Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default 5 a day!

I'm a firm believer in that if I eat 5 fruits/veggies a day that it's almost a sure thing that I will have a on plan day.
Check it out yourself!

List here what fruit/veggies you have had today.

I will edit my list through out today as I try to eat more!

1/ grapes
2/ red pepper
3/ onions
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #2  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

1 banana
1 cup spinach
1 cup brocolli

I know I'll have at least another two cups by the end of the day - probably closer to 3-4. I love veggies.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Lately,
I've been having 2 fruits per day. I have an apple after lunch and an orange after dinner. My breakfast is a "greens" shake which uses powdered green vegetables which I guess I could count as 1 although it isn't a "whole" veggie.

I made a broccoli/carrot soup which I had for lunch. I will probably also have it for dinner. Not sure how I would count it. 1 serving of veggies? 2?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

1/blueberries
2/strawberries
3/avocado
4/tomato
5/SPRING MIX--omg yum

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 04-13-2007 at 05:05 PM.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I get waaaaay more then 5 in. It is without a doubt what keeps me on plan. I love the volume that you get from veggies and the nutrition. It simply can't be beat.

Today:

Lunch - A red pepper sliced, a sliced cucumber (with a can of tuna)
Snack - 3 cups of cauliflower
Dinner- roasted carrots, roasted asparagus, roasted brussel sprouts with fresh garlic (with a chicken breast - you got it - roasted)
Munchies - some strawberries
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

3 cups of cauliflower!!!! no way!
do you cook it?

On Rachel Ray once I saw her make faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower instead of potatoes.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #7  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I'm also one that gets in much more than my 5 a day, usually more composed of veggies than fruits. I think it's because usually for at least 1 meal a day I eat the entire bag of a frozen vegetable medley (which could have carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, onions, tomatoes, water chestnuts, yellow wax beans, green beans, you name it).

Today, thus far I've had (in my lunch salad):
2 cups of mâche (awesome salad green I discovered a couple of weeks ago)
2 cups of baby spinach
1.5 servings of grape tomatoes
1/2 serving of mushrooms (not really a veggie, but anywho..)

And for dinner I'll probably have a grilled chicken breast with a bag of frozen veggies, so that's another 4-5 servings right there. I might also make some pumpkin soup as a side. I haven't decided yet.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbar View Post
3 cups of cauliflower!!!! no way!
do you cook it?

On Rachel Ray once I saw her make faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower instead of potatoes.
Dana, that's right - 3 cups. I like volume. That's why pasta and rice, even the whole wheat variety doesn't work for me. I'm not satisfied with 1/2 cup serving. Cauliflower has a mere 28 calories per cup and 4 grams of fiber!!!! Which is why it is so filling depspite being only 28 calories. I without a doubt contribute cauliflower to my success. I eat it at least 5 days a week. I personally hate it raw. I cook it in about an inch of water seasoned with some consome, til tender firm, NOT mushy. I don't make faux mashed potatoes with it, but many do. Just cook it til it's mushy and mash away and season to your liking. Great, great stuff.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'3"

Isn't cauliflower expensive? I know you are worth it.

Each day I eat 2 cups of salad, 1 orange, 1 Apple, 1 Banana, 1 cup cucumbers and 1 cup of red peppers.
I then add some vegetables at supper, such as roasted asparagus, spaghetti squash, and green beens.
I will have to try mashed cauliflower.
Wanna be a loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #10  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm a baaaad girl when it comes to fruits and veggies. It's one of the things I'm working on. So far today, I've only had an apple, and some lettuce on my turkey sandwich for lunch (which really doesn't count). I will have broccoli with my dinner, so that'll make 2. Tomorrow I'll try to aim for 3!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #11  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

I normally have a hard time fitting fruit into my day. More of a finance thing, than taste. I love bananas and have a small one in the morning, and a medium apple in the afternoon. I buy the Dole/DelMonte single serve fruits too. And I watch the syrup thats its packed in, I prefer natural juices, and will take 'lite syrp' when necessary, and just drain it.
My new favorite lunch in 1/2 whole wheat pita, some mustard, an ounce of turkey breast and romaine lettuce. I love to buy the bagged broccoli slaw, and add it to sandwiches and salads. For dinner I try to have 2 servings of veggies along with a salad. I found that I was not getting many carbs daily, so I'll eat a starchy veggie every couple of days.
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

OMG, I am so glad I read this thread b/c I totally forgot today was my pick up day for my CSA produce!!! I had to call the Cute Boyfriend and ask him to pick it up on his way home from work. Here's the list of fruits and veggies in this week's pick up:

Avocado
Beets
Carrots
Kale
Lettuce
Mizuna
Strawberries
Zucchini

And yes, I love it all and eat it all. YUM!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote