Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/168/135

Height: 5'5ish

Default salad dressing/dips

Does anybody have yummy ones to recommend? Of course I prefer ones as low calorie as possible, but any suggestions would be great! I want to stop buying veggies and dip from the store and just make my own instead. I like caesar/ranch/creamy dips.
Thanks all!
gonnabelean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love hummus as a dip for veggies. I buy Trader Joe's eggplant hummus, which is only 35 calories per 2 tbsp. Cooking Light also has a great recipe for Roasted Red Pepper and Cannellini Bean Dip that is only 62 calories per 1/4 cup. It is super easy to make if you have a food processor. You might search on Cooking Light for other dip recipes; I've found them to be a great resource.

In terms of salad dressing, I'm afraid that I'm more of a vinaigrette fan, so I don't have any recommendations for low cal creamy or ranch dressings. I did try Wishbone's fat free Ranch and I was pretty disappointed, so I'd probably stay away from that. It was edible, but I was glad to finish off the bottle and move on to something else. I did try a brand called "Follow Your Heart Low Fat Ranch Dressing" that was better (although it still doesn't make my list of favorites).

My favorite salad dressings are:
Bernstein's Lite Fantastic (25 cal/2 tbsp)
Maple Grove Fat Free Greek Dressing (15 cal/2 tbsp)
Trader Joe's Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette (25/2 tbsp)
Trader Joe's Raspberry Vinaigrette (35 cal/2 tbsp)
Trader Joe's Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette (35 cal/2 tbsp)
Carmela's Mediterranean Mystique Vinaigrette (40 cal/2 tbsp)

I also really like a good fig-infused balsamic vinegar as a salad dressing. I buy the Bistro Blends brand, but someone else has recommended the Cyber Cucina brand to me as well, which is a little cheaper if you are ordering it online.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote