Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #1  

Default Any rollerbladers??

I'm trying to find some activity that i like so that i'll keep doing it. Well, i hate running but i remember i use to really enjoy skating. I've been on roller blades (or inline skates) before so i know i can do it with a little practice. The problem is that there is really not many places around my little town to skate. I guess i can do it down the road or around the local college. But it sure sounds like fun and is very good for you. So i was wondering if anybody here likes to use inline skates. And if so, where do you go to skate?

Amy
AlabamaAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #2  
Mel

I did a lot last year and the year before. I was a total beginner- I used to call it "rollercrashing" It really is great cardio and leg work.

I stay off the roads, and head for the local college or corporate parks on weekends. Just remember to wear a helmet and pads!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #3  

Mel, i was talking to my brother about it (he's only 17) but he said when he tried roller blading, he didn't like it because the only place we can do it is on the road. The road around the college or around our lake. He said when he used them on the road it was real rough and vibrated his feet real bad. . .said his feet would go numb because of it. I don't want to waste my money on something i won't do or like. (big sigh) I'm trying so hard to find something to keep me active and that'll like and continue doing. LOL!

Amy
Old 04-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Amy and ...

I roller blade too, not a lot because between my other favourite activities, running, cycling, swimming, and the gym, I don't have much time In the summer I do it with my DD because it gets her out and exercising ... At one time I usued to do it daily I'd meet up with some g/f and we'd go for an hour... We're lucky here we have a gorgeous bike path that is extremely smooth, plus it goes on forever from one town to the next. The only recommendation I can give is that if you're going to do it on the road is to buy a VERY good pair which can run $200+ dollars ... Don't get them at Walmart or chain dept store, get them at a sport store eventhough you'll pay more you'll get a much better quality pair...

Walking is a very good and cheap activity you can take your favourite music and walk for a long time around your lake...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #5  

Ilene,
Do you think walking is enough? i mean. . . i know it'll wear ME out. LOL! But will it help my heart and lungs? I know it'll help build muscles in my legs right? i hate jogging. i know a few people who run. . . but i told them that unless something's after me. . i don't like to run. I bought a treadmill for about $400 a year ago and i used it a good bit i guess but now it's folded up and just standing there holding my stretchie bands. I use videos now because it holds my attention more. I might decide to use it again one day. Never know.

I live in a small town and i really like it. No bad traffic! But it has its down side too. It doesn't offer a lot of "stuff". We don't really have a community pool. Although i can pay to use the one at the hospital. . .but i'd have to swim around a lot of people which wouldn't help my swimming laps any. I love to swim so i had thought about doing that. . . but i can't do it if a lot of people are there. I plan to go to the lake a lot this summer. . . . or hopefully a lot this summer. if i can get somebody to go with me. . . i have to use the buddy system when i swim. But it would also be nice to have some place to swim to. I mean, how much is a lap if you don't have a stopping point.

i can't believe roller blades can cost $200! LOL! i wasn't expecting that. Takes a lot of money to be active. . . . at least for me.

Amy
Old 04-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaAmy View Post
Ilene,
Do you think walking is enough? i mean. . . i know it'll wear ME out. LOL! But will it help my heart and lungs? I know it'll help build muscles in my legs right?
Hi Amy,

Whether walking will be enough really depends on your level of fitness and your weight. For many people, just beginning their weight loss journey, walking is a very good start, and it is certainly better than nothing. And according the treadmill at my gym, walking very quickly at an incline burns more calories than does a comfortable jog. If you are capable of a higher level of intensity, you can think about other options. Is there no Y in your community? I also live in the boonies, but we have a Y with a pool. What about getting a bike? Home cardio dvds?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Amy, abosolutely, positively, YES, walking can be enough for a beginner or advanced level person. As you get fitter you can 1. walk faster, 2. walk hills, 3. walk/jog at 1 minute intervals, even if it's only intervals of jogging and walking, it's good for you and nice for a change of pace.

Quote:
And according the treadmill at my gym, walking very quickly at an incline burns more calories than does a comfortable jog.
That is sooo true too, I was surprised one day when I jogged and then the next day I did hills, on the treadmill, for the same amount of time and I burned more calories hill walking than running ...

Roller Blades are extremely expensive, mine are worth $400 luckily my SIL gave them to me because she won them and she found them way too fast for her taste, so we traded my slower/older blades for those... I was sooooo happy, I love them too...
Old 04-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Amy, I just wanted to add that I have a g/f that only walks, every day, I see her all over town, rain or shine...She has been walking for at least 15 years, . She used to weigh at least 200#, now if she weighs 125# all wet, I'd be surprised... So start walking .... It's a good thing
Old 04-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone. Hopefully i'll find something i like and stick with it. Currently, i'm using Tae Bo Cardio or WATP 3 mile express. But sometimes i feel its not enough or i'm not doing enough. Probably need to quit watching those cardio people on Fit Tv. LOL! it makes tired just watching them! I was hoping to get out more though with it being such pretty weather. Maybe a good walk everyday will be best for a while.

One more question though. I get home probably about 5:30pm and my husband is already wanting to eat which is why i quit working out in the pm. Nobody bothers me in the am. I'm usually hungry at 5:30 or 6:00 but if i eat i'll get lazy and won't do anything else. I told my husband he might have to eat without me if he can't wait because i may start coming home and walking or something before i eat. Guess i can eat an energy bar or something to fight off the hunger. What do you think? I've alway eaten this early because i was told it was bad to eat late because you can't burn off the calories as easily. Unfortunately, dinner is usually my biggest meal.

Amy
Old 04-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

In your situation this is I would try to do... Definitely eat a little something before going out Maybe eat half your supper and the other half when you come back from your walk... OR have a snack of cottage cheese mixed with strawberries, this is very light and won't weight you down, you don't need a lot just half a cup of each... OR you AND hubby have a snack and BOTH good out for a walk... I'm sure a walk won't do him any harm either no matter how slim someone is they can always use a good brisk walk ... Eating half your planned supper is probably a good idea because when you come back from your walk you may not be that hungry to finish it off, especially if you drink a nice large glass of water as soon as you walk in the door after your walk...

About eating before bed... I personally don't think it makes that much difference if you eat late or early, if it's all counted into your calories for the day.... Because dieting is all about calories in vs. calories out, I think... I wouldn't eat a huge meal at 10PM, because I'd never be able to sleep, but 7ish, is fine ...

Oh, and just another 2 cents of mine if you don't mind ... If you're tired after a meal it may be because there are too many processed carbs in your meal... You should try to avoid processed carbs, like white or even whole wheat bread, white rice, white potatoe, anything with sugar in it too...

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress
Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #11  

Thank you Ilene, I'll keep all that in mind. And it would be nice to get hubby out of the house. His job involves a desk and chair all day and when he gets home he's behind the computer till bed time. yea. Talk about sedentary!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 AM   #12  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I love to roller blade- I love. love. love that burning in my hips, but even more than that I love feeling like I am weightless as I glide.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #13  

Reddalice,
I know what you mean. Unfortunately i don't really have anywhere around my small town to do any roller blading. it would all be on asphalt.