Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #1  

Default I dont want to go on another diet

I hate the word, diet! It makes me feel so deprived, and leads me to binges!
I want to eat thealthy, not to feel deprived, sad, guilty after a binge, etc.
Does anyone understand what I mean? I have lost and regained the same 20-25 # a lot of times. I believe if I brain wash myself thinkinng that I am not on 'a diet' I can reach and mantain (the hardest thing) goal.
Any input will be appretiated
carolva77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Been there... check the "what books have you read" thread - I posted a few books about losing weight while NOT dieting, you might find them helpful. I've sworn off diets too. The weight creeps down more slowly, but my goal now is to end the bingeing and yo-yo-ing first, lose weight second. Good luck!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #3  

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #4  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Sounds like you're prime for a "non-dieting" approach - often called intuitive or mindful eating. The basic focus is to eat when you're hungry, eat what you're hungry for, and (most crucial) stop eating when you're satisfied/no longer hungry (i.e. NOT stuffed or full). It sometimes takes just as much thought and effort as a structured diet, but it takes away all the taboo foods and restrictions - you can eat anything you like, as long as you want it, enjoy it, and STOP when you no longer want it.

There are a dozen or more good books that outline this theory and offer ways to implement it. Some are more scientific, some are more "self-help"-like, some are very straightforward and simple. "The Overfed Head" is a quick read which gives a basic overview of the concepts, and I'd also recommend "The Rules of 'Normal' Eating" which is a more in-depth study of the reasons behind overeating and how to alter them. And, as I said, there are a number of others that are quite good - different voices speak better to each of us.

But, when it comes down to the basics, they all have the same message - Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied.
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #5  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I know exactly how you feel. I've been on many diets - anorexia, bingeing, etc. I have recently spent time trying to get to the root of the issue - my mind. I have read a lot of books to figure this out, written many journal pages, etc. I realized that until I figured out why I was doing this, what I was getting out of it, I would never stop. I am no longer on a diet. I am trying to eat healthy because I have a goal of getting back to my normal weight (not an increased weight brought on by bingeing).

For me, I was getting a lot of things by my eating habits and it was not until I figured that out until I felt like I had a handle on the issue. Sure I slip up, but nobody is perfect and that is something I'm working on as well. Diets for me bring on the urge to binge so I have no restrictions, no cheat days, no forbidden foods. I have an overall goal of being healthy in body and mind so each food choice I make is weighed against that goal. I have found this generally works for me. This forum is a huge help as well. There are some great people on here who are supportive.

Good luck with your goals. Have you looked on the Chicks in Control forum? I didnt realize I was a compulsive/binge eater until I read through there.

Believe in yourself. You can do it and reach your goals.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, I think there is a large majority here that don't view their eating habits as a diet but rather a lifestyle change. I've gone through a huge lifestyle change. I concentrate on eating whole foods and avoid too much added fat and added sugars. I don't count calories but once in a while I'll enter my foods into fitday to see how many calories I eat on an average day. I also try to get plenty of fiber.

I don't view my eating as a diet at all. A diet is temporary, this is for life.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It took me a looong time (umm 20 years) to realize that in order to take off the weight - permanently - that what ever plan I went on I would have to stick with - forever. A very long time indeed. Diets don't work because they have beginnings - and then of course - endings. We need something that we CONTINUE. No endings - just on and on and on. Once I finally got that through my head and ACCEPTED it fully and completely was when I was able to tackle weightloss. I switched from high quantity/low quality foods to healthy and highly nutritious foods in normal sized portions - yup, I'm in this forever. I have had great success so far eating low fat proteins and tons and tons of veggies and fiber. And I count calories. For me, I need to set limits, I can overeat even healthy foods.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #8  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

The word diet has two different meanings for me. On one hand it means an eating program like the word normally is used, and on the other hand it also means just the way I eat.

I've decided that "diets" aren't for me. I've never been able to stick to them.

I pick healthier foods when shopping. For example, low fat dairy, low fat or fat free salad dressing, etc. I've added in more vegetables. For my afternoon snack I've changed from eating crackers or something similar to eating cauliflower or carrots and dip. I don't pile on the dip. For dinners I limit my portion. I count calories and allow 500 calories for dinner.

I've found that counting calories is what helps keep me in control of my binges. I don't track my calories online. I keep a notepad with me and write down what I ate, how much, the calories, and have a column for the balance for the day. This works tons better for me than online tracking. I know how much I need to be around at certain times of the day. I also have a range that I like to stay in.

I've taken the dinners I used to make that my family likes and made them healthier and lower calorie. I make pancakes with the healthy bisquick instead of the regular. I make burgers out of ground turkey instead of beef. (Although a lean beef would work too.) If I bake I use Splenda instead of sugar. I use skim milk in my recipes instead of whole milk. I also take any snacks I buy and divide them up into 100 calorie portions and put them in individual snack bags. I then put them all in a box. This way I don't have to measure then each time I want to eat something and I limit myself on the things that are higher calorie.

Just do what you can towards eating healthier right now and make the changes you want to make. Later you can add more things. Take it slow. For me these changes are for the rest of my life and I only made them when I was ready to make that change. (I'm not willing to give up Diet Coke and probably won't be willing to for a long time, but that's ok.) Any changes you can make are well worth it if you make them for good.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #9  
LLV

Diet is a 4-letter word, in my opinion.

Like nelie said, I'm not on a diet. I've simply changed my lifestyle. I will never go on a "diet" again.

And I agree with the above sentiments

Last edited by LLV; 04-17-2007 at 10:28 AM.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #10  

OMG thanks so much, I am so relieved there is people that actually understand where I am coming from... it is like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
i dont have any problem exercising, it is the binges that scare the **** out of me, and it is because I restrict "bad" foods.... I plan on not doing that anymore.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolva77 View Post
OMG thanks so much, I am so relieved there is people that actually understand where I am coming from... it is like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
It's a HUGE one.

And you don't have to restrict everything. That's one thing I DO NOT believe in, deprivation. I'm in this for life. Do you think I'm going to go the rest of my life without pizza or chocolate chip cookies or the occasional piece or two of fried chicken?

No way!

I still eat those things. I just eat them in extreme moderation. I eat 90% healthy, 10% not so great. I still steer clear of loads of sugar and deep-fried foods. But yep, I grab the occasional egg roll or piece of fried fish from the Chinese buffet. That's my little "sinful" treat. I allow myself these things. I just eat healthy most of the time (veggies, whole grains, beans, lowfat and fat-free dairy, etc.) and then let myself have a little fun once in a while. As I said, we're in this for life and there's no reason why you should HAVE to give up the occasional treat. If I'm craving an ice cream cone, I have one. I just make sure it's counted in with my calories for the day

In fact, getting myself into this mentality - away from diets and away from depriving myself of the foods I love - is when I started to lose the weight.

And you're absolutely right, depriving yourself leads to binges. If you give yourself the occasional taste of a beloved food, you won't be so tempted to go eat the refrigerator, LOL.

And we all have the occasional meal where we think OMG I've totally blown it. No, you haven't. If you eat a little too much in one sitting, like if you go out with family or friends, then count it as an enjoyed experience and move on, getting back on track the next day. There's no point in beating yourself up or thinking of yourself as a failure. Because we're not failures. We're human.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #12  

Thanks so much for your kind words.
I have another question, why the lowfat, fatfree dairy.
Is fat really that bad?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #13  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I find it interesting and poignant that you've gotten so many helpful yet varied responses - it just drives home the point that you have to figure out what works for you. You know that a structured, restrictive "diet" isn't going to work for you - your frustration makes that clear. There are some people who thrive on being told exactly what to eat and do well under a "diet" (these are usually the "success" stories in any diet guide). There are a lot who chafe under such a strict restriction - you can lose for a time, but gain it back.

Everyone can give you ideas, but only you can find out if that will work for you.
Some find success with replacing unhealthy foods with lower-cal versions.
Some find they shift their eating to a whole-foods, unprocessed basis.
Some find an 80-20 method helps (80% "healthy" 20% "whatever).
Some find limiting portions to be the trick.
Some (including me) find that it works to "authorize" all foods as equal and eating only when hungry and ignoring any outside influence.

It's tricky - there is no "one size fits all" weight-loss method, which is the main drive that any given "diet" is never going to work for most people. It works for one, but that doesn't mean it works for anyone else.

Shop around, read some books/websites, find a way of eating that will work for you, longterm. Find an eating style that makes you feel good, is healthy, and helps you attain and maintain a healthy body and weight without a lot of struggle. It's hard. But it's worth it to know you can be off the "diet" yo-yo bandwagon for good.
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #14  

Thank you so much, I have been beating myself for going "off" atkins, but ketosis gives me insomnia, not bashing anyone or anything, but I cant sleep, I dont have energy to run (which I luv to do)...and even though it works wonder I cant do it for life. I need apples and whole grains, and it takes so long to get there with atkins But LC works for a lot of people!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

The biggest revelation for me was that I don't have to cut ANY food out of my life. I can enjoy the foods I love -- I just can't eat enormous portions of them. And when you do it that way, it doesn't feel like a DIET -- it just feels like you're being reasonable. Normal, even. It's not normal to consume mass quantities of ANYthing, and that's why I ended up obese. I was addicted to it. Some people would say you need to quit cold-turkey, like with smoking, and eliminate those foods from your life, and that may be what works for some. But for me that feels like a DIET, and I wouldn't keep it up forever. Robin's right, it's the ending to the diet that will get you. If it's not something you can continue, it's just not going to work.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote