Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Maple syrup dessert

I gave up refined sugar recently in the hope that that would help with a few different problems, and while I can't swear it's the sugar (since at the same time I stopped eating meat, chicken, cheese, etc.), I feel fantastic. I get my sugar from fruit now - except for a little honey in my morning coffee, and this recipe. (I may give the honey & syrup up too, but I may not!).

Place some cheesecloth in a strainer and pour in some low fat organic yogurt (which seems to be creamier & less tart than regular). Place over a bowl and allow the yogurt to drain until it's about the consistency of very thick sour cream.

Get a nice little bowl, put in a 1/2 cup of the yogurt, and measure out a tablespoon of really good maple syrup. Eat slowly with a small spoon!

The yogurt doesn't even taste like yogurt, it's so creamy, and 1 T of syrup is truly enough. I love this stuff, and it satisfies what's left of my sweet tooth.
cheers,
Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

You might like Greek yogurt, which has the consistency of strained yogurt, but without all the work. One of the varieties of Greek yogurt at Trader Joe's comes with honey on the side to mix I absolutely looove the consistency of Greek yogurt - it's completely decadent with berries and a drizzle (1 tsp) of honey. Fage is my favorite brand of Greek yogurt.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/185/165

Height: 5'8"

I like to buy fat free plain yogurt and put in one of the flavored "straws". My favorite is Crystal Light's pomegranite and cherry flavor. Looks like kid's paste, but tastes really good. I'm going to try the maple syrup. I use sugar free syrup...
BarbDet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

I love Greek yogurt - back in 1982 I went to Europe for the first time & stayed in a wonderful little place on Ios. The yogurt drizzled with wonderful dark honey was part of daily breakfast - the bees there are huge and black! I still remember them. I don't mind doing the drainage thing, it only takes a few minutes and it's cheaper (I get my Liberty yogurt at Costco, way less than the same brand at the organic store where I do a lot of shopping).

I was re-reading your "long" post today - first read it in 2004, I think, and did respond. Our stories are almost identical. It's been slower for me to lose the weight, I really did it in stages but it wasn't until I cut out all alchohol that I was able to really get down to it! Gives me the munchies.

cheers,
Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I like to buy fat free plain yogurt and put in one of the flavored "straws". My favorite is Crystal Light's pomegranite and cherry flavor. Looks like kid's paste, but tastes really good. I'm going to try the maple syrup. I use sugar free syrup...
Hmmm, interesting, may have to try the Crystal Light. BUT, as a born and bred New Englander, I shudder at the thought of sugar free maple syrup. Really, there is no comparison with the flavor of the real thing. And it doesn't have that many calories....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

suechef, you can also use coffee filters, that is what I do

Also, I loved the breakfasts in greece. I remember getting honey and thick yogurt with berries.... It was so good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #7  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Hi everyone. I'm a lurky whole foods thread person...I come here for food and eating ideas when I need to be in like-minded company.

nelie, thanks for the tip on the coffee filters! That gave me impetus to try straining my yogurt, just for something new.

choosewell
choosewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 PM   #8  

Sue--Did giving up the sugar include any form of refined sugar added to commercially-prepared foods (i.e., cold cereal w/barley malt, even something like Puffins?). Just curious. I like a whole foods way of eating, not sure how much I could cut back on that front. I reduce the sugar when I bake and use unsweetened applesauce or blackstrap molasses.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote