Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Sugar is from da'Devil!

The more I read, the more I research, the more I study... all the evils of ANY dieting can be attributed to SUGAR.

Processed sugar is apparently from the devil himself. It causes SO many health problems, and at the top of the list is obesity.

And even for those people who have cut out processed sugars (candies, cakes, etc.) there are STILL hidden sugars in so many foods, such as ketchup and so forth.

The only SAFE sugar is natural sugars such as those found in fruits. Even then, if you eat too much fruit, you can still feel the never-ending effects of sugar. The wiredness feeling, the tiredness when you come off a sugar high, etc.

I truly wish I could GIVE UP SUGAR completely. But I know me... I enjoy sugar TOO MUCH to ever give it up completely. However, I have learned to cut it way back - especially processed sugar. I am eating more naturally now, more fresh veggies & the such. And when I get a sugar craving, I am more apt to reach for fresh fruit than a candy bar from a vending machine.

Still... oh god, how I do love sugar.

How have you conquered your sugar cravings? Or if you still have them, how do you deal?
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there Beach Patrol!

The best way for me to deal with sugar is not to eat it. Sugar is a real trigger for me, and once I get going, it's hard to stop. Takes all my will power.

That said, I still do eat carbohydrates--the complex kind, not refined sugar--as part of my weight loss program. I average around 150 grams a day.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I really try to limit it except under carefully controlled situations (sharing a dessert in a restaurant, purchasing 1 biscotti at a time). I know that if I eat a baked good, I immediately want more, so I try to avoid stuff like that. I definitely crave a lot less when I avoid sugary stuff - for me, it's much easier to say "no" to the first item then the second.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I gave up sugar almost 17 months ago. I have not had any cookies, cake, candy, icecream or the like at all. At first, I didn't even eat any salad dressings with sugar or BBQ sauce. At this point know, I rarely have dressings or BBQ sauce anyways but I will eat it if I am out to dinner or invited to friend's houses for dinner. Giving up sugar has really helped me maintain my weight and I have never felt better. Less moody, more energy. I figured my body didn't really need anything in it that didn't have any nutritional value. I do eat fruit but not an excess amount. I'll be honest, the first 2 months were hard but now I rarely have any cravings. Once in a blue moon I 'll tell my husband that that chocolate looks good but I just can't bring myself to eat even a smidge of it. I just don't hink it's worh it....i am afraid I will go back to my old ways. Give it a try...you can do it!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

When I changed my lifestyle back in September, sugar was one of the things I decided to give up. Except for a bit in my morning cereal and veggies and the small amount of fruit that I eat. It took about 3 weeks for me to stop craving the sweets, 3 hard weeks that is. But since then I can honestly say that I hardly ever crave junk any more. I never in my wildest dreams could have imagined that to be true. But yup it is.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-28-2007 at 04:24 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Good for you, azmom! Wow!

Have you read the book Sugar Blues? That pretty much tells the whole story.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've mostly given up sugar and I really don't get sugar cravings. I'm very careful about any added sweeteners. I used to limit my fruit intake heavily but I've sorta relaxed in that I will eat 2 pieces of fruit per day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

For me, the problem is more from carbs rather than from the simple sugar aspect (I realize sugar is a form of carb but you know what I mean) - and this is true whether the carbs are whole/natural carbs or more refined (though I still try to stick to the whole low glycemic carbs when possible).

I've noticed when I crave something really "bad bad bad", I'll go to the store and get myself a York Peppermint Patty and/or some Peanut M&Ms or some Twizzlers, eat one or two of these single servings and then I'll be able to get control. For me its good to get a single portion size. I will also get things for DH and then take 1 or 2 bites to get over a craving. I just find I can stop when I've had a bit and it does help me get over the craving.

On the other hand, I will sometimes keep eating things like oatmeal or toast or bread all day long without being able to stop until I'm really full, if then . But I cant limit these foods too much either because I just dont feel "right" when I haven't had some bread & cereal type of carbs. They are soothing and filling to me but also can cause me to go off the deep end.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I know sugar is supposedly evil, but I still eat it. I stay under my calorie limit every day and try to eat the healthiest choices I can, but I haven't cut anything completely out. I wouldn't say I have huge uncontrollable sugar cravings or anything. I have cravings sometimes (guess what? it's normal to have the occasional craving...people do...), so I fit things into my calorie range. It's all about commitment. If I'm committed to not going over a certain number of calories, I don't. If my commitment is weak or I haven't planned well, I might slip. I don't think I slip because of the evils of sugar, though... Obviously, it's a different story if you're diabetic or have other problems with sugar, which I may have to deal with one day. Sorry, I just can't see giving up sweet things completely if I don't have to, and so far I certainly haven't had to.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #10  
Mel

I found I couldn't lose weight at all and have a very hard time maintaining with sugar in my diet. I eat very low carb and they are all complex, low, glycemic. No wheat products, no white potatoes, no white rice except for very occasional sushi. If I do eat simple sugars, I cannot control it at all, so the only place I'll even taste anything is in a restaurant, like Glory. Even if I buy a single portion size, I'm quite capable of driving out for more, which I would do if I got started on some foods. So they are just not a part of my universe anymore.

Artificial sweeteners really don't have any effect on me, and I can eat 1/4 cup of oatmeal without wanting more. But real sugar is a disaster for my system!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #11  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

i my carbs.. and they are complex.. unless I have a treat.. I would die.. literally without my oatmeal or cereal. Its a staple. Even if its the devil
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Sugar Sugar SUGAR - gotta have my SUGAR!!! Be it simple carbs or plain old syrup, I am a complete addict. I find that the best way to control this is to have protein for breakfast. If I have a high-simple carb breakfast, I'm shot for the day. Sugar IS the devil....
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
When I changed my lifestyle back in September, sugar was one of the things I decided to give up. Except for a bit in my morning cereal and veggies and the small amount of fruit that I eat. It took about 3 weeks for me to stop craving the sweets, 3 hard weeks that is. But since then I can honestly say that I hardly ever crave junk any more. I never in my wildest dreams could have imagined that to be true. But yup it is.
Yeah... two years ago, when I was exercising a lot & dieting & I was down to my avatar weight (138) - I had given up all processed sugar - that is, cakes/candies/pastries, etc. I had SO MUCH energy. I felt GREAT. I did eat some complex carbs, but not much, and most of my "sugar" came from fruit. And you're right - it took about 3 weeks to break that sugar cycle. I've read that it takes 21 days to break just about any habit. After going 3 weeks with NO sugar (not even in my coffee! yuck!) it just seemed natural.

This last go-round, I started my "diet" in January & went with South Beach - I don't really do SB anymore, but I loosely follow it. I didn't have a problem with giving up sugar this time, tho I really wish I had never started back eating it ... but I did... and little by little it seemed to grow out of proportion! - Right now, I can "choose or lose it" - and most times, I choose NOT to have it. But every now & then... I swear, I'd give my left arm for a piece of cake! .....

So I handled THAT by buying some store-bakery cupcakes.... eating ONE... and giving the rest to people at work! Quite often, I don't even finish that one... just too doggone sweet. Which is a GOOD thing.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #14  

I eat a serving of cereal every day, cheerios. It has only one gram of Sugar. I guess that is pretty much all. And I eat 10 grapes.... that is all my sugar for now.
If I cut drastically my carbs. I feel w/out energy.
carolva77 is offline   Reply With Quote