Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #1  
STi

Default Not all green tea is safe!!!

Politically incorrect green tea?
May 20, 2004
From a press release
RIDGEFIELD, Conn. -- Lipton makes it. Bigelow makes it. Celestial Seasonings makes it. 100's of thousands of Americans are drinking green tea every day. Health advocates recommend 3-6 cups a day for its antioxidant benefits. But is it really good for you? In nutritionist Michael Barbee's new book, "Politically Incorrect Nutrition: Finding Reality in the Mire of Food Industry Propaganda," (Vital Health Publishing), Barbee exposes many such current and widely held politically correct nutritional beliefs. In the case of your morning cup of green tea, did you know that it is often contaminated with unprecedented amounts of fluoride, aluminum and DDT, and regular consumption can lead to serious health problems?
Preventative medicine expert Dr. Stephen Langer suggests that as much as 40% of the population may have sub-clinical hypothyroidism, of which symptoms include carpal tunnel syndrome, loss of libido, arthritis, lupus, fibromyalgia and weight gain. The fluoride that pervades our food and water supply must surely be considered a culprit, with tea drinkers at higher risk. To make matters worse, some samples of green tea recently analyzed were contaminated with cancer causing DDT and Dursban, which are not banned in the tea growing countries China and India.
If you want green tea's benefits, buy good quality organic green tea from companies like Choice Organic Teas, Celestial Seasoning's Organic Green Tea, or Stash Organic Green Tea and use filtered or spring water. Even better for antioxidants may be to consume fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, and/or supplement with Vitamins C and E, zinc, selenium, CoQ10, and N-Acetyl Cysteine, suggests Barbee.
Each well-researched chapter is surprising and enlightening. Get the real scoop on soy and estrogens, eggs and cholesterol, and the sugar-free foods for diabetics. Politically Incorrect Nutrition exposes many current and widely held beliefs foisted on both consumers and health care practitioners by the well-oiled, agenda driven food industry propaganda. And it's not all bad news, for instance, he writes dark chocolate (organic) has four times the amount of antioxidants as green tea per serving!

So for someone who doesen't like the taste of tea...where can you get organic green tea extract pills?

I have nature's bounty right now but they are not organic and i can't find the brands that were tested by consumerlabs to have lead...anyone know which 2 were tested to have lead from the review?
STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #2  
STi

I also read somewhere where the extracts caused liver issues in someone but it wasen't %100 the cause but it stopped after use.

I only need to lose 25lb and looking for something to help with hunger...i'm taking lipovox right now but wanted to add more green tea.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh, I'm not sure, and I don't know where you are--but one place to start might be with local health food stores. Usually they carry such things. Also, if you do a web search on the words green tea organic capsules you'll come up with some distributors.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #4  

Quote:
Preventative medicine expert Dr. Stephen Langer suggests that as much as 40% of the population may have sub-clinical hypothyroidism, of which symptoms include carpal tunnel syndrome, loss of libido, arthritis, lupus, fibromyalgia and weight gain. The fluoride that pervades our food and water supply must surely be considered a culprit, with tea drinkers at higher risk.
Riiiiight.

We're not fat because we eat too much, we're fat because our water is poisoning us.

Funny how when we eat less and drink even more water, we get skinnier.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #5  
STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Gosh, I'm not sure, and I don't know where you are--but one place to start might be with local health food stores. Usually they carry such things. Also, if you do a web search on the words green tea organic capsules you'll come up with some distributors.

Jay

I only came up with this but you still have to drink it.

<--linkosuction-->
Old 04-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #6  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi View Post
I also read somewhere where the extracts caused liver issues in someone but it wasen't %100 the cause but it stopped after use.

I only need to lose 25lb and looking for something to help with hunger...i'm taking lipovox right now but wanted to add more green tea.
Green tea has very little effect on weight loss anyway. The antioxidants are great, but you won't lose weight from green tea unless you are very, very patient You could lose as much as 8 pounds over the course of a whole year if you drink 4 cups of green tea every day. Lipovox is a very questionable product and isn't proven to help, either.

A good diet plan and exercise program will help you lose weight faster and safer than lipovox and green tea extracts. We'd love for you to join any of our diet forums that interest you. Are you currently on a plan, or do you count calories, or what is your method of choice?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #7  
STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Green tea has very little effect on weight loss anyway. The antioxidants are great, but you won't lose weight from green tea unless you are very, very patient You could lose as much as 8 pounds over the course of a whole year if you drink 4 cups of green tea every day. Lipovox is a very questionable product and isn't proven to help, either.

A good diet plan and exercise program will help you lose weight faster and safer than lipovox and green tea extracts. We'd love for you to join any of our diet forums that interest you. Are you currently on a plan, or do you count calories, or what is your method of choice?

Well it seems to suppress appetite as i'm not a big eater anyways nor do i eat sweets often.

I know this is probably wrong but i only eat one big meal a day..no excersise yet but plan on buying a treadmill soon!

Oh...and i have always been thin up untill a few years now ...being approx 23-25lb over.

I eat pizza and burgers..fried chicken and such but only 1 meal.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

That doesn't sound very healthy to me. You are worried about fluoride in your diet and organic sources of green tea but then you eat pizza, burgers and fried chicken? Worry first about cutting the junk from your diet, adding vegetables and fruit, then worry about such things as green tea.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote