Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Books you have read concerning weight loss

Hi all!

I bought the book "YOU on a Diet" and am up to chapter 4. It is really a very interesting book. Even tho I have been reading & studying weight loss for several years now, this book has already given me a lot of TRULY GOOD information. And it's written so that you don't have to be a PhD to understand it (bonus!)

I have read countless books over the years, but the main ones that come to mind are:

Fit & Fabulous in 15 Minutes by Teresa Tapp (excellent! - but I recommend the DVD's in addition to the book!)

The South Beach Diet

SugarBusters!

Picture Perfect (this book is about learning to 'look at foods' and discern the good from the evil & making healthy choices as such)

Flip the Switch (I did not GET this book, at all.... )

Why Fat Sticks, An Introduction to Insulin Resistance

Weigh Down Diet (religious dieting)
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #2  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I read "the taming of the chew - a holistic guide to ending overeating" great great book.

I also read picture perfect! I thought it was pretty good. I liked how simple it was.

I read Oprah's book with Bob Greene. I can't remember what it was called. It had some good points but was pretty basic.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #3  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

My books tend to be more nutrition & food geared than weight-loss:

"No-Time-to-Lose Diet" with "Diet Doctor" Melina Jampolis
"What to Eat?" with Marion Nestle
"Nutrition for Life" (author eludes me at the moment), published by DK Books
Michael Pollan's Omnivore Dilemma

I think all those books are great resources for learning how to eat and live more healthfully.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think I am one of a minority around here. I have never ever purchased a "diet" book. I think deep down I always knew what to do - I just didn't do it. But now having lost 120 lbs and am super duper into nutrition and a healthy lifestyle I am first getting interested in hearing what some of these guys have to say. Like Aquawarlock, not necessarily about weightloss - but about nutrition and health in general. I am definitely interested in the You on a Diet book. I will look for it in my library as well as some other ones. Larry King Live had on Sanjay Gupta, Deepak Chopra and Lance Armstrong the other night. The first 2 were promoting books. Very interesting stuff.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #5  

I'll second "What to Eat" and "The Omnivore's Dilemma" - both had an impact on me and changed the way I shop and what I choose to eat.

I also found "Mindless Eating" to be really interesting - and a fun read, too!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I haven't read that many, myself: mostly the Dr. Phil book and the SugarBusters one, along with a couple of "testimony" books (Passing For Thin, Tales From The Scale). But I too am tempted to read more of these -- not necessarily because they'll teach me something really new, just in order to 'keep my mind on it', so to say.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I can't really say i've read any diet books. I did read Alison Sweeny's book, she's my favorite soap star on days of our lives, and she had a section about how she lost weight. Sorry....i just don't read that much except romance books.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

The Schwarzbein Principle, by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, is the book that convinced me that overeating carbohydrates is the main culprit, not only for weight gain but also for insulin resistance and high cholesterol.

Jay

P.S. Sugar Blues is another GREAT book about the dangers of refined sugar and carbohydrates.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikini Dreader View Post
I read "the taming of the chew - a holistic guide to ending overeating" great great book.
Ha! I love that title. I'm teaching The Taming of the Shrew to some of my English classes right now.

I've bought diet books in the past out of curiosity, but like Robin, I always knew what would work for me. It was just a matter of making myself do it. For years, I bought those books as a form of procrastination really. Instead of making myself get down to business, I would read a book about it and try something that I knew wasn't right for me. I'm a BIG procrastinator and a BIG reader, so those two things often go hand in hand. Instead of writing the Great American novel, for example, I've read a kazillion books about writing. I guess it helps me teach my Creative Writing class, but I'm still unpublished...

I'm interested in books about diet and nutrition as long as they teach me something new. I like the YOU on a Diet book. I don't follow the diet exactly, but it has some useful and interesting info. I'm interested in What to Eat, but I haven't got around to it yet. So many books unfortunately say the same things we've all known for years. "Wait...you mean it's not GOOD for me to eat 10 chocolate chip cookies at every meal and never have a vegetable??? Come again?? Oh, and I should drink water? Who'da thunk?" That's why I liked the YOU book, because it gave some specific scientific info about how your body reacts to food. Creepy drawings, though -- weird little elfin people. Odd.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

I've read a number that I find helpful, but they are often "anti-diet", rather than diet programs. But they're still about weight loss and healthy lifestyle, so if that's your thing, I liked "Fit from Within" (Victoria Moran), "Diet's Don't Work" (forget his name at the moment), "French Women Don't Get Fat", "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" (Anne Douglas), and a few others whose titles aren't popping into my head right now.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #11  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I am currently reading "YOU on a Diet" and am finding it VERY interesting. Full of information about your body, not just dieting.

I also enjoyed "Thin for Life" (about maintaining weight loss) and found it quite informative.

I have read a couple of Low GI books, South Beach (not thoroughly though) and the 3 Fat Chicks book. I gained information from all of these. I like picking bits and pieces from all of the material I read.

Knowledge can be a formidable tool in the weight loss battle.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Ok, this could take a while

- Fit For Life, I, II and New Beginning
- Atkins: Revolution (or whatever the full title was)
- Denise Austin's Jumpstart
- Lose those last 10 pounds, Denise Austin
- The Fat Flush Plan, Ann Loise Gittleman (plus the companion books)
- The Fast Track Detox, Ann Louise Gittleman
- The No-Grain Diet, Joseph Mercola
- Shape-Up Workbook, Jonny Bowden
- Living the Low-Carb Life, Jonny Bowden
- The South Beach Diet
- The Ultimate New York Diet, David Kirsh

Some are from my yo-yo dieting days, some are just because they sounded like they would have additional bits of useful info on eating a diet moderate in carbohydrates.

The best of the bunch are, IMO, the books by Ann Louise Gittleman's. I also like Jonny Bowden a lot, I think his approach is very smart. The Ultimate NY Diet has some very good recipes and excellent ideas on fitting in exercise, including short exercise routines to be done at your desk, on vacation, etc.

The rest, to be hones is interesting but not a must read IMO.

P.S. please don't judge me by the tracker, that's baby weight

Last edited by FitMomEB; 04-17-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: adding PS
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #13  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

Elisa, I hope you don't feel judged! nobody on here should be judging anyone for their tracker. That is quite personal and we are all trying to improve ourselves.

Keep it up!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

yeah....we wouldn't dare judge anyone on their trackers. I am just so happy for all the wonderful people who are so brave as to put their beginning weights on here. This is such a wonderful group of people here. And we will celebrate every little ounce each of us lose!!! :-)
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote