Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #1  
Half-marathoner.

S/C/G: 175/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Masochistic while "dieting"--are you?

Hello everyone,

I'm 24 and I've struggled with bingeing ever since I can remember. ****, even when I was in elementary school, I'd go home after school and eat a couple hostess cakes, at the very least. My mom never really limited our food intake. Needless to say, I've always been overweight.

Because I've always been on the heavy side, I have always attempted to "fix" the problem. But, if you're like me, your attempt is a setup for failure. You know how it goes. You're sick of being overweight, so THIS TIME, you're going to do something about it. You've planned your meals for the next week or month, and you're going to follow it exactly as planned. But, one day, it gets old, or you have a 50 calorie piece of chocolate. Well, by this point, you've ruined it. Then, the binge begins.

Now you've binged. You need a plan. And it continues. Over the last week or two, this is what I've been going through. It sucks because I had been doing okay for quite a while.

I'm wondering what everyone does to keep it under control. For me, I think the best thing for me to do, the thing I've been avoiding while having all these other plans that I blow, is to eat normal meals. That sounds so simple, doesn't it?

I guess I have an advantage. I don't HAVE to keep food in my kitchen. I'm in the military and the dining facility is right across the street from me. Yes, I can eat EVERY meal there and all it takes is a short walk. So, I figure I can just go through the line, make healthy choices and call it a meal. I mean, all this time, I've been so focused on calories or meal plans. I could really just save myself the trouble, right?

Any advice or words of encouragement would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

~33Zen
thirty3zenlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Just trying to eat normal meals has gotta be the best thing to do for us folks who have eating disorder issues. So, I would say go with that idea!!
Also, keeping no food is probably also a good idea (at least it would work for me too). Because then there is no food to even be able to binge on if one was having a weak moment at home. I sometimes go into periods where I do the same thing (well, as best I can as I live at home and there are other people who are able to be okay around food in the house) and just only order takeout or eat out, if there are no snacks in the house and I am only given single portions from restaurants my eating is better.

I wish you all sorts of strength!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

I agree. I'm not saying that dieting is the wrong answer for everyone, but I think that for those of us prone to bingeing, it sets us up for failure. I've stopped dieting. I eat 3 meals of normal food and an afternoon snack. I avoid foods that might trigger a binge, and if I'm having a treat, try to control the environment (eg. have it with other people, single portion, etc.). Of course, I'm trying to lose some weight, so I have to exercise restraint. The weight is coming off slowly, but it's coming off, and more importantly, I'm not bingeing. I can see sticking with this plan for the long run. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #4  
Half-marathoner.

Thank you so much for the replies. It's good to know that this actually works for people. I did just initially post last night, but so far, things are great. I had both breakfast and lunch in the dining facility. While my meals may have been a little higher in calories than ones I would have planned out for myself, it's saving me calories in the long run because if all goes well, I won't have the desire to binge if I eat decent meals. In addition to eating well, I ran just over 4 miles today, so that's good. I'm going to stick to this and see where things go from here. Please if you have anything to add, don't hesitate. Thanks again! 33Zen
Old 05-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Hey there - I was in the mil too, and while I was able to "somewhat" control the binge behavior because I was surrounded by people and ate at the galley most of the time, my solution now has been the "anti-diet" - I don't deny myself any foods but definitely use moderation and make healty choices a majority of the time.

I think your approach is a great one! Best of luck to you!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #6  
Half-marathoner.

Thanks everyone! So far, this has proven to be an effective way of "not dieting." I mean, it's easy to follow a plan where there are no "EXACT" measures. I have just been having a plateful of food to include healthy portions of a variety of foods. I have some type of fruit for breakfast in addition to either oatmeal with peanut butter and fruit topping OR french toast w/fruit topping and a hashbrown. For lunch and dinner I'm sure to include AT least a vegetable or two with each meal. Today was lasagna, a scoop of mashed potatoes, and broccoli. They were out of skim milk, so I just had a small glass of reduced fat. I pass up the bread, rolls, etc. I am by no means anti-carbs, but I'd rather get them from other sources. I am, however, a runner. So, if I go out for a ten-miler, while in training, I'll eat a damn bagel afterwards,...or a stack of pancakes. LOL. But, you get my point. I'm avoiding the scale, because that's another thing that sets me off, BUT I'm sure over time, I'll notice a difference (a positive one, I should say).
Thanks again! I hope everyone's week is going well. The weekend will be here before we know it!