Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Default Scale Quandry

Hi all,

This is a bit of a dumb question, and I am not entirely sure where I should post it. Mods can move as they see fit.

Ok, so the issue is my scale. I bought mine for $12 from K-mart when I was a freshman in college. That was 1994. I had never really weighed myself prior to that (and anyway, I lived in a metric country before college), so my entire weight history has played itself out on this cheap little scale. It is old-school --not digital, obviously, and it can be quite hard to tell the difference between and 2 and a 3 while standing upright. And I think it errs on the low-side, (which is fine when you are comparing it only to itself, but less fine if you want to use a HRM or something).

In short, I think it might be time for a new one. A shiny new scale with an LCD screen. The trouble is that I am a bit fetishistic about my techy purchases, and want to feel 100% good about my choice. I just had a look at Amazon and was instantly overwhelmed by all the options. I should like to draw upon the vast knowledge of the 3FC community

So this is a call for suggestions. Do you love or hate yours? What brand and model is it? I think around $30 should be adequate for a straight-forward, accurate scale.

Recommendations???
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:59 AM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm pretty happy with mine. It is a low-end digital Homedics model that I got at Bed Bath and Beyond. It is model SC-300, which they don't seem to make anymore. I think the SC-320 is the closest model that is still available. I think I paid about $30 for it. I didn't put a lot of research into it, I just went to BB&B, looked at the scales, thought this one looked good and bought it. It wasn't the absolute cheapest, but it was close. I stand on it and it tells me what I weigh (really, what else do you want from a scale). I've had it for at least a year now. It seems pretty consistent and accurate, at least compared with the scale at my gym and at my doctor's office.

I would definitely spring for a digital scale (analog scales are just way too loosy goosy for me, what with all that movement of the needle back and forth). My scale only tells me my weight in half-pound increments. I could have spent a little more and got one that was a little more exact, but I don't regret bying this one; the half-pound increments have been fine. You could also spend more and get a scale that also tells you body fat %, BMI, etc. (not sure what else), but I haven't felt like I've needed any of that either (and I've heard varying reports on how accurate the body fat calculations are anyway).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I got a digital Conair/Weight Watchers one from Costco for $30 and I love it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Mine's an old analog - I've been considering upgrading too. My friend got a digital that weighed to the tenth of a pound, and she found that it started driving her a bit crazy. Obviously, you weight fluctuates constantly, and those little upward fluctuations were getting to her, even if they were only 0.3 of a pound. So she only uses it once a week. I like the sound of Barbara's - if I could find one that only weighed to 0.5 of a pound, I think I could live with that without getting too crazy about the fluctuations.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:56 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have learned to not let those little fluctuations bother me. I have a Tanita scale that weighs in 2/10ths of a pound. It measures body fat% as well, though I really don't know how accurate that aspect of it is. But as far as the weight goes, I am very, very pleased with it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #6  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

My official scale broke. Yesterday I stepped on it and it said that I weighed 126 kilos (more than 250 pounds!). My mom has the weight watchers one and she loves it. She`s had it for a long time and still is accurate.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #7  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Red face

I know this might suck, but read the reviews on amazon. My first scale drove me crazy with huge variation in weight no matter where I had it. I finally threw out the over priced paper weight. I ended up with a Tanita which I love. No matter how many times I get on it it gives me the same number.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #8  

I have a tanita that does to .5 lbs It's very consistant. It shows fat % but I choose not to believe it is right LOL
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

I also have Tanita. It's very accurate, to .2 of a lb. It's very good, the best scale I've owned to date. It also measures body fat, but like ejm, I do not choose to believe it either! Every scale that's ever measured my body fat percentage always says I'm around 30% fat!
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I don't really know what brand scale i have, but it is a digital and it gives weight and ounces....usually by the .2's. I love it. I have the other kind and sometimes just wasn't quiet sure if it was accurate or not, you know how sometimes you had to adjust the needle back to zero...and depending on to which side you might be leaning to, to which side of zero you might put it on. But I bought my scale about a year ago at Wal-mart and paid about $20 for it. It also came with a workout dvd and menu booklet. dont' use those though!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm View Post
I have a tanita that does to .5 lbs It's very consistant. It shows fat % but I choose not to believe it is right LOL
I have a Tanita with fat % as well. I thought when I bought it, I thought that it was calculating my fat % with electricity, but I now think it is just a guess based on your weight and height. Mine says my body fat percentage is like 44%, but using the professional one at Curves it was 35.9%. That's a huge difference! I was scared when I first did the fat percentage at Curves, and was really surprised to see a much lower number. So maybe it's not right for you, either.....here's to hoping.....
cjc92802 is offline   Reply With Quote