Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #1  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Default Pictures from Peru!

Alright! I decided to go out out the other day and risk getting mugged so I could get some pictures. The only ones I couldn`t get were the watermelon and pineapple stands, since those come out in the afternoon and I wasn`t about to take out my camera then.

This is the fruit stand at the end of my block. I took this at the end of the week so it`s a bit empty (in part because I clean it out of bananas, chirimoyas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirimoya, pacays http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/pacay.htm, and mandarines )

The juice and ceviche stands right next to it.

Both of these show where I get my vegetables and sometimes other fruits. What it doesn`t show is the inch of dirty water and mud at my feet.

The following show the reasons why I am one step away from being a vegetarian.

The meat market. Not shown are the flies and mangy dogs.

The chicken market. Not shown are the flies and the dogs.

The fish market. Not shown are the flies and the SMELL. You can smell the fish market about two blocks away. The water all comes from the fish, so it`s advisable that you wear closed shoes and walk a bit before going home.

What else is new? The official scale is officially broken and the gym doesn`t look like it`s going to replace it. Here is the new official scale:

It is in a crowded pharmacy and there`s a little red light under "obese" that lights up when I get on it. It also spits out this little paper that says that you are going to die if you don`t lose weight (I`m not kidding). Obviously, I will only be weighing myself once a month from now on.

Good luck to all of you and have a great week!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #2  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Thanks for the pictures! Whenever I travel I’m always fascinated by the marketplaces and where people get their food. You’re right, that meat market is scary, I think there would me a lot more vegetarians in the states if our meat markets suddenly looked like that. The produce stands however, those are so colorful and lovely.

That is so crazy about the scale, I can’t believe it has a red “obese” light! Does it ask you for your height? I’m just trying to figure out how it knows what category you fall into (immanent death, healthy as a hoarse, etc)
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Interesting pictures, they remind me of when I've been in Mexico

Also, I am going to Chile (and on to Antarctica) at the end of the year so I am excited One day I will make it to Peru as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

archy! Thanks for letting us have a visual taste of what you face!

That scale--well--I suppose it could be worse, it could have a siren and a loudspeaker...

Those meat, chicken, fish stands... It reminds me of why it is that COOKING food is so important... argh...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Archy thanks for the pics. I was hoping there would be one of the cheese with the flies. But that's ok there were enough other simply appetizing pics, like the meat. Yeah, not looking too - yummy. I guess Steak tartare' is not too popular there. Hopefully anyway.

The scale REALLY tells you to lose weight or die? Whoa. Even my doctor never quite put it that way (although he probably should have).

Have a great week yourself Archy. Looking forward to your next post.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #7  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I really should go weigh myself and scan the little paper. It says your height, your weight, your age, severely obese and in danger of imminent death.

Shananigans - I love my corner fruit stand. It`s so clean, and even though the lady is mean, it`s better than going to the market. Especially after it rains. Yeah, there would be more vegetarians. Imagine in our hyper-clean germ-free culture if for a piece of meat you had to go to a stinky market and see which fly infested piece of meat you want in your stew. Gross. I`m so not having lunch today.

Nelie - Wow. Are you going by Valparaiso in Chile? Is it a southern only trip? Will you be hiking there? Farthest south in Chile I`ve been in Valparaiso and it was really a great city.

JayEll and Robin - Cooking? I sometimes want to spray disinfectant on my meat!

Honestly, the market place is really gross. The flies, the unwashed masses, the smell...if it wasn`t for the little corner stores I would be eating out every day, and getting fatter in the process.

KISS YOUR GROCER FOR ME!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #8  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Archy!

You are better than Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel!

Thanks for sending the pictures for us all to see!

My idea of "roughing it" is no jacuzzi, so my visor tips to you m'lady as you deal with all you need to deal with there in Peru! I DO love digging in dirt, however, yet I never found anything terribly interesting over the years in my various backyards!

I'm hoping much fresh water, a big boiling pot, and cooler weather for you. I know you got all your innoculations, but check again for me, OK?

We are about the same height and we ARE the same weight right now! Good Luck on losing those last few pounds! Mine are VERY STUBBORN, but my INCHES are more cooperative!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

That is SO COOL! I soooo wish I had a fruit stand just around the corner from my house so I could get fresh fruit any ol' time I wanted!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by archy View Post
Nelie - Wow. Are you going by Valparaiso in Chile? Is it a southern only trip? Will you be hiking there? Farthest south in Chile I`ve been in Valparaiso and it was really a great city.
Actually, we fly into Santiago and stay there for a while then fly down to Ushuaia, which I believe is actually Argentina. We will be doing some hiking near Ushuaia From there, we get on a boat and cruise to Antarctica.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #11  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

very interesting pics..I know I would be a vegetarian if I had to get my meat from there lol. I can't believe about that scale..that is crazy!
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #12  

The markets look a lot like the ones on the island I stayed at in Greece. This wasn't a tourist island, just a little towns. I had trouble getting over walking past a goat hanging in a doorway lol
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #13  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Archy - thanks for reminding me of my stop in Lima. I've been to a lot of markets in a lot of third worlds while working as onboard artist on 2 world cruises. The dogs on spits in Vietnam were the most unusual.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #14  

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Interesting pictures, they remind me of when I've been in Mexico

Also, I am going to Chile (and on to Antarctica) at the end of the year so I am excited One day I will make it to Peru as well.
Hi Nelie, I live in Santiago, Chile, so if you need some info about anything just ask. I hope you enjoy your stay in Chile
punchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #15  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

OMG I love your stories and pictures! I can't believe that scale!
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote