Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #1  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Default Adding some weight training

Right now, I've been doing WATPs videos or using the eliptical. Some days, I also use the exercise ball for work on my abs.

I'd like to start adding some weight training in. I have some free weights at home, but that's about it and I don't want to buy expensive equipment or join a gym.

What are some things that I can do to start a good weight training routine.

TIA!
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jenny,
You don't need expensive equipment to get a good weight training workout.

You can peruse some of the stickies in the Ladies who Lift forum but I highly recommend looking at this site:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

I've also found recently that exercise.about.com has some decent information on strength training and various exercises.
This is specifically a useful page although they have other good articles as well:
http://exercise.about.com/library/blworkoutcenter2.htm

I hope that helps
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #3  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

The bulk of my weight training are done to exercise DVDs, and I basically use dumbbells (I have multiple weights for toning different muscle groups... the bigger ones like biceps & quadriceps certainly can handle more than shoulders & gluts --- it may be worth your investments to buy an adjustable dumbbell whose intensity you can increase/decrease as needed.)

Also a set of resistance bands & stability ball for lighter toning (combined they should add up to $30) - but agreed that you don't need pricey equipment or gym joining.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote