Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Ummmm Yummy!

I have recently (re)discovered Sweet potatoes!!! I had forgotten how wonderfully delicious they can be! - and GOOD for you!

What food(s) have you discovered since you've been dieting that are REALLY good-tasting & really nutritious to boot??
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #2  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
I have recently (re)discovered Sweet potatoes!!! I had forgotten how wonderfully delicious they can be! - and GOOD for you!

What food(s) have you discovered since you've been dieting that are REALLY good-tasting & really nutritious to boot??
I had a sweet potato today for lunch. I eat them often and LOVE them. My favorite way to make them even yummier is I mix up 2 tablespoons of fat-free cream cheese with a sprinkling of brown sugar, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, then mix it up with the sweet potato.

I'm so glad you discovered them, they're SO healthy!

Discovered foods, hmmmm ~ gosh I don't know, I mean I've always loved most vegetables. It's just that when changing my lifestyle, I eat way more of them than I used to. I guess I would have to say soy products were sort of a new discovery for me. Like veggie burgers and the like, a lot of those are made with soy. I'm not a vegetarian, I just like eating those as opposed to the red meat because, of course, they're lower in fat and calories. I also buy the Honeysuckle brand pre-made turkey burgers. Love those things!

Fruit is another. I was never a big fruit eater, but I've been trying to sneak more into my diet here and there.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Sweet potatoes for me too! I thought I didn't like them but now I can't believe I wasted my life eating regular potatoes (I swear, I say that so often that I ought to make it part of my signature ).

Turnips! Only 8 calories an ounce but they taste like a starch to me.

Wild rice--I thought I didn't like it but I tried some recently and it was actually pretty good.

Lean meats--chicken, fish, pork. Before I started my diet I was incredibly picky about my chicken, hardly ever ate fish, and never ate pork. Now all of these are staples in my diet. Pork is especially a surprise to me. Today I had lunch at a Cuban restaurant and ordered a spicy pork dish. Two years ago, I wouldn't have even considered it.

And plain non-fat Greek yogurt. Before my diet, I only ate full fat yogurt (although at least it was plain). But now I can't even taste the difference between Trader Joe's non-fat and 2% Greek yogurt (I conducted a taste test once). In fact, there a whole list of low-fat and non-fat dairy products that I thought were awful prior to my diet that are now staples for me. It's all a matter of being open to them.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 05-03-2007 at 09:37 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
Lean meats--chicken, fish, pork. Before I started my diet I was incredibly picky about my chicken, hardly ever ate fish, and never ate pork. Now all of these are staples in my diet. Pork is especially a surprise to me. Today I had lunch at a Cuban restaurant and ordered a spicy pork dish. Two years ago, I wouldn't have even considered it.
I like pork, but I like fish and chicken better. I eat quite a bit of fish. And lots of other seafoods as well.

I've got a great potato substitute - I eat mashed cauliflower. I LOVE that stuff!

By the way, Trader Joe's is a GREAT place to buy fish.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #5  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

Frozen berries topped with vanilla yogurt and grape nuts cereal. Yummy!
shyla2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #6  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

Sweet potatooooooooooes!!

We call them kumara in New Zealand. WAY prefer them to normal taters. One thing that's kinda cool to do with them is cook them (bake, steam, roast, whatever) along with some pumpkin and then get a cookie cutter and make little shapes with them. I like stars <3 Cuuuuute little side dish, or top them with stuff like salsa, and avocado. And smoked salmon in my omnivorous days.

The other thing I really, really dig is sushi. Wow.
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote