Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #1  
Getting Fit & Healthy!

S/C/G: 135/135/120?

Height: 5'3"

Default Introducing Myself...

Hello! I'm new to the board (been reading posts for a while, though - especially Glory's! Thanks for so much sound and sensible information and advice!). I'm slowly trying to steer myself toward a whole foods lifestyle - although I know it's going to take a while to wean myself away from certain staples i.e. Diet Pepsi. However, I think taking small steps is better than going cold turkey in terms of sustainability!

I am currently at 135 lbs, 5'3". Was around 140 lbs two years ago and lost ~15 lbs in 6 months via calorie counting (lots of Lean Cuisine and other processed junk) and not a lot of exercise. I gained back almost all of the weight within 6 months, and then gave up entirely and let myself sit at 135 lbs for the past year. I've just been way too complacent - eating all kinds of junk food, no sense of portion control, eating until I can't breathe, going out for dinner all the time, etc. And I finally decided not only do I want to look better, but I want to feel better. I hate all of the feelings involved with my binge-y eating - the discomfort of being stuffed, the guilt/shame of overeating, the promises to "start fresh tomorrow". I want to feel GOOD, mentally and physically!

I've taken the first step by joining a 5K training program at my office's fitness center - I'm in the 6th week of the program which involves running 3x week and strength training 2x week. Today I ran 3.7 miles in 40 minutes, a personal best! My short-term goal is to be able to run 4 miles...and long-term, even more!

The committed exercise program has really helped me WANT to start focusing on healthy eating. I want to see the results of my hard work in the gym, and I want to feel good while I'm exercising (i.e. fueled w/healthy foods). So now I need to focus my commitment to sensible, healthy eating.

I am planning to count calories (at least initially - I believe it trains you in portion control), and I like to have protein with each meal and snack - although I don't eat a lot of meat. I rely on low-fat dairy for protein (especially low fat cottage cheese - great source). One of my first goals is to incorporate more veggies/fruits, and cut back on anything processed.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with all of you!!
ChiTownChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #2  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
I am planning to count calories (at least initially - I believe it trains you in portion control),
That it certainly does. I could probably get away with not counting calories now (I've been doing it for almost 3 years) because I can look at a piece of meat and tell you how many ounces it is or tell you what 5 ounces of lettuce looks like or when I'm cutting up something to put on my digital scale, I'll say, "That's about 6 ounces right there," and I'm usually always on the mark. So yeah, I could probably do without the calorie-counting and still keep my weight down, but I'm a serious calorie snob and I need to know how much I'm eating, whether I need to count or not.

I know all about the eating too much and promising myself I'll start fresh tomorrow, but for me that tomorrow never came. I did this diet and that diet and procrastinated so often that before I knew it, I was 220 pounds. Don't let the same thing happen to you. You sound like you're on the right track and eating healthy feels sooooooooo good! Not only physically, but mentally. You feel better about yourself.

Welcome to the boards! You'll find a SEA of wonderful and useful information here and everyone, including the moderators, are helpful beyond belief
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #3  

Welcome Valerie

So nice to have you join us. I think this is the best way of eating around.. for me it definately is the most delicious! And good going on the exercise. Please feel free to join us at the exercise sticky at the top of the forum. We each set our own exercise goals and report in to stay accountable. Also,there are lots of good whole foods recipes scattered here and there.. some are in the Sonoma/Medieterrean dit forum

Linda - that's great you can estaimte so well. I suck at it. . I still find myself underestimating portion sizes. I love my food scale, measuring cups and my spoons!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #4  
Getting Fit & Healthy!

S/C/G: 135/135/120?

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
I think this is the best way of eating around.. for me it definately is the most delicious!
I think I realized today just how delicious the whole foods lifestyle can be - for lunch, I made myself a wrap - a whole wheat tortilla with tomato basil hummus, baby spinach leaves, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, and a couple sundried tomatoes. It was insanely good - so good that I can't wait to have another one for lunch tomorrow. And, the wrap with a side of low fat cottage cheese kept me so full that I only ate 1/2 of my planned afternoon snack - I just wasn't all that hungry. Anyway - if I think back to my original weight loss success two years ago where I was living on Lean Cuisines - lunch could have been a Lean Cuisine pizza and an apple. Sure, I got to eat "pizza" - but it didn't taste that good, didn't fill me up, and didn't provide any nutritional benefit for my body. It was just my junk-addicted self saying "wow! I get to eat pizza and lose weight!"... I just didn't really know any better at the time - I thought as long as my calories were in check, I could be successful. Who knew I would be 100x more satisfied by a hummus and veggie wrap!
ChiTownChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/145/125

Height: 5'5

Default Hello

Hey everyone!!
I'm also new around here! I did post in the April exercise sticky...but then disappeared! Been very busy lately, finishing up the semester at school! Anyway I also read the lovely Glory's story and bought the book Superfoods Rx and absolutely was set on this way of eating! I've always made healthy choices, and love my fruits and veg. but I had a binge prob! It has been cured..thanx to whole foods! I have soo much energy.. and only eat my 3 main meals with a couple of snacks in between! I do need some sort of structure...I was a Jenny Craiger for a while but wasn't too happy about eating everything out of a microwave...and the weight never stayed off...and I Love to cook.. so this way of eating is making me very happy! Soo I'm happy to find u all to chat with!!
CHICKpea3241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
Linda - that's great you can estaimte so well. I suck at it. . I still find myself underestimating portion sizes. I love my food scale, measuring cups and my spoons!
Oh yeah! I still use them. My food scale has become my best friend, LOL.

I've just gotten so used to doing it that it's second-nature to me, but I still weigh and measure everything.

Habit!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
I think I realized today just how delicious the whole foods lifestyle can be - for lunch, I made myself a wrap - a whole wheat tortilla with tomato basil hummus, baby spinach leaves, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, and a couple sundried tomatoes. It was insanely good - so good that I can't wait to have another one for lunch tomorrow. And, the wrap with a side of low fat cottage cheese kept me so full that I only ate 1/2 of my planned afternoon snack - I just wasn't all that hungry. Anyway - if I think back to my original weight loss success two years ago where I was living on Lean Cuisines - lunch could have been a Lean Cuisine pizza and an apple. Sure, I got to eat "pizza" - but it didn't taste that good, didn't fill me up, and didn't provide any nutritional benefit for my body. It was just my junk-addicted self saying "wow! I get to eat pizza and lose weight!"... I just didn't really know any better at the time - I thought as long as my calories were in check, I could be successful. Who knew I would be 100x more satisfied by a hummus and veggie wrap!
I love eating this way. It makes me feel good mentally and physically. Sure, I still reach for the occasional Lean Cuisine when I'm in a hurry or just too lazy to fix anything. But for the most part I eat lean meats and vegetables. I made a wonderful salad the other day with avocado and apples and sweet red pepper and it was so good!

As for pizza, I agree about the LC pizzas. They're ok in a pinch, but I'd rather make my own. I use a flatbread pita and pile on a bunch of fresh veggies, then toss it in the oven to get it crispy. So much better than the LC's.