Old 04-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #1  
That's me on the left

S/C/G: 295/221.5/195

Exclamation Three weeks in and still having issues...

Okay, I'm three weeks into LAWL and have lost about 6 lbs. as of 3 days ago ( I'll go weigh in later today). I'm on the red plan (it goes by book color, right?), and I've done really well getting all of my food in for the most part. But there are many days where it's after dinner and I still have a lot to get in for the day. Yesterday for example, I still had 3 fruits, 2 starches, 1 fat, and 2 dairys to get in. I've been using a lot of the recipes you all post on here and they help a great deal but I don't have time to cook several meals at a time for the left overs and I don't want to eat out very often. I know that the meal replacement shakes and bars are an option but those are expensive and we really don't have that money for me to be buying those all of the time. Plus I really don't think those would really do the job of replacing a meal by way of filling me up. I've tried the SlimFast things in the past and they do a poor job. Any suggestions?
mgresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #2  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

Have you tried planning your day in advance? The fruits and veggies always seem to get me...but I try to have fruit in the morning, at lunch and for a mid-afternoon snack. The veggies I split between lunch and dinner. I guess the only recommendation I have is to try to stay on top of your food diary. I find that even if I just write down on a piece of paper my breakdowns for the day (P,V,F...) and then stick it in my pocket. As I eat throughout the day, I jot down what I ate and cross of what it counted as.

Hope that helps some,
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #3  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

It really is key to plan your meals ahead so you know what you are eating when.
I combine foods to use them up. To incorporate foods make your own smoothies.. use your milk or flav yogurt with two fruit added to make smoothie in the morning. I use vanilla yogurt with 1/2 cup of ojuice and 12 frozen strawberries or 3/4 cup blueberries and that uses 1 D, 2 FR.
Have a graham cracker or breadstick as a starch with a morning or afternoon fruit like 15 grapes. You then only have one starch left to use with lunch or dinner and can have some rice, a bagel etc.
Hope this helps
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

I try to break my stuff up as evenly as possible ahead of time and use that as a guide line. and if I try to stick to the same break down all the time, it gets to where I can look at a meal and know what is missing. here is what I aim for on Red

7 Am 1/2 Protein - 1 fruit - 1 Starch - 1 Dairy

10 AM 1 fruit - LA Lite

12:30 1 Protein - 2 Veggies ( 2 cup raw salad ) - 1 Starch

3:00 1 Fruit - LA Lite

6:00 1 Protein - 2 Veggies ( 1 cup raw salad + 1/2 cup cooked veggies)

When I eat following this I have the easiest time staying POP. and even if I don't follow it 100% I can look at it as a guide. Say I don't feel like eating a snack at 10 I will wait til 10:30 but no longer, because even though I may not feel hungry, if I wait too long I will be too hungry, or maybe I will start to feel hungry at 9:45 and wonder why, then I can look at this and think "oh, it is almost snack time, that is why I feel hungry" The having a fruit with my LA Lite was my counslers sugjestion, and I have found it to work quite well. It really makes it hold me over better. Or I might not want fruit for breakfast but I will for lunch so I will switch it. but anyway, by having it mapped out I never get behind and end up with a back load of food in the evening.

Lettie
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #5  
That's me on the left

Usually I do plan the night before. But I still find myself struggling to finish everything. I hear myself saying, "Urgh, I still have to find time to eat 2 more of this or 1 more of that." I work 8 hours a day and don't get a break other than lunch or dinner depending on when I work. I'm lucky to squeeze in a Lite for a snack. I do the best I can. Qutie often I find myself bring food home with food left from lunch that I still have to finish when it's already time for dinner! I'm trying. I really am. So far I'm getting it all in. I just wish I didn't have to eat so much!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #6  

Sounds like you really need to go for "less bang for your buck" so to speak. like instead of 1 cup of raspberries which sounds like alot, go with 1/2 a banana or I told my counsler that I squeeze a half a fresh lemon into my 32oz jug of water and she said I could count that as one of my fruit, Orange Juice goes down easy and 1 cup will eat up two fruit. 3 ritz crackers will kill a whole starch, and one 6 oz can of V-8 will take up a veggie. Try to pick out the smaller portioned exchanges...... which is the opposite of what I try to do! For me it is like..... " 2 cups of beans is one protein or 3 T peanut butter?!?! give me the 2 cups!"

Hang in there, you are losing and you are not starving. things could be worse!

Lettie
Old 04-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #7  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Mg,

I started on Red during the time of year where 14 hour days with, 20 minutes for lunch is the norm for me. (Thank goodness X-mas season is only 10 weeks a year !) Like Lettie said the best thing to do is plan, plan, and plan some more. I personally do 6-7 meals a day and have it almost down to a science. (I should after 5 months on plan! )

Juice goes down really easy when you have to squeeze the fruits in, I've done a cup of OJ on many of an occassion when I was short 2 fruits. The Fat also can easily be squeezed in a teaspoon of olive or sunflower oil can be added to just about anything. As for the dairy, go with the R/F string cheeses. 2 of those can be eaten in a matter of less than a minute.

If you want to take a look at my diary, most days it's posted over on the daily menu thread. PM me if you want the condensed version.

Hang in there, it can be done, it's just a matter of learning how to do it.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #8  
That's me on the left

Well, I just went and weighed in. I'm up to a total of 8.6 down!!! So apparently I'm not doing too bad! Thanks for all the advice. I'll take all I can get. I seem to get hungriest in the evenings. And it also seems hardest for me to get everything in as the pantry gets empty which is a given but...we have to really schedule time to go grocery shopping. And that only happens about every 2 weeks. I try really hard to buy lots of stuff but I always seem to run out.

I like the string cheese idea. As for adding things like to my water, I had asked my COD about that and they said that it wouldn't count as water then. I've done the peanut butter as a protein several times for breakfast but there isn't much to put it on. The 35 cal bread just doesn't taste good to me.

I guess I just have to keep experimenting! But I'll take any hints you can give!!!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #9  

Put your PB on your 1/2 banana, or I just had the LA Chocolate Shake, the powdered one that counts as a lite. with 1/2 frozen banana and 1 T PB with a little crushed ice all blended together, MMMMMMM that killed a LA Lite, a fruit and 1/3 of a protien ( I had two eggs for breakfast for the other 2/3) PB is also good on an apple, or crackers, a small bagel, ...... rice cake I guess, but I am not a fan of rice cakes, english muffin...........I don't like lite bread either, I will eat a half a slice of regular bread or one of these other alternatives before I will resort to the lite cardboard
Lettie
Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 228 in 2006/185/160

Height: 5'4"

The Natures Own Double Fiber bread is pretty good. Its not listed as a lite bread but it only has 45 calories. I toast mine then put the PB on it, I like it all warm and squishy!
MomOfThreeTeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #11  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

I typically do the PB ona Kashi Go Lean Waffle. The waffle has a little more substance than a piece of light bread. Slice it in half toss on some S/F jelly it's a PB & J sandwich without having to use the Carb Craver.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #12  
LAWL since 2/07

S/C/G: 240 / 226.2 / 130

Height: 5'1"

OK ya kinda lost me there. You count that as 1S 1P 1C? Is taht better than doing 1CC. I haven't actually done a carb craver yet and not real sure what the benefit is. Seems that if you do that you have a lot more food during the day but do you really want to do that weight wise? Again, the carb cravers confuse me so let me know how those should be used.
smjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #13  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

S/C/G: 200.2/172/140

Mmmm, hadn't thought about using a waffle as bread for a sandwich...great idea! I was going to chime in about downing OJ at night as a last resort to get the fruits in...that's helped me many times. Raisins, too...those are teeny and go down quick.
hdsqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 228 in 2006/185/160

Height: 5'4"

My mom used to make us PB&J's all the time on waffles for breakfast, grab it quick and eat it out the door!
MomOfThreeTeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #15  
Becca on LAWL

S/C/G: 220/193/123

I have recently been putting my PB on one "sheet" of the LF Honey Maid Graham crackers. Then I sprinkle my 2 T. of raisins on it - It has been a little "treat" that I do every once in a while...
stitchinchick is offline   Reply With Quote