your pedometer. Because if you make too abrupt of a motion it doesn't count anything. It counts jogging and the such...but if you're swinging it it doesn't count.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Gamerchick this is wonderful!!! You sound so positive and upbeat about this. I'm so excited for you.

And I agree with you. I wear a pedometer every single day. I LOVE it. I love watching the numbers go UP. I find myself sneaking in extra steps all the time. It just makes me more AWARE of my activity level and the fact that I should keep MOVING. Is it 100% accurate, who knows? But I don't care, it's just the fact that it gets me moving and shaking.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oh yes, I love my Omron pedometer. It sounds very similar to yours gamer. I have had other ones that would count steps when being shaken, but this one doesn't. It seems quite accurate. Either way, I still enjoy keeping track of my steps.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #7  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

where can I get one at? and how much do they cost? Im really interested in getting one!
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I've seen mine at Walmart - in the pharmacy section near the blood pressure machines, not the ones in the fitness section. I seem to recall that it costs about $30.00.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #9  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
I've seen mine at Walmart - in the pharmacy section near the blood pressure machines, not the ones in the fitness section. I seem to recall that it costs about $30.00.

Ok, thank you! I hae to go to wal-mart today, I'll make sure to look for one
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

And I'll add to that suggestion for all you mommy's wondering what to do with your little ones. Don't buy a pedometer, but a bike speedometer and put it on your stroller.

Getting ready to head out to the park to log some miles with the baby.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #11  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

This makes complete sense to me. Puts the focus on something positive! Thanks Gamer!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #12  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

wateraddict, if jtammy and I have the same Omron model (the one reviewed/recommended by 3FC), you can find it even cheaper at Amazon - just under $20.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

What happens if you walk backwards?????

Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #14  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I know you were joking, but I just tried it. The Omron counted every backwards step.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

If you walk backwards fast enough, will you gain weight?

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-07-2007 at 03:56 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote