Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222.2/222.2/127

Height: 5' 4"

Unhappy Motivation Needed BADLY!!!

I am not on LA Weight Loss, but I have a friend who has just started it and she has two other friends that have been on it for a while and are losing a lot of weight. I am seeking motivation from everyone hoping something will click and I finally get myself going. There's a part of me that wants to join LA Weight Loss, but I know it is very expensive and I really don't have the money for it. I know I could do it without actually joining, but I don't think I have the discipline I would need to be successful. So there's part of me saying spend the money, join, and work hard at being successful. I guess I'm just afraid I will spend the money and not work hard and not be successful. Lets face it I've definately tried many, many other diets and have failed miserably or done well, but gained it all back as soon as I was done. So please, please, please give me some genuine guidance as to what I should do. I have gained so much weight this past year it's ridiculous. I'm up to 222 pounds. I should only be about 125 to 130 ideally. I can't even fathom losing 100 pounds! I just can't! I take medicine for depression, high blood pressure, and reflux. I'm only 36 and have been on all of this for a year or so now. Even though I know I need to lose weight for my health and for the simple fact that I would feel better I still don't have any motivation to do it. I am becoming a sleep monster as I am always taking 3 or more hour naps. I'm thinking that can't be good either. So please, please, please HELP ME find my much needed motivation!
Sherry36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Ask your friend if you can piggyback on the program she's doing for a while and plan your meals accordingly... Get rid of all the junky stuff in the house. If you have a significant other or kids, let them know they need to help you out.. The biggest downfall can be going on a diet but still having the chips and cookies within reach... They will understand and be healthier for it too...

Then, take a picture of yourself as you are now and post it somewhere, either on the fridge, dresser mirror or on the bathroom mirror..

The picture stands as a reminder and will probably depress you for a while.. But if you stick to the program and I mean REALLY stick to it, you'll start seeing results.. Three months down the line, take another picture and post it next to the one you took first...

It's hard at first, but you'll find after getting into the groove, it become easier because you're still eating your own food and not tied down to pre-packaged stuff... But you have to stay true to it, because it's so finely tuned that any deviations during the first stages of the diet will hamper your efforts.

Watch things like processed foods like cheese and lunchmeat.. They are full of salt and with women especially, that's a big diet killer... Try to only eat naturally made cheeses.. They may still have a bunch of salt, but they lack the other bad stuff..

The biggest trick to LAWL is moderation.. Weigh your foods and don't go over your daily allotments.. You'll probably find that you're actually eating more than you're used to, but the balance created by the diet will actually speed the weight loss.. This is not a starvation diet by any means...

One hurdle you'll face is your anti-depression meds.. For some reason they seem to impede weight loss, but don't let your heart dispare.. It will work if you keep your will power strong...

Use your friends and this site as a support group... We all have our ups and downs and rely on each other for occassional pep talks and new ideas..

Good luck!!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #3  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

S/C/G: 200.2/172/140

Height: 5'5"

Sherry, I've been in your shoes recently...needing the motivation to not give up, to keep going, to do what it takes to get things done. I don't have any magic words of wisdom for you, but will soldier on with you in spirit to find the motivational spark to inspire you (and me!) to get up, get moving, make smart choices, etc. Stay here, at this board, even if you opt not to pay for the program...the folks here are wonderful and can always be relied upon to give you the boost you need.

Hang in there, sister.
hdsqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #4  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Sherry- I have been there. I started this diet at 220, though my high is 260. My mom talked me into joining with her, and I mainly did it to support her. To my great suprise, the weight was coming off really fast. I did not use the bars or other products, just an all food plan. I found this site early on, and I have stayed close to these great people who have really helped me along the way. I set small goals, usually 10 lbs, with a reward at the end. I bought clothes, shoes, jewelery, makeup, etc. for rewards. I even splurged on a new comforter set for my bed when I broke the 200 mark. I still use that comforter a lot, and I love the reminder of where I came from that it gives. I can tell you from my own experience, that the best motivation I had was success. The more I lost, the more I wanted to lose. The more compliments I recieved, the harder I tried. I amazed myself. I really thought that I was destined to be fat and frumpy. Now I weigh 100 lbs less than my highest, I am pushing for 40 more. I look and feel like a new person. I know there have been times that I have wished I could wave a wand, and make it all go away, but you know what? It has been a great trip so far. Not always easy, but great. My challenge to you is to make a list of reasons that you want to lose weight. Post it somewhere you will see it a lot. I saw a lot of "can'ts" and "didn'ts" in your post. I am here to tell you that you CAN do this. It is time to start believing in yourself, and doing the best thing you will ever do for yourself. If we can be of any assistance to you in your weight loss journey, please come and post. I know that I am not alone when I say that we will help you all that we can.

Katie
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #5  

Default Thank You!!

Thank you Dan and Meghan, I appreciate the help and support you've given me. I'm going to pick up a food scale tomorrow so I can weigh and measure food as needed and I'll go from there. I will have a lot of changes to make if this is going to work, fortunately, I do have the support of my kids and hubby which will make it a little easier. I will be sure to check in here often though as my skinny family doesn't always understand the internal struggles I have. In that regard I will definately find more support here.

Again, Thanks guys!!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #6  

Katie,

Along with following the plan did you exercise? I like your challenge. I have all the reasons in my head as to why I should lose the weight, but I've never written them down and I don't even know if my reasons are really my own or simply because I should. I'll have to work on that. Thank you for your support and words of encouragement.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #7  
-- Karen --

S/C/G: 165/143/140

Height: 5' 6"

Katie,

i think that your comments are a great inspiration to all of us. What a great thought - no more can'ts and don'ts. Rather look at life as I CAN do this.

And Sherry36 - I am sure that you CAN do this. There is a lot of support on this board, and just think how good you feel about yourself when you make the commitment that you CAN do it.

Hang in there.
slim n trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #8  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

My advice would be to try it on your own based on your friend's plan. If you find that you aren't motivated enough to do it that way, though, I would highly recommend joining yourself. I know it's a lot of money (trust me, I'm a student!) At first I was sure I couldn't afford it, but I eventually realized what I REALLY couldn't afford was to let myself get unhealthy. I would honestly say it's turned out to be the best purchase of my life! And don't worry about spending the money and then not following it; that's what the counselors are there for. It doesn't happen overnight, but they teach you how to stay on plan.

Either way you choose to do it, I know you can be very successful on the program! And you can always come here for advice and support, of course!
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #9  

It's tough being positive. It will be one of the many changes I will have to make. Whew.... I think I'll need a list for all of the changes I need to make.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #10  
Katie

Sherry- I did not exercise until I had lost about 50 lbs. I just followed my plan, cheated rarely, and drank lots and lots of water.

Slim n Trim- Thanks!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #11  
Katie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry36 View Post
It's tough being positive. It will be one of the many changes I will have to make. Whew.... I think I'll need a list for all of the changes I need to make.
You will get there! Starting is the first step, and believing that it will work. The positive attitude will fall into place.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #12  
Debbie on LAWL

S/C/G: 239/223/135

Height: 5'5

Sherry-
I second everything Katie and Dan said. This group is full of love and support. You will NEVER be alone in this journey and will more than likely make friends that will last a lifetime while losing weight and feeling better.

You CAN make it happen...take baby steps if needed, everything counts. We are here to help so ask questions...vent....share your victories! Lean on us when no one else understands..that is what we are all here for...but start today...you CAN DO IT and you are so worth it!!!!

Big Hugs!!!
Debbie
Debbie367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #13  

I'm lovin it.... I barely get a reply typed and someone else has replied!

Thank you everyone for your help. It means a lot!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #14  

Height: 5'9"

Hi everybody. Haven't had time to catch up on everything. Hope everyone is still losing!

Katie I really needed to read your initial message here. I have been suffering a lack of motivation, why me?, etc. and your message was inspirational. I can do this! Thank you!

Hang in there everyone and have a POP day.
BobbySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #15  
Katie

Anytime girl!