Old 04-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #1  

Default Personal Trainers

Hey all,
I just wanted to see if anyone here uses a personal trainer. I'm thinking of getting one because I tend to have no clue what I'm doing and I figure if I'm giving someone money to get me in shape I'll actually stick with it. To quote a comedian I'll either get in shape or pay the fat tax. So any advice is appreciated.
SeekingBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #2  

Hey Seeking,
I paid for 3 training sessions at my gym recently. It was really helpful for me, because I really only get 3x a week tops right now to work out. I needed help streamlining my workout. She made me 3 different workouts, all full-body weightlifting, and all are 45 min or less, so if I want a 60 min workout I'll usually tack on 15 min. of eliptical or so, but if I don't do cardio i don't sweat it (ha).

Anyway, I got a lot out of it. If you can afford it, I say go for it. See if they have a special - mine was basically buy 2 get 1 free.

Sara
gaylors79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 AM   #3  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I also have done personal training, 3 x's a week for 2 months. I think it is a great idea, especially if you aren't all that experienced in a gym setting and proper excercise. It was so nice to be able to learn all the machines without feeling like a big dummy LOL. I say go for it. It should do you alot of good.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:08 AM   #4  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

I use one twice a week - though I can't really afford it - and I have to admit though - even though I have fallen off the wagon - it motivates me to get back on quicker! Plus he pushes me much harder than I push myself (though he cousle still push me harder!)
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #5  
Slowly, slowly.

Height: 5'2"

How much are personal trainers?
Do you mean one at a gym or a personal from home one?

I think it would be nice to know what you are doing is right and actually helping.
mum2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #6  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 125kg/125kg/70kg

Height: 164cm

I have one through my gym (comes out at the same time as my gym membership) and I flove her!

Its hard finding the right one. My first PT was fricken awesome and I loved her to bits. Then she moved to England! My second PT was a lovely girl but very soft and didn't push me at all (which I LOVE) I was far too soft to say anything. My third and current PT is awesome. She pushes me (even though I keep telling her "stretch harder damn it!") but will tell me when I need to pull back. She is a bit repatitive so I'll have to mention that.
Renny Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #7  

Thanks for all the good info and I'm afraid it's a no go. Turns out there arent' any persnal trainers in my area. All we have is a Rec Center and no one's training up there beyond classes that aren't convenient for me. I checked the phone book and nada. So I'm going to try placing an ad in the local paper. If not I'll just keep plugging along on my own. Kinda kinda bummed cuz I know my problem is sticking with exercise programs. Thank goodness for these boards and all the wonderful people here.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #8  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

One thing maybe you coudl do is invest in a DVD program - like slim in 6 or beachbody - or something - where they give you different routines etc each week -- that way you could schedule something each day that is different - and put five bucks ini the jar each time you work out to pay yourself for job well done - hrm - I should be doing this!
B
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #9  

That is a good idea. Right now Im gettng all my exercise cleaning. I swear don't clean for a week and a half and the house explodes. Also dug my bow out of storage and it's so nice having a target in the back yard, one of the plus sides of having hunters in the family. the downside is PHS (Pre Hunting Season) moodswings. Eh it evens out. When I take a cleaning break I'll check out some DVD systems. I really, really like that paying yourself idea. Any other ideas are vastly welcomed.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #10  
Proud US Navy Wife

I know when I first started I used PUSH (http://www.push.tv) which was recommended to me through this site. They have a 30 day free trial, where you get your first DVD and all you have to pay is the shipping.

I used it for 6 months, then decided to go it on my own. Who knows though, I may end up going bck to it. Some people like it and some people don't, but I recommend it.
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote