Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #1  
Liz

S/C/G: 307/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default Am I horrible for eating a club sandwich?

I'm so stupid at this sometimes. I ate a Turkey and Ham club on wheat with tomatoes and bacon... Am I doomed to be fat forever? I'm still trying to figure out what I should eat and shouldn't. I consumed about 900 calories before the club... Did I blow it??? I didn't eat anything else. No french fries or anything, just the sandwich..
Holdensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Liz, I've no idea about the calorie count of the sandwich, but I want to reinforce to you that it's just one meal. It's not like you have blown the "rest of your diet" unless you let this get you off track. We all have meals where we eat something that is not the best choice, but as long as you stay right on track, this won't make any difference in your overall weight loss. (It probably wasn't such a bad choice anyway.)

That was one of the key things that I had to learn when I started trying to lose weight. In the past, I used to think that if I had screwed up one meal, the rest of my day was screwed up, so I might as well eat what I want. That kind of thinking was what got me in trouble.

So just keep going. It wasn't horrible, and you've not blown anything.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #3  
Liz

S/C/G: 307/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Thanks, Tammy. You are right. Getting right back on track is one of the things I've really been working on this time around. Saturday before last I went to a wedding and had a few (5) glasses of wine and I still lost a pound that week.. Thanks for the support! I'm gonna go get on the treadmill (in a few minutes).ha..ha..
Holdensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

Next time, order 1/2 a club sandwich, w/mustard instead of mayo, and ask for only one slice of bacon or no bacon. Eat a salad with it. I don't think it's good to deny yourself completely when you have a craving, just think of portion sizes.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #5  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

well it was better than eating a bacon cheeseburger or fried chicken or nachos (you get the point). What I mean to say is it wasn't the worst choice in the world, so don't think you've "blown it." Just keep right on track with your next meal!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #6  

I have come to try an discipline myself the same way I do my children. When they behave poorly I address the specific behavior that I am upset about, rather than attack their character. Are YOU horrible for having eaten a club sandwich? Absolutely not. Could you have made a better choice? Sure. And that is where the lesson is. Think about healthier alternatives to order next time, and when you are faced with a similar decision in the future remember the regret you felt when you ate the club sandwich today. Sometimes it will be worth it, sometimes not. The point, in the end, is to make mindful choices that you can live with.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Just FYI-- FitDay lists a chicken, bacon, and tomato club sandwich as being 555 calories. Assuming the turkey version is close to that, that would put your total at 1450 cals. If that's your total for the entire day, then it's not too bad.

This shows why planning what you're going to eat is helpful--you can look up ahead of time what the "calorie hit" is going to be and make decisions accordingly.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

I don't think you made too bad of a choice. My DH and I go out to eat a couple times a week and I choose a club sandwich a lot. I usually take the bacon off and order the mayo on the side. I also usually only eat 1/2 of it (I tend to get filled up easily).

It's kind of easy to put into Fitday (ham, turkey, cheese and bread) and I go away feeling satisfied both with the food and the calories. It's not something you want to eat on a regular basis, but personally I don't think its the worst choice

To me, this is a life long journey and I have to be able to live with it the rest of my life. Am I always going to eat rabbit food? I don't think so. So you know how you eat the rest of the day and if you can afford the extra calories once in a while, I say go for it. I'm sure you are working hard on your journey (just like the rest of us) so don't feel guilty over one club sandwich.

Good luck on your journey!
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #9  
Heather

S/C/G: 203/180/130

A club sandwich is not that bad... the turkey and ham are lean meats, wheat bread is good for you. The bad parts is the bacon, cheese and mayo. They may not be good for you, but you didn't eat that much of them, so I'm sure they didn't hurt too badly... Don't torture yourself over this... You're doing fine..

Don't feel bad, my breakfast this morning was a grilled ham, egg and chesse sandwich on sourdough bread, grilled with a very little bit of promise butter, and I used egg beaters insead of regular eggs (which after disecting my sandwich, I ended up pulling some of the eggs and bread off of the sandwich and throwing it away). My whole sandwich was more than 300 calories, but I do not feel the least bit guilty! I was having a craving, I knew what I wanted, and it satisfied me for the better part of the day. If I hadn't eaten what I wanted, I would have been munching all day looking for that something I wanted. What would have hurt me more? I'm not saying it's ok to pig out just becuase it's what you want, but if you are craving a certain food, even if it's not the best of choices, to me, it's better to eat a little of that something you want, rather than eating all kinds of different things, only to not be satisfied and move on to the next thing an hour later... ya know? (sorry about the run on sentence)

Let me tell you something. Most of the time, I eat what I want, and I still lose weight. Sometimes slower than others, but still... What I do is, I like to take the foods I really like, and alter it to make it healthier (like promise butter and egg beaters on my sandwich) I do this alot. If it's something that cannot be altered, then I eat less of it, maybe eat half the amount that I normally would have before the diet, and substitute the other half with veggies or whatever... Also, before the diet, I would eat foods I didn't really like, just becuase it was there. I did this especially with side dishes at dinnertime. Like boxed mac and cheese... yuk... But I would make it for the kids, and I would eat it too, just becuase I could, not becuase I wanted to. I do not do this anymore. I eat only what I like, and sub the rest with veggies.

Hope this helps...
cajungal328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Here where I live, there is very little selection for healthy food options when eating out. I order a club sandwich on wheat with mustard instead of mayo. leave off the cheese and bacon. It suits me fine and I never feel guilty about it. It comes with fries, so I tell them to leave those off my plate. There are WAY worse foods that we could be eating.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #11  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Liz!

I agree with the crowd! No big deal on the sandwich-eating thing! RELAX!!

Since I am STILL learning to eat normally after overeating FOR YEARS, I have found some things that are helping.

1) Control portions by using a smaller plate, eating 1/2 or 1/3 of the food at a restaurant and either giving the rest to one of my skinny family members (!) or boxing it up to have for lunch the next day.

2) Making veggies the focus of the meal with a much smaller portion of meat.

3) Having ONE piece of bread/roll and EATING IT SLOWLY without butter.

4) Drinking lots of water BEFORE the dinner comes to the table.

5) Making myself a cup of tea or coffee to sip as I am cooking so I won't sample as I cook.

6) Eating every three hours.

7) Protein and fiber at breakfast keep me going into the morning without grumblies hitting!

8) Eat what I want but PLAN for it using Fitday.

9) Eat something BEFORE going out to eat. It's easier to pass up tortilla chips and the bread basket that way!

10) If I DO have something that is really yummy, know that I PLANNED my day to include a certain number of calories. After I have eaten that amount, that's IT!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
Here where I live, there is very little selection for healthy food options when eating out. I order a club sandwich on wheat with mustard instead of mayo. leave off the cheese and bacon. It suits me fine and I never feel guilty about it. It comes with fries, so I tell them to leave those off my plate. There are WAY worse foods that we could be eating.
That's what I do. I usually ask for a substitute in place of the fries, like a side salad or cottage cheese or maybe even a cup of a broth-based soup. No mayo or bacon or cheese on the sandwich.

I think you're my astral twin. Just about every post of yours I read is like - well I've said it before - looking into a mirror

And Holdensmom, you're not horrible for eating that! I say count it as an enjoyed experience and move on
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #13  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I have no idea how many calories, fat etc. are in that sandwich, but I know that you are not horrible for having eaten it! The only thing that could 'blow your diet' if if you were to decide that it has, and would consequently make wrong choices for the rest of the day, the week, the month... And so on.

It's hard to do it 'the perfect way' from the start, if it's ever possible to be 'perfect' at this (yeah, right). Trial & error as well as little bumps is something most of us have/have had to go through at some point. If this wasn't supposed to be your last meal of the day, just make sure that tonight's dinner will contain veggies, lean meat, in a word: healthy choices, and tomorrow it'll be behind.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/123/120

Height: 5'5

I agree with everyone!!! And I love Club Sandwiches
That is the only time I have bacon and usually only have
one slice on it! I like turkey bacon so if I make it at home
that is what I use.

By the way you are NOT horrible !!!!
Lovestorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I make a "grilled" club sandwich often for me and my family for dinner! I use fat free mayo, two slices each of turkey, turkey ham and low fat provolone and only 1 slice of bacon per sandwich and 2-3 slices of tomato. I grill them using Pam instead of butter. I would probably do a lot better if I used whole wheat, but my kids like it with sourdough, so I've been using that (but next time, I think I'll conveniently be "out" of sourdough!!). I serve it with cut up carrots, celery and pea pods with a low fat dip for those that need to dip the veggies. I don't think this is a bad meal at all!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote