Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 AM   #1  

Default Stood on the scale and am terribly upset

I really don't understand it. Its been 2 months since I started exercising. I have been quite persistently hitting the gym, doing cardio, doing step classes and lifting weights. My trainer has commented that I do look different and am fitter than when I first started. I been eating right with one or two minor stumbles along the way. Nothing major. The only time I ate fastfood was the Burger King breakfast muffin thing 2 weeks back. Other than that I have been pretty good.

So why is it that yesterday afternoon when I stood on the scale, the weight told me I am pretty much back to where I first started. No weight loss. Nothing. Zlich. If anything, the scale is telling me I have GAINED weight.

I feel angry. Upset. Cheated. Absolutely depressed. Fine, my old clothes fit now so I know that at least something positive is happening here. But I want the scale to agree with me. I want the numbers to tell me I am working towards my goal. But they aren't.

shockingp.
shockingpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

If you are looking fitter but the scale isn't changing, you are probably losing fat and gaining muscle. Go you!

How tall are you? 57 kg is about 126 pounds.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:47 AM   #3  
baby steps

Height: 5ft 4inches

hi,
I was trying to work out your weight chart as well, is it correct
imworthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/165/202

Height: 5'7

Smile

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago ,but i was feeling great so much energy .i ran and drank water and ate great i wish i would of stuck with it .but i had a medical condition get in my way and quit .i keep reading posts it does not happen over night thats very true .im going to go to a free weight watchers class tomorrow and learn portion control just for the heck of it ,and get a food scale maybe that might help push you as well they are having free meetings at the moment good luck on your journey will never no unless we stick with it!
katt0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #5  

red, worthit,

Am pretty short (what would I give for long legs). Am about 4'9 the last time I checked. So that's 153 cm?

shockingp
Old 04-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey shockingpurple! Yeah, that's frustrating!

Some years ago I decided that I would lose weight by exercising, and I had the same experience over time as you have had--I got really fit and strong! Which was GREAT! But I didn't lose weight. I think redlight is right that some of it is more muscle--but the other thing for me was that I wasn't watching or tracking my food intake.

It seems like when we exercise more, we also tend to eat more unless we have some way of judging how much we're eating--portion size, calories, points, whatever.

Don't give up! Try something different! For me, I count calories as well as exercising.
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #7  
No description available.

I agree with JayEll.

Can you quantify "pretty good"? Some people's "pretty good" is 2200 calories, someone else's might be 1300.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #8  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I will chime in with the calories too because I am an exercise FIEND.. it is not my weak point by any means so I decided to track my calories.. wow.. let me tell you.. I was taking in at LEAST 1900 cals a day. I wasnt gaining but I wasnt losing either. My appetite increases when I weight lift but when I do cardio it decreases.. so I always try weight lifting first and cardio last seems to help. I would track my calories.. first by going through and *honest* normal day.. write down alll your food and then find the calories for everything I think you will be suprised .. and by everything.. even the sugar and cream in your coffee adds up!
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #9  

Have you lost inches? That is awesome that your old clothes fit!

For some reason I usually gain weight (sometimes 5 lbs!!!) before I see the scale drop. I have heard that this could be because of water retention or muscle repair.

Keep with it! I have had month-long plateaus, which was frustrating. Think of all of the positive changes that you are making to your body! It will be worth it in the long run!
starzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 127/125/105

Height: 4'9"

shocking purple,

you and i have IDENTICAL weight/height--rare for people our size, yeah? i feel you. it's really hard when you've been working super hard and there's nothing reflected on the scale. just remember, weight is certainly not everything. you are doing a great job taking care of yourself and you should be proud. and if your clothes fit better and people have noticed a change, then it IS paying off. you should be proud of yourself.

also i have a hunch it's way harder for us short ladies to make that scale change... thoughts?
spark329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #11  

heya,

Yeah...I will try cutting down on my portions. Maybe that's why the scale is giving me such a hard time. Argh. Its so frustating. But will try it for a week? Or two and see what happens. Well, am still comforted by the fact my clothes fit and I can buy a dress size smaller now.

Spark, yeah! I think us shorter ladies have it tough. Not only is the scale more stubborn to budge, any access fat shows up more obviously!

shockingp
Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #12  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi ShockingPurple!

I OFTEN lose inches and pants sizes but lose ZERO pounds! I think we are all built so differently and our bodies go about the tasks so differently, too!

Are you maybe eating too little and your body is heading into starvation mode? I know that because I am active I HAVE to eat enough carbs and can't lessen my calories too much or my body says, "Whoa, there, Girl! What are ya DOIN' to me?!!!!" and responds with no weight loss OR a weight GAIN.

I'm upping my exercise and returning my calories to 1500. 1200 was too low, and I just did NOT feel good with it.

I just recently lost more inches, so it must be working. Maybe it will work for you, too!

Good Luck!

Plateau Girl Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/155/125

Height: 5'3

If you want to try tracking your food intake fitday is fun...it turns out graphs which are pretty darn cool. the link to mine is on the bottom of this post and I think you can take it from there or just go to fitday.com
ralfetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I would also chart measurements! I hadn't lost any weight since August (til recently ) but I have kept track of my measurements and I've definitely lost inches Scales are evil Don't trust them!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote