Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #20

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is HOT in my corner of the world today! The thermometer says it is 92 degrees and it's also quite windy. The school building was still cool from last week and my rooms on the north side paid off today big time this afternoon! Those on the south side were reallly warm by the end of the day.

Bob has a meeting until 6 and I need to find some more of my spring/summer clothes. If I would only put things away in an organized manner I would be able to find all the pieces when I wanted them. Maybe this is the summer that will happen!

"Gma" -- I'm sorry you missed most of the game; I'd have to agree with Thomas in the "boring" thoughts. I had to laugh at your description of his violin playing. When I was a kid my best friend played the violin, and I told my mom she sounded like when you run your fingers down a blackboard or a balloon. The bad part about church yesterday was that we had to wait 2 hours to go instead of just one. Several people came in late so we weren't the only ones who hadn't paid attention.

I'm off to do a clothes search and then get started on another load of wash. Do I iron the long sleeved shirts now or wait until fall? Hmmmmmm!?

Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow! Where did April go?

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #2  

Good morning flowers! We too, are going to have another hot one today, but that is fine with me. It will start warming up the pool! Only 27 more days and the pool opens, if it opens on time. I will be glad to get back out in it. I didn't get to use it as much last year with problems with it and such. We have several new renters so I am sure we will have big problems again this year.

Jean: My dilemna with the long sleeve shirts would go like this, "Hmmmm, do I take them to the laundry now, or wait until fall?" I hate ironing and because I am left handed it is a pain. I did buy a new iron where the cord sticks out of the top so I don't struggle so much with it, but I have to switch which way the board sits, fix the iron the right way, etc, etc. It is easier to take them to the laundry and fork over the $2 or at least watch for one of their sales and take them all at once. Since Jack wears uniforms now and not dress shirts any longer we don't have that problem. He likes his dress shirts laundered and folded so that is what I do. I take mine to the laundry because I use the couple cotton dress type shirts as jackets and have them heavy starched. I was having them medium starched, but after the first couple times, they weren't making them stiff enough so now I have them heavy starched.

My new copper top looks awful with the pants I thought it would look good with so I decided to go back to the broomstick skirt idea and found one on Catherine's that will fit the bill so I am getting that. I am also getting this cute pair of "fiesta" espadrilles to wear with it. The leather is different colors and I think they will look cute with the outfit.

I finished one side of the cardigan yesterday, but the other side I have to sew the back to the right side before I pick up stitches so haven't done that yet. I am almost to the point with the blue top where I separate the stitches from the circ needles and knit one side at a time, which means I am over halfway done on it. I have to get more yarn for T's blanket before continuing with it.

I guess I better get hopping and get some stuff done before the heat of the day makes the house warmer. We haven't had much problems with that so far so I am keeping my fingers crossed the ac will keep chugging along this year. It is as old as the furnace was so I expect it to go belly up in the next year or so.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is cooler here today, still windy, and the sun is shining. School was SSDD; I had my evaluation and guess I have a job for next year. *sigh* They are going to hire another special ed. teacher, another special ed. aide, a BD aide to replace the one who is moving, and a bilingual aide to share between the teachers as needed. They couldn't get anyone to interview for the bilingual position last fall nor the special ed. position at semester time . . . I wanted to ask if they thought anyone would be interested this fall. MEOW!

"Gma" -- Your knitting needles are smokin' for sure! I'm thinking I will hang Bob's long sleeved shirts in another closet for the summer and his short sleeved shirts in our closet. He still likes to wear long sleeves when he wears a suit. Someday (in my next life maybe???) I will be organized! You know that any piece of mechanical equipment you buy now will never last as long as what you have now, right? Our "new" furnace has a life of 10-15 years and we just had winter #11. I have a feeling that all the appliances will fall apart at once. My dishwasher racks are rusting and it will cost about as much to replace them as to buy a new (cheap) dishwasher. The dishwasher is 12 years old and works just fine. My washer needs a new water temperature thermostat (?) and the dryer needs "something" so it won't dry so hot, but I'm not paying for parts 'n service on either one. It's always something, that's for sure.

I'm off to do a quick "pick up the piles", call my "mom" for our semi-weekly chat, and head off to WW. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #4  

Good morning ladies! Just a short post as I am overwhelmed with work that needs to be done. I am having female issues and I felt pretty bad yesterday so didn't do anything. Not feeling up to snuff today, but the stuff has to be done so I have to get to it.

I sat and paid bills this morning, which is always fun. These companies sure do waste a lot of paper. I take paperless ebills when they offer them, but I still get tons of stuff between the junk mail, the flyers inside of bills, the catalogues you seem to get the minute you buy something from one store, etc. Now on top of that, my husband, who is an idiot sometimes, signed up for something and I am getting baby stuff like you wouldn't believe! lol I got a free Huggies sample the other day!

I better get scootin' or I won't get everything done I want to do today. Friday is errand day and I want the house all cleaned again by then so it is up and at 'em.

Faye
Old 05-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #5  

Hi, ladies - been very busy at work - overtime and all that so not much time for anything else.

Faye, I paid all my bills last night - 2 more to come in at the middle of the month and then I'm done. It's always a relief to get that done.

Finally finished Stan's sock and started mine.

Been in the high 80s but tomorrow is only in the 60s! What's with that.

Queen Elizabeth comes on Thursday. I'm not looking forward to that.

Have a good evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! Not much newsy from my neighborhood. It's been cooler again today . . . chilly actually. The sun was out and the wind was blowing. We had a planned fire drill this morning and it takes awhile for the kids to settle down afterwards. I was with a sub and she didn't know we were going to have one until about 30 seconds before because I was reminding the students where they were to go. Otherwise it was a pretty quiet day. I like it like that!

"Gma" -- Hope you are feeling better by the time you read this! We seem to get a lot of catalogs too. Some I just put in the recycle bag. Bob ordered some tractor parts online and now we are getting mechanical type catalogs too.

Susan -- I usually pay bills as they come and mail them back out the next day. One time I stuck a bill in a drawer thinking I would do it in a day or two. It was more like a couple weeks and by the time it arrived, it was past due. It's been my one and only late bill and I don't intend to let that happen again. Will you get a glimpse of the Queen?

I have a load of towels to fold and then I'm heading in the direction of bed! Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-03-2007, 04:13 AM   #7  

Good morning gals! Sounds like it is raining pretty hard outside, but we can really use the rain and I have no plans to be outdoors today. Tomorrow is errand day so I am hoping it will have traveled out of here by then.

Susan: I really want to try my hand at socks, but as usual, I have so many projects going already they are going to have to wait. I have a friend that is an avid sock knitter and keeps telling me I will become addicted if I ever start. Hope the queen's visit doesn't muck things up too much for you.

Jean: How is Amanda and Jason settling into the new home? Has he gotten his mailbox post set up yet? I always feel lucky when we actually get our mail!

Sounds like the animals are moving around upstairs, jumping on and off the bed, except Fortune who is afraid to so he sits at the bed and barks, which of course wakes up Jack. I am surprised he hasn't come down here with me, he usually does.

Well, not much news around here. Have a good Thursday everyone!

Faye
Old 05-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The rain came around noon along with wind and cooler temperatures. I sure hope we don't have a drought in July! I am sick of rain! I finally got both garage chore cats in the garage on my way home from school. I guess the one who has been spending the nights outside figured out it would be better to be inside tonight! She is a spook with an attitude while the other one is Mr. Social.

"Gma" -- I think Jason and Amanda have figured out they don't have as much room as they thought they did! My first impression is that it is more like an apartment than an actual house even though it is a separate building. Once they get the basement area finished they will be able to move more "stuff" down to the basement area. Jason and Ian got the mailbox post installed and he went ahead and bought four matching mailboxes to put on it. According to the USPS directions, he is to bill each new home owner for the cost of their mailbox and 1/4 of the post. It will be interesting to see if he ever gets paid back.

Not much exciting is going on in my neighborhood. I probably should head to the kitchen and decide on something for supper.

Have a relaxing evening and a fantastic Friday tomorrow! It is a half day for me and I can't wait!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #9  

Good morning ladies! It is rainy and very humid and sticky here this morning. I hate even being outside, but today is errand day so I have to get stuff done. Tomorrow is the dreaded commissary and I think Jack is planning on going tomorrow, we shall see.

As light bulbs burn out, we are replacing them with the new fangled ones that are supposed to last 5 years. I don't like them. For one thing they have a balast (sp?) in them like a flourescent so they don't light the minute the switch is turned and I don't think they give out as much light. We aren't supposed to put anything stronger than a 60 watt in anything here in the house the electrician said so I am starting to feel like we are walking around in half dark.

I got stuck in not one but two major traffic jams this morning after buying frozen food stuff from Walmart and figured it would all be soup because most of it was WW ice cream treats, but they seem to be ok. Everyone drives so crazy here when it is wet and so there are always tons of accidents and I got caught up in one and then went the other way to get out of it and got stuck in a big construction project going on the other way. Can't win I guess!

Jean: Poor Jason! I bet the neighbors never pay him. Maybe they will be nice people and willing to pay. I just find people are often jerks about stuff like that where the decision has been made for them.

I bought this cute cotton v-neck white top that has ruching at the bust at Cold Water Creek online. I saved something like $30 on it and it fits gorgeously and looks really cute with jeans. I wore it this morning and got the groceries out of the trunk and it has car gunk all over the bust area now! Dang! I put Shout on it and stuck it in the wash right away, but it can't be dried in the dryer so I guess I will have to go up and get something else to wear for the rest of the day. I am so jazzed I have lost enough weight to at least wear their tops. I have bought 3 so far and they have all fit and fit nicely.

I guess I better get a move on and maybe get some cleaning down this morning. I am not mopping until the rain moves out or I will be doing it over and over again with this icky white linoleum.

Have a great Friday and super weekend!

Faye
Old 05-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is raining again/yet. :-( I made a WM run after school and I think every senior citizen must have been there too. I was lucky enough to have a nice clerk help me find the CD that Amanda wanted. Her birthday is today and I sent her money in a card, but I always like to wrap a little something for her to open. We plan to see them on Sunday, rain or no rain, at the cabin.

"Gma" -- I looked at those new light bulbs and didn't think I would like them to read by . . . I want bright light! Jason and Amanda put some in a ceiling light over their table, in their old house. It took forever to come on and wasn't very bright, I didn't think. I'll stick to my 3-way bulbs for now. I'd like to try one of those lamps that is supposed to be like natural light. There's also an OTT light for sewing, but I don't know if that is the same thing as the natural light or not. When we go to SAM's Club, I have noticed some people have coolers in their cars and put their frozen/cold food in there rather than just loose in the trunk. We don't live that far from the grocery store here that I've ever done that. I hope the dirt/stain comes out of your new top. I've done the very same thing!

I'm off to do some laundry and sweep more water to the drain. I wish there was some way to fix the wall where the water leaks in, but it is the cement slab leading to the garage. I assume it would mean tearing out the furnace, hot water heater, and basement wall which doesn't excite me at all.

Hope you all have a good "rest of the day" and a super weekend. Stay dry!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another rainy, windy, foggy day in my corner of the world. The weatherman on TV said we could expect 3 - 5" more by tonight with severe thunderstorms and hail during the night. Great, just great . . . NOT! My duty time at the gift shop was slow today although I did sell a couple things. It is always cold in there, for some reason, so I dressed for it. I was still cold when I got home so have my space heater turned on and am drinking hot tea. I need to get back to my laundry after I am finished here. I should vacuum . . . "Mom" is shedding badly so spring must be here somewhere!

Well, my laundry is not getting done and I don't hear the vacuum running . . . must be the maid's day off! Have a nice afternoon!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #12  

Good Sunday morning ladies! I didn't realize I never posted yesterday. I had commissary duty and sometimes that takes forever like it did yesterday. Five days after military payday and retirement payday, first weekend, and they have 4 checkers!!! The line snaked down the front of the store, clear to the back and started around the frozen food cases! So it took forever to check out.

I have got to get some housecleaning done today. My downstairs looks like ick ick. Well, maybe not bad, but I know it hasn't been cleaned so it is ick to me!

I talked to my neighbor and besides Jack and I, several of the neighbors think there are drugs being sold out of the condo next door. People coming all hours of the day and night, the big wad of bills Jack saw the guy have when he went and complained about them blocking our garage, something funny going on in the garage, etc. The cars pull up and block the street, filthy music pouring out of their cars. They are doorag wearing, scary looking street trash too. I have written a letter to the man who owns the place and to the police, but haven't decided whether I should mail them or not. They are ready to go and aren't dated so I am going to think about it for a day or so and then decide what to do. I didn't sign them or anything and wrote them like it was coming from a group of the neighbors not just one person.

Well, I think the same maid Jean has that is shirking her duty is doing it at our house too so I better get started!

Have a good Sunday. Susan, hope you didn't get too trapped in your house with the Queen. I swear that hat of hers could have been seen in the dark!

Faye
Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am tired and ready to head off to bed. We had severe thunderstorms all night long and I kept waking up to be sure the electricity was still on. It was pouring rain when we got up and so windy again/yet. One of the sump pumps sounded like someone had turned the faucet on (Bob said it sounded like a cow peeing on a flat rock) and the water was just pouring in. The room with the area rug/furniture/TV is now also wet and we moved a few things out. The rest is sitting up on boards so as long as the sump pumps run, they will stay dry.

We did go up to MIL's cabin to hook up the water and do get a few things out of the shed. Bob is having the dock put in by an official dock installer because the water is too high for him to stand at the end this year. Jason and his family came too. Ian and Zowie tried to help Grandpa so everything took a little longer to get done. I made an angel food cake for Amanda's birthday. The recipe said to add Kool-Aid to flavor the cake and icing. The icing was way too sweet. Yuck! I think the humidity did the cake in . . . it tasted ok, but looked pretty sad!

"Gma" -- I'm wondering how the Queen transported all of her hats so they didn't get smushed?! She always looks so stern, I think. No matter what check out lane I choose, it ends up being the slowest one and I am usually beyond the point of no return when I realize that!

Hope you all have a marvelous Monday tomorrow! I am going to brush my teeth and head for bed!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies! Fortune had to go to the bathroom so I just decided to stay up after he came back in. It is hot and sticky again this morning. The humidity must be over the moon. Jack is going to have a lovely summer of working in this I bet!

I'm sitting here watching Fortune and he is pulling at the strings of my living room throw rug. I couldn't figure out why until I got up and went to see why. He somehow got a piece of dog food tangled up in it and was trying to get it out!

We talked to Jay yesterday and he said they had to take Alicia to the ER a few days ago. She was having contractions and her blood pressure shot up. They kept her a few hours and stabilized her and let her go home. He says she has been fine since then. I think she should go on maternity leave, but she feels financially she can't do it because of the way they pay for maternity leave at the store she works at. Poor thing stands in that pharmacy filling prescriptions all day and it has to be killing her back, legs and feet to do so with her being in her 9th month.

Jean: We have had a lot of rain, too, but it was sunny most of the weekend. I guess this is the first time in 8 years the Memphis in May Beale Street Music Festival hasn't gotten rained on. It is at Tom Lee Park next to the river and it becomes a mud pit. We never go to it. It is too noisy, too many drunks and too many people. There aren't really bands we are interested in hearing anyway, but if you like bands, it is a cheap way to get to see alot of them. I think from Friday night through Sunday night they have probably 50 bands/groups or something like that. We had some disgusting rap group that the city demanded they not sing filthy lyrics. Don't know how that went.

Looks like I am helping with the end of year teachers' luncheon at Thomas's school. Kelly is PTA president and is putting it on. She called me and asked me to pick up all the drinks, cookies and brownies at one place, go to the grocery store across the street and pick up the fried chicken, make potato salad and rolls and drive it all out to the school and set it up. She is coming during her lunch hour, but I can't stay and clean up so I hope she has a contingency plan for that. I have to go and get Jack and I have to leave my house no later than 2:30 to get there in time. I am cheating with the potato salad and using canned sliced potatos. I may make German Potato Salad and then won't have to boil eggs! I haven't decided yet. There are 70 teachers and there is no way I can make that much potato salad let alone pay for that much and rolls too. Hopefully she has people lined up to contribute to it.

Well, I am going to get started on the day. Hope you have a good one!

Faye
Old 05-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #15  

Hi, ladies. I've got a sinus and an ear infection (went to the doctor this morning) and feel pretty miserable. Dr. gave me a Z-pak prescription and said I'd feel better in 3-4 days. Meantime, I can't hear out of my left ear. One more hour and I can go home. After I take Stan to dialysis I'll go home and lay down until 8:30 when I have to leave to go back and get him. It's not good when the caregiver gets sick.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote