Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 Year Olds #96

G'day all from Las Vegas.

Couldn't resist starting the new thread whilst Alan is hovering around for me to get going.

Glenda here is the blog address....http://flaggies.blogspot.com/

The photos I post can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Must fly, cannot wait to catch up with Glenda being the first one of our group that I will meet. Hope we survive the madness of the freeways!!!!

Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #2  

So interesting to follow Maria and Allan's adventure and read their comments about our way of life. They certainly learned fast enough how everything is supersized and especially our American figures. No wonder we are always trying to diet. We don't recognize a normal portion if we saw it. We do everything to excess.
Too bad they had to see the dark side of this country with the massacre at Virginia Tech. Truthfully I don't understand it either, why guns are so easily accessible and why these people are so disgruntled that they act out in such an awful way.
Haven't had much computer time but I'm enjoying all your e-mails. Thanks!
muffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #3  
Member Florida Chick

Hi All- I am finally back in circulation. On Friday night some firned and I wwent to the Cancer Relay for Life evening, had a free dinner for the survivors, and then I tried to sell my daughters jewelry. It was a bad night- lots of lookers and very few buyers. Then the wind came up and it wanted to blow everything off the table, and then it got cold and so we quit and came home.

Last night was the last big event of this winter season. We had a dinner theater of sorts. An outside group comes in, and does the show, and we provide the dinner. Another gal and I were the co-chairs of the event. this show was a take-off of the old HeeHaw show. It was good fun. We worked Friday a.m. and then most of Sat. to get it done. One of the fellows in the park cooked the pork barbecue, and we gals made cole slaw, potato salad, and barbecue beans. Other ladies baked cakes for our dessert. It was a good evening but I am glad it is over. We served 164 dinners.

We did have food left over, so tomorrow we are taking the leftovers to a Misson for homeless people.

Now it is time to just relax for a while.
I'm not even going to ride my bike tonight. Just put my feet up, and read or watch t.v.

It is fun keeping track of Maria, and she knew we needed her to give us a new thread. It will be great to hear about her meeting with Glenda. Makes me jealous.Oh well. It is good to see things through her eyes.

I'm off to my rocking chair. Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #4  
Fun Blonde

Ann, one whole night off! I can't believe it! A WHOLE night off! You must be tired. You all must have had the same storm we had. At our Cancer Relay it rained and it stormed and it blew. I didn't go, but I did think about all those kids out there freezing. Ours was at the college and it was full of college teams and businesses. Today we are still under a storm watch. I have to catch myself and remember, I WILL NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT RAIN!

You know, the closer it comes for Alan and Maria's visit, the more I am looking forward to it. Like everything else, when something is close to you, you don't really "see" it. I just printed off the National Cowboy Hall of Fame website. We haven't been there in years and it is just so very special. We should be proud of it. Can't wait to see it again.

Talked to my kid, the principal. He said everyone is just so bummed out about the shooting. He said there is no way in the world they could close down a high school, let alone a university. I just got my copy of "Time" and I was so impressed by the writing. They did not glorify the shooter at all, just talked about those lost. On the front cover is a picture of each one. So much potential gone.

Darn! Got to get off that sadness wagon! Just makes my heart hurt.

Anybody got any jokes to send me, today would be a good day to lighten this mood.
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #5  

G'day all,

Just as I thought we were about to leave Alan decides he needs to use the bathroom and we all know what men are like so I thought I would take advantage of the time and post.
We had a good sleep in Dodge City and are off to a museum this morning.
People are having problems understanding us here... Alan wanted a beer last night and we had to repeat it 5 times and she then said 'oh a BEAAAAARE', she was very funny and we all had a good laugh.

Ann that sounds like a very hectic time you had, serving 164 dinners.

Glenda we are also looking forward to finally meeting and the museum sounds great, Alan will love it.
The weather is not the best today but I think it will be good by the weekend.

I just have to say that I have never come across feed yards before, boy do they smell!!!! Someone here at the motel explained what they were, don't know what they do with all the pooh, perhaps use it for fertilising, it looks very healthy country though I was told they had snow here on April 13 and all the wheat crops were destroyed

I must be off and explore Dodge City, everyones mouth falls open when I tell them after Stillwater we are off to Winnipeg

I will need a big rest when we get home

Cheers
Maria
Old 04-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #6  
Fun Blonde

Maria, I cannot tell you how wonderful your visit was for us. My daughter-in-law are still talking about visiting you in 10 years after they have saved. We so enjoyed showing off OKC to you. And who would have thought the university was so interesting to you!

Girls, if Maria and Alan are visiting you, you will just have a treat in store. Maybe it is just the 7 years of visiting back and forth, but I did feel that we had known each other forever. And Alan was just wonderful too. The accent was something too. "Blimey" and 'bloke" really are words used by Australian, not just Crocodile Dundee!

What have you all been doing lately? Gloria, are you getting ready for your big celebration? Slavika, where are you? Karen, forgive me. Is your mother still visiting you? Are you in the swimsuit season? Peggy, how is Peyton doing these days?
Glenda
Old 04-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #7  

G'day all,

We are in Chadron Nebraska tonight.
Thank you for your kind words Glenda, we enjoyed our stay in Oklahoma and Stillwater very much and your hospitality was very much appreciated.

I will get on with my blog....

Hope everyone is well...

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #8  
Fun Blonde

Girls, are we not talking anymore? I have missed hearing and talking to you all. What is going on?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #9  
Web Nana

Ah, Glenda, you have shamed me into posting but I am happy to be doing it as it means I can sit for a while. It has been busy here but it should slow down in a while. What are you busy with, you may ask....well been doing a bit of Spring cleaning and we finally got the matching chair to our two love seats. Love them, the new chair is a swivel/glider and very comfortable. Of course I am never satisfied and found another chair in the set that matches the throw pollows on the love seats. Hmmmm, should I mention it to DH?...think I will! Today was the run up to Bedford to the Commissary for a long needed grocery run. Then we drove up to visit dd#3 and had lunch with her. Then it was back home and put everything away, which is even worse than shopping. Got some meats so that meant repacking for the freezer. Gee, no wonder I want to sit for a while.

I have been keeping track of Maria & Alan's Trek across America and they seem to be having a wonderful time. Glenda, sounds like you really had an enjoyable visit with them.

We are looking forward to the Middle School Musical, next week. Both of our local Middle School kids are in it. They are in the chorus...Cam is a Jock and Kerrie is a Cheerleader. It is called the High School Musical which I don't know a lot about but it should be fun.

Then there is June and Marie & Alan and in July everyone will be here for the celebration of our Fifty Year Anniversary. It isn't actually until September but the best time for the Raleigh contingent is during Summer vacation. It should be fun. We have reserved the bouncy castle for the kids for one of the days. We had it 4 years ago and they had a ball.

Before I leave I do want to wlsh Maria and Alan a very HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #10  

G'day all from Rapid City,

I agree Glenda, what has happened to everyone?

Sounds like you have been busy Gloria, I am glad you are enjoying the blog. It is a bit of a commitment to do it at the end of each day but when i get home and I will be able to print it out, I will have a good record of all the things we did.

We have been incredibly lucky with the weather, I think you have had a lot of rain again Glenda since we left. The one day (morning) of rain when we went to the National country western museum was no problem.
Today and yesterday lovely sunny days.

I hope everyone is well and perhaps too busy to post.

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-03-2007, 07:03 AM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Good morning everyone: I too have just not bothered to come and post since nothing much has been happening here. I am disgusted with myself, since I don't seem to be able to get going with any continueing weight loss plan. I have big ideas and then they just go down the tube.

I want to paint our kitchen, but haven't come up with just the right color scheme, and of course there is a lot to do before painting, like washing down everything, then putting on the primer- and so it goes. we have a lot of cupboards and I dread the doors. Does anyone have any special shortcuot steps for cupboard doors, without having to take them off the wall. I know I have to remove the knobs, but I just hate the thought of having to take them all off.

I have started bike riding again, and finally went to the pool for some much needed exercise.

Right now I am upset that the package I sent to DD in Williamsburg hasn't yet arrived. It has been ten days now, and they assured me it would be there in 5. It is all her jewelry that she sent for our Relay sale. and now she needs it for hers. I went to the post office, and was told that I sent it the slow way, and that there was nothing they could do. And if I needed to make a claim I would have to wait 30 days before doing so. And she needs the stuff this week. I could kick myself for not sending it Priority, but I guess I was 'pennywise and pound foolish' as the saying goes. I've never had this sort of problem with the Postal service before, and the package is insured for $500. Wouldn't you think they could do something about finding it.

I still haven't been able to find a good sale price for flying to Williamsburg. I would dearly love to be there when Maria and Alan arrive, but so far it seems that it is only my dream. they may just have to settle with Holly and Mike.

Somehow I think that we communicate a lot with email, and so then I neglect to post. I will try to do better. How about the rest of you?

Ann
Old 05-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #12  

Early morning in Rapid City....Alan is still asleep

Nice to see you post Ann, sorry to hear about the package not arriving as yet, how frustrating and there is nothing you can do about it.

I have to say America is NOT diet (or eating healthily) friendly!
Your way of eating is so different, if you ask for a salad, it comes with croutons (very tasty!) unless you specifically ask, the dressing invariably is wonderful but high in fat. A lot of dishes are smothered in cheese.
Perhaps at home it maybe easier but eating out it is very difficult.
Even a simple ice-cream cone is filled to overflowing!
We have been stopping at subway, at least you have a little say what goes on and what does not.

I think we had a honeymoon couple next to us in the motel.....quite noisy, I ended up knocking on the wall at 2 am for them to quiten down!

Off to breakfast and on the road again.....

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #13  

I am going to try this again. I just lost my post because it keeps saying I am not authorized even though I have logged in.
It is fun to read about Maria and Alan's great adventure. I like seeing things through their eyes especially since I have never been to these places. I guess I thought everyone liked ice in their drinks and take for granted the ice machines. Been trying to think of exciting things to when they visit here. A baby rhino was just born at the zoo-it was on the Today show the other morning. Hopefully we will be able to see it.
Ann I hate, hate to paint. I make a big mess of it. I also have a hard time deciding what color to paint. Have you tried ***********?It is a site like WW but free and free is good. They are located somewhere on the east side of town. You are quite amazing with all that you do. I think you need to rest in that chair a little.
Glenda - I loved hearing about your visit with Maria. The cowboy museum sounds like fun. P was 2 on Easter. He is getting big. I will send pics that Neil just sent me today. He wears me out when he visits or we go and watch him.
Maria you have to save room for Graeters ice cream. Oprah's favorite. Too bad your not going near Cleveland to the Rock n Roll museum since Alan likes to serande you. I had to laugh at your men and bathrooms-it must be a universal thing.
17 days till school is out for the year. It is so hot in there I think I am melting sometimes. They are adding a kindergarten next year. As good as our feeder schools are I think I would save the $2000 and send them there. Going to go out and water the flowers since the rain didn't appear.

Last edited by painter5; 05-03-2007 at 05:43 PM.
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

The lost has been found. I am so grateful that it was nothing serious with the package. After going to the Post office once and getting a not so satisfactory answer to my question, I waited a day and went back again and spoke to another person. This time she went on the computer and then cam back and told me that it was at the Williamsburg post office and had been there since the 26th waiting to be picked up. Holly had never received apick-up card in their mail. So I immediaatley called her cell phone and told her where it was. She went after school and sure enough. they couldn't explain just what had happened since they thought the rural carrier had put in the pick-up card. so anyway- all is well that ends well. All that worrying and fretting for nothing.

I am imagining that you gals in Winnepeg are now having a grand time with Maria and Alan. I am still trying to find a cheap fare that I can afford to get to Williamsburg while they are there. So far- no go. It will be dissapointing, if I can't go, but such is life. I know that Holly will take my place.

Off to get some shopping done and pick up a prescription now. I keep checking all the cheap tickets to see if I can come up with something. Say a prayer.

'See' you later. Ann
Old 05-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Slavika and Trudy, I know you all are having such a good time. You know I am envious! I wish I were there for all that good talking. And with Slavika, all that good eating.

Ann, I sure hope you can find that good cheap fare. You will so enjoy them. So happy the post office thing turned out great. Bureaucracies--"I thought he did it! I thought she did it!" I relate to this. Painting is the biggest pain to me, but it is so necessary. Once we start, I am surprised always that we let it get this bad. We have two rooms right now that are so sad.

Gloria, you know I envy you being so close that you can see your middle schoolers when they have something in school. We have two bigger grandchildren who are the products of divorce and we never get to see them in anything.

Girls, I think your lives sound wonderful. I love to hear about them.

Our barbecue for Mothers' Day has just shrunk from over 30 down to about 26, This will probably be a bit more manageable anyway. Hubby has worked himself silly in the yard--you would think it was the President visiting instead of just family.

All it does here is rain. I am trying real hard not to complain. Remember last summer when rain seemed like a dream? I am trying to remember those days!

This has been Monday all day!
Glenda