Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #1  

Default Exercise is doing me more harm than good?

For the past two years I've been on a fitness rollercoaster. I'll work out like a fiend for 2-3 months, then stop for another 1-2 months, then start-up again.

I just get so darn frusterated when I work my butt off in the gym 6 days a week for two months with very little results, that I tend to let myself fall of the wagon. Anyways, I'm back on again and trying my hardest not to give-up on myself.

I was telling my story to one of my co-workers today and he told me that I'm doing my body/health no good by going back and forth with exercise - that in fact, I was making my health worse. He had a word for it, something that starts with a "T" and the only word that pops in my mind is "throttle." Does anyone know what he's talking about and if this is true? I tired to google "throttle", but nothing pertaining to exercise was found.
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm not sure what T word he was referring to, but I would say it IS probably much better for you if you're consistent with exercise; however, I don't imagine a year of completely sedentary living would be better than a year where you were active for a few months. Doesn't really make sense to me.

What kind of results are you looking for? Are you trying to lose weight? If so, you definitely have to make sure your eating is on track as well. I've had times when my exercise was on track but I was eating whatever I wanted. I didn't lose weight because I wasn't burning more calories than I was consuming -- it's that simple. If your caloric intake exceeds the number of calories you're burning (through exercise and just being alive), you can't possibly lose weight. That's just how our bodies work.

If it's another kind of results you're talking about, like muscle tone, strength, endurance, etc., then you may just need to tweak your workouts.

Tell us what results you're looking for and what kind of workouts you do, and maybe we can help you tweak your plan so you can get those results you deserve!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #3  

Thanks for the quick reply LisaMarie71. I'm gonna have to ask my co-worker what term he used for my off/on again workouts.

As far as my fitness plan - well, I'd like to drop weight. I'm at 155lbs right now and my goal is around 110-115lbs. I'm sure that # sounds low, but I'm only 4'11". I want a strong, lean body. I want to be role model to my child and a trophy wife for my husband

My husband and I eat right at a home. It's just that I tend to eat larger portions - same portions as my husband. Though the foods are good for you foods, I eat 2-3X more than I should. I also have a serious binging problem when my husband isn't around, which is really embarrassing. I know that's what messes me up, I know it - I just haven't had any luck controlling it. So, I work and work at the gym to trying to make-up for my eating and the horrible cycle continues.

If I feel hungry I will fail any diet. I will always fail if I feel deprived of food. Exercise is not problem for me - so I do my best to make up for my failures in that regard. Of course, I never get ahead. I've maintained this weight for 4-years now.

If I knew how to break the cycle - I would. But I guess my desire to be thin doesn't outweigh my will to eat - at least not now. Maybe someday I found a way to make it all work for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #4  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 125kg/125kg/70kg

Height: 164cm

From the sounds of it you're burning yourself out. If you start straight on six days and go hard from the start, you WILL burn out. I just finished my burn out and am back.

Don't ever give up though! Even if you need a couple of days off, always go back.

What do you do at the gym? Cardio only, or weight as well?
Renny Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #5  

Renny Sue - I work out during my lunch hour M-F, just doing cardio (elliptical, running, stairmater, bike, etc.). On Saturday I do at least an hour of hard cardio and then spend about about 1.5 hours doing weights and stretching.

During the week, my typical breakfast is coffee, Special K cereral bar (on my drive to work) and a bananna before the gym. After my work out, I get a 32oz. "Lean Body For Her" smoothie with peaches, pinapple and water (no rice milk). Dinner is very sensable, but I may eat 2X more than I should.

For example - yesterday I ate said breakfast and lunch and dinner last night
was a small lean organic grilled chick breat (size of my palm) and about 3-4 cups of organic wheat pasta with grilled tomatoes and squash - all mixed together with a non-fat pepper dressing and a side of raw cucumbers. The dish had a sprinkle of salt, and about a tablespoon of that fake fat-free parmassan cheese on top. Oh, and we also had "seduction bread", which is a bread my husband buys at Whole Foods and I know it's gotta be bad cuz it's got all sorts of good things baked in! I ate 2 pieces. We drank iced green tea.

I know I could have done w/o the bread but darn it, I was seduced! I have no will power.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #6  

Quote:
Renny Sue - I work out during my lunch hour M-F, just doing cardio (elliptical, running, stairmater, bike, etc.). On Saturday I do at least an hour of hard cardio and then spend about about 1.5 hours doing weights and stretching.
You are doing too much on Saturday, why dont work out 1 hour a day and do one day cardio, one day strenght training

You need to count the calories and measure everithing that you eat. It does not look to me like you eat a lot, but I cant say for sure. Buy a kitchen scale and measure EVERITHING. Write it down and then you will see how much are you really eating
and I hear you about the binge eating, same here.
I hope that you find your balance. Strive for consistency not perfection
carolva77 is offline   Reply With Quote