Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #1  
:)

S/C/G: 180/118/117

Height: 5'8 and 1/2

Smile Question about Body fat and toning up

Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I'm 5'8(and 1/2 if that counts) and 130 pounds. I do cardio and strength training regularly. My highest weight was 180, but that was when I was 12 years old. Anyways, I know that if you have too much fat, you're not going to see any definition no matter how many crunches you do. So I've been assuming that I just have too much bodyfat. My stomach and legs really don't have any definition, which I don't understand because I don't slack off on my workouts. My stomach is flat, and I don't appear to have excess fat, but there's no sign of muscle. Do I really just have too much fat to see the definition? Sorry this is so long, I'm really at a loss though...I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Are there any particular exercises you would recommend?
xtiffanyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm wondering if you just don't have enough muscle? What kind of strength training are you doing? Have you ever had your body fat % measured?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #3  

I haven't had my bodyfat measured in almost two years. I don't remember the exact percent, just that it was somewhere in the teens. I was 5-10 pounds heavier at the time. I don't think it was very accurate though, it was just this little thing my teacher had lying around. For strength training, I do several different exercises for my arms with 10 pound weights, and lift at a friends house because they have a weight bench. I also do body weight exercises like push-ups, squats, and lunges. I do squats with and without weights. I do ab exercises every other day, and I try to do a variety. For cardio I use the elliptical, and I do taebo. Just from my cardio I was thinking that I would develop muscle tone in my legs, but it hasn't happened. Until 3 years ago, I was in ballet. Even then, I was thin but not toned. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm 'skinny fat' because I don't see love handles or flabbiness, just absolutely no definition ...I watch my calorie intake, but don't pay much attention to how much of it is fat/carbs/protein...perhaps I should start keeping track.

I forgot to add that I do have some definition in my arms...that's about the only place I see it.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Are you getting enough protien?

Maybe try lifting heavier.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #5  

Since I don't actually count how much protein I'm getting, I don't know for sure if I'm getting enough. I guess I just assumed that I am because I try to include some each time I eat. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, and cottage cheese. Those are my main sources for protein. It just seems weird that I have no muscle after all the exercise I do. My mom doesn't even work out, but she has muscular legs.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #6  
Mel

Tiffany,
How old are you? The younger you are, the more fat is stored closer to the skin. If your body fat% is really in the teens, you should be able to see muscle definition, and at your weight and height, probably ribs and hip bones!

If you want a really defined look, you need to lift heavier and gow more muscle. Since you certainly aren't fat, that may mean the scale is going to go up a little bit even though YOU may get smaller

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 AM   #7  

Mel,

As of today, I'm 20-so maybe my fat is close to my skin? I thought about that before, but didn't know if it was possible or if I was making excuses for myself. I don't know if my body fat is really in the teens since I don't know how accurate that machine was. I guess I will start lifting heavier. Thanks for the advice everyone . I will work harder-I'm gonna see some definition eventually
Old 04-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Sometime during the night when I should have been sleeping, this thread reminded me of the ebook Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. Is it Tom Venuto? There's some threads around somewhere, Tiffany. It might be worth checking out in your case.
And probably Krista addresses this at stumpuous.com as well.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #9  

Thanks Susan . I just checked out stumptuous.com, and it looked really informative. I'm going to read more on it later. This might be a really stupid question, but I've wondered about it for a long time. When people complain that they're doing their crunches and eating right but they're not seeing results they're told to strength train. When strength training, I feel the workout in my arms, legs, butt, etc., but how does that affect your abs? I've always wondered how lifting has anything to do with how your stomach looks.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

tiffany,
I'm not sure what context you are speaking. If you are talking about losing fat in order to see your abs, strength training and cardio both help with that.

If you are talking about making your abs stronger and defined, quite a few strength exercies will work your core muscles because you are stabalizing yourself. I've seen some amazing pictures of people who claim to do no ab work specifically but do weight training and they have amazing abs.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Um ... I can feel abs during a leg press, leg extensions
Seated crunches with a cable or a band looped over something taller than me.
I do weighted leg lifts, they're my favourites.

What do you call a squat if you push right up to having the bar over your head?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #12  
Mel

Now I really confused by your questions

What exactly do you mean that you "aren't seeing results" ? What kind of results do you want? What is your goal body? From what you've posted, I'm guessing that you want to see really defined abs. The ONLY way to do that is to lift fairly heavy, do a lot of core work, and eat a very clean diet. All the time. Seeing a defined six pack is not normal for a woman. If you are looking a pictures of fitness or figure models, these women usually have clauses in their contracts that give them around 8 weeks notice before a photo shoot so they can diet down temporarily for a photo session or contest which may last two days. If you are looking in magazines, you may also be looking at photoshopped images.

Heavy lifting, cardio and very clean nutrition will give you muscle definition.

What does your goal body look like? Maybe we can help you cheive it if we knew what you wanted.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:29 AM   #13  

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my last post. Anyways, here's a quick snapshot of me...it's dark and crappy, but you'll get an idea of where I'm at now

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mdrmo1

and I'd much rather have a body like Gisele Bundchen or Adriana Lima, not really muscular, but they at least have a little visible muscle tone. I know that means I have to lose more weight too, so I'm staying on track and if all goes well, I'll look good in a swimsuit this summer!

Last edited by xtiffanyx; 04-14-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

You might like this blog

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/

I kind of find it a bit sexist (the assumtion that the prime motivator for fitness it "looking hot") However there is nothing wrong with wanting to look hot and get good muscle definition for purely aesthetic reasons.

And the info seems to be pretty sound.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Tiffany,

Mel or someone can probably tell you how to build muscle better than I--though obviously you need to lift heavier weights and do 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps, and if you're not seeing abs, you'll need to figure out how to work them a bit harder. I just want to say that I looked at your photo and you look really great--with or without defined abs you're going to look gorgeous in your bathing suit. I also looked up your BMI--at 5'8 and 130lb, your BMI is 19.8, which is nice and low. My point here is that you don't need to lose any pounds. By all means, eat healthily and exercise regularly, but your goal shouldn't be weight-loss because you're already very thin. If you're not showing muscle definition, at your height and weight, it is because you're not working your muscles effectively or with enough intensity, NOT because you have too much body fat.

Perhaps you could arrange to meet with a trainer at your gym, explain your goals and then get advice on weight training and a new program to follow. You might just be making mistakes in your form, or not pushing yourself as hard as you think you are. Just please don't diet to eliminate imaginary body fat!!!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote