Old 04-10-2007, 02:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/182/150

Height: 5'7

Default The Serotonin Power Diet

I read the review of this book on this site and bought it. I am excited to try it and am hoping for the best. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this diet. Does it work?
ginbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #2  

Hi Ginbay! I have ordered it also because of the review on this site. I have recently read Fiber35. In my opinion I can continue with my 35 grams of fiber a day and also use the timing and types of food in the Serotonin Power Diet. I have found their site www.serotoninpowerdiet.com there are some blogs, FAQ's and other information that I found helpful.

DO you have the book?? I am thinking about getting serotrim. It is suppose to be taken before meals. It has 170 calories but it has a lot of fiber. It is suppose to give us a mental boost and also help control our appetite.

I hope there are more of us!!

Gina
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #3  

I do have the book and just finished reading it today. I am planning on starting on the plan on Saturday (I have several nights of dinner plans this week). I don't know if I'll get the serotrim or not. I think I'll start with not and see how it goes. What intrigues me about the plan is that it can help control my moods. Like many I am an emotional eater, especially with stress. I am hoping that this can help me get through the afternoons and evenings without eating a ton of junk.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #4  

Yeah, the mood regulation is a big bonus for me also.

Ginbay: what do you think of the book? Does the diet seem do-able??

My Doctor has asked me a few times about stress. From what I understand we produce less serotonin when we are stressed and that will cause us to feel emotional and overeat. We reach for food to unwind because that releases serotonin. What "we" are doing is actually working and does calm us but does nothing for our bodies or overall health.

Is that what you learned??

TIA Gina

Last edited by GinaXOXO; 04-11-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #5  

I enjoyed the book and it does seem doable. What you said above pretty much sums up what I learned from the book. The diet is pretty carbohydrate heavy, which will be odd because I am so used to thinking carbs are bad. The idea is to eat carbs at certain times during the day to keep the serotonin levels balanced during the day. They are specific about what types of carbs to eat during snacks (there should minimal fat) - breakfast cereal seems like a good option. I guess fat slows down the production of serotonin. They also place a lot of emphasis on eating fruits and vegetables and getting at least 30 minutes of exercise a day.

Did you say that you had ordered the book? I think you will enjoy it.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #6  

Hi Ginbay! I got the book today and just spend a few hours speed reading it. I love the book and the diet does seem do-able. I can certainly continue with my 35 grams of fiber and still follow the serotonin guidelines. They really have a lot of studies to support their claims, don't they. Something that I do, that I never realized was a problem, is that I almost always have a carb and protein for lunch and dinner but that is an easy change really (I think).

I am having a hard time figuring out lunch and dinner. I am really fussy and the recipes in the book just didn't do anything for me.

Breakfast is easy because I always have;

oatmeal, skim milk, and an orange

Snack: fiber 1 peanut butter bar probably for 2 snacks and maybe hot chocolate for the evening snack because that is a strong suggestion from the Good Mood Diet (I learned that on Amazon reviews).

Lunch: I don't know maybe eggs and an orange (can switch fruit for veggies) I could have grilled hamburger or chicken over lettuce also. I don't like dressing so salads are boring to me but maybe I can figure out a way to jazz them up--onions, black olives, sunflower seeds. I loved the suggestion to go to the salad bar at the grocery store and load up.

Dinner: again I don't know. Fresh roasted vegetables maybe. Also, I could have pasta or a potato--but I am not sure what to put on them. I saw the list but how do I integrate this into a family meal?? One part of the book said anything low fat. I just don't know. What are you going to do?? Initailly, I thought it would be easy. My family loves meat and potatoes. I wont miss the meat at all. I was going to grill something for them and prepare a starch and vegetable for all of us but somehow it got complicated once I realized there weren't any numbers--if the book told me how many calories for dinner or grams of fat or carbs like it does for snacks I would be able to figure it out. It doesn't so now I am just a little confused.
Gina
Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #7  

I am planning on relying on a lot of salad. I was thinking I could by a cooked chicken from the grocery store and put that on top of salad for lunch and pasta or rice for dinner with a salad or other types of vegetables. Because the book gives the food amounts on ounces I am going to have to go get a food scale. I am planning on sitting down with the book later this afternoon and creating a shopping list and really figuring out what I am going to eat.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #8  

Let me know what you come up with for a shopping list.

Today I had my oatmeal, milk, and orange for breakfast and then had a broccoli stir fry for lunch. We didn't use much oil. I am going to take another look and see if I can find something that will help me figure out meals.

My snacks are the fiber one peanut butter bars.

I noticed that there are a lot of foods that she doesn't mention anywhere else in her shopping lists. For example: BBQ sauce, caramel sauce, ice cream.

She feels beans are carbs, right? So, we can have beans in our evening meal, I think.

Gina

Last edited by GinaXOXO; 04-12-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #9  

I was thinking that if you like stirfry, you could do that for dinner, but with just vegetables and over rice.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #10  

That is a good idea. We haven't really gotten into stir fry until recently. I didn't know it was so easy!! Thanks. How are you doing??

Gina
Old 05-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #11  
it's always something

Are any of you still following this plan? How's it working for you?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

I just started this morning......I would love to find out if anyone else is doing this and how they are doing.
Breakfast:
Weight Control Oatmeal
1 cup of skim milk
1 medium apple

Snack:
1 and 3/4 cup of multi grain cheerios

Lunch:
4 oz chicken breast grilled
2 cups of salad with Newman's own Light Sund Dried Tomato dressing
1 medium tomato

Snack:
2 rice cakes

Dinner:
Baked potatoe with smart balance
grilled asparagus
green beans

Snack:
Low fat Hot Chocolate with 2 marshmallows

Exercise: Walking
Water: at least 8 glasses (64 oz)
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #13  

I am going to purchase it today it seem to be a lifestyle not a quick fix. I wish everyone luck and we will keep in touch.
WILLBTOPMODEL is offline   Reply With Quote