Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #1  
LLV

Default The Whole Foods Market (question for you all)

OK guys, say hello to your new Whole Foods Market recruit

I went to Whole Foods for the first time yesterday and OMG, I'm in love! I was like a kid in a candy store - sushi bar, full-service seafood department with endless selections, beautiful produce, salad bars, olive bars, hot soups, breads, bakeries, woooooooo! I didn't know what to do with myself!

Anyway, so I was wondering what your favorite things are to buy from there and if you could give me pointers as to what to look out for, since I'm a newbie to the place and probably don't know where everything is and I could be totally missing some of the good stuff!

Any comments or suggestions? Or if you just want to profess your love for Whole Foods and your favorite things to buy, be my guest
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

I love Whole Foods!!!

My favorite things to buy there... let's see:
- organic herbs
- Carlson's fish oil
- organic coconut oil
- wild salmon
- organic eggs (Omega 3 and cage-free ones)
- Earth's Best baby food
- Pangea Organics products

this is off the top of my head...
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Whole foods is one of those markets in which I have a love/hate relationship with and I wonder why oh why doesn't Wild Oats exist out here?

I like what Whole Foods offers but I also think they are overpriced. Then again, they can be overpriced because they are pretty unique in their size and selections.

1) Any fruit or veggies on sale
2) Unsweetened almond milk (although TJs now offers this, yay!)
3) Bulk grains
4) Any canned beans/tomatoes on sale. They also have the fire roasted tomatoes I like.
5) Any frozen veggies on sale
6) Quorn - I recently bought some from them but haven't tried it yet
7) Tofu
8) Nonfat plain yogurt - their brand or Stonyfield
9) Sushi for DH

So I'm a pretty picky shopper at Whole Foods. I tend to buy sale items and other items I can't find elsewhere. Their bulk foods are cheaper than elsewhere so I tend to buy those.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #4  

Around here, we call Whole Foods , Whole Paycheck It would be so easy to spent a LOT more there, that's for sure.

I don't shop there often, mostly due to not having one close by but they do have good veggies - when on sale they are a great deal. Otherwise, hold onto your wallet!!

I like their bulk items and do get my steel cut oats there, my whole wheat couscous as well as quinoa and other grains.

They have a really good selection of organic and/or more healthy frozen meals but again. you pay for them. If you are having a party, would be a great place to pick up appetizers and all sort of things.

They use to carry a lentil pasta that I liked a lot, but no more.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #5  
LLV

Oh I agree they're very pricey! Some of the things I looked at, mostly the meats, I saw the price and was like, "Heck I can get that at Kroger for half the cost!"

But I still had fun and really enjoyed it.

By the way, what is Quorn?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #6  
Just Me

From wikipedia:
Quorn is the leading brand of mycoprotein food product in the UK and a leading brand elsewhere. Mycoprotein is the generic term for protein-rich foodstuffs made from processed edible fungus.

So basically it is very processed fungus that is made to be meat like. I don't like soy products that try to be meat like but I wanted to try quorn. DH has had it before and he likes it. It is sitting in my freezer, both chicken like quorn and beef crumble like quorn and waiting for me to figure out what I want to do with it

Last edited by nelie; 04-17-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Whole foods is one of those markets in which I have a love/hate relationship with and I wonder why oh why doesn't Wild Oats exist out here?
As you probably know, Wild Oats is a CO company, but they are being bought up left and right by Whole Foods. I like Whole Foods for their hot/cold bar selections, but Wild Oats tends to have really great little juice bars in the back, so I miss them.

Now at Whole Foods, my home is the salad bar- although when I want a really good fast meal, anything in the hot/cold section will work.

During the summertime when the BF and I are craving a grilled burger we will get the "Cowboy Burgers", which is just ground beef with spices and veggies diced in and will grill them at home. I'm not a big meat eater, but when I crave it, their meat department is the place to go. The cuts may as well have come off of my my uncle's no-hormone/antibiotic ranch in western colorado.

I heart Whole Foods.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #8  
Just Me

I like Wild Oats because I think their prices are pretty decent. Whole Foods though cornering the market just makes them have the ability to increase their prices. I was astounded to read that organic fruits and veggies cost about the same as "conventional" but when you look at their prices, it makes me cringe sometimes.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #9