Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #1  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Default What do you think? Cardio

ok.. so I have vowed myself to 1 hour of cardio everyday.. I switch between 30 mins on the eliptical and then 30 mins on this known machine that is like a cross breed between an elliptical and a stair stepper. Anyways.. makes me soooo flippin tired I think I may die. But my sweat really isnt up to par.

However , when I go in and do 15 mins on the elliptical, 15 mins on the bike, 15 on the crossbreed and 15 on the treadmill ( 1 min sprints, followed by 2 min rests 3.5mph, repeat) I give each and every exercise full momento and I sweat like nobodys business.

Its almost like when I do the 2 machines for a long extended time, not only do I get bored but I get so tired that I dont try as hard... anyone have any insight on this??
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #2  
Is on an Infinite Cut

By god.. 36 views and no response yet.. hmm.. maybe I would get better results, posting this were it doesnt belong... such as support..
Old 04-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'll respond, but I have no answer for you. I know nothing about it. I viewed because the title of the thread looked like something that might be interesting, or that I might know something about or learn something about.

If you look around, you'll see that most threads get many times more views than responses. Don't take lack of responses as lack of interest.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #4  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I don't have any insite for you, but if breaking down your hour into 15 min's on a different type of cardio machine is working for you and you're not getting bored, By God, I think you should keep it up!

I mostly just turn on some tunes and do a 45 minute or more step routine and before I know it my hour is up and I am like wait a minute and will start doing weights or crunches or something.

Whatever you are having fun with is what is going to work.

Are you from Savannah? I am, but I live in TN now.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Is the hybrid machine you refer to by any chance a Cybex? My old gym had these fantastic Cybex machines that completely kicked my butt. I miss it!!! One day when I have made my fortune and own my own house, I'm going to buy one of the Cybex arc trainers to use at home.

I tend to get bored doing 45 minutes on one machine (the elliptical is my fave), but I mostly do that anyway--though I will sometimes will mix it up with the treadmill. The important thing is to do what works for you and keeps you engaged. If you'd rather do 15 minutes on 4 machines, go ahead and do it that way! I'd guess you find it easier to work up a good sweat by mixing up the machines because different machines work your muscles differently, so you'd be able to keep up a higher level of intensity without fatiguing your muscles with the same movement over and over and over.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I think by constantly changing it around, you are invigorated and can give it intensity for 5 minutes much easier than doing your 30/30's.

My gosh - I've not seen you around here yet and I see you've los a TON of weigh!! Congrats - that's awesome! Where do you normally post (which threads) and do you have your success story posted anywhere???
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

The more you can mix up your cardio, the better. Do different machines, do them in a different order each time, and change the intensity and other settings (for example, walk on a steep incline on the treadmill on one day, run at a low incline on another day, and do sprints at no incline on another day). Consider running outside one day a week, swimming, or bicycling. I have a personal trainer and he is always after me to change my cardio routine. If you do the same thing over and over again, your body adjusts to it and it isn't as effective. So, setting aside your initial question about getting tried when using one machine for a long time, I think you are better off doing 15 min on three different machines anyway.

I definitely find that trying to do one machine for a long time is harder than doing several different machines in shorter time increments, but I can't say why. I'm not sure if it is just mental boredom or if it really is physically harder. The only machine I ever do for more than 15 min is the elliptical and 25 min is the longest I last on that (any longer and I can't feel my toes in my left foot ).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 291/see tckr/170

Height: 5'6

Hmmmm....Thats a good idea, i get bored very easily doin 30 to 40 minutes straight on one machine....at least if i mix up i will actually do my full 30-40 minutes instead of cheating and stoping at like 20-25minutes.

Thanks Ready2shed, and Barbara!
Angela85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

No insight into your "why" question, but I use a couple of different cardio machines during a workout. I've done an hour rowing, an hour elliptical and an hour on the treadmill (different days, of course), but it was such an effort. Maybe the boredom factor makes you more tired? Now I do 35 minutes on one machine, and 25 on another, although I don't mind running on the treadmill for 35 min., walking a bit, then doing sprints to get the full hour. The rowing machine is hardest for me to do more than 15-20 min.--my butt gets sore! And I also get the numb feet on the elliptical after about 40 min. so that's a good reason not to spend an entire 60 min. on that one.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #10  

hey all! new to the board
i do 30 min on the elliptical and 30 on another machine (treadmill, stairmaster,etc) and i really enjoy it. I work my *** on both machines so i work up a great deal of sweat..
it probaly just depends on the person
HeavensAngela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:38 AM   #11  

Quote:
"why" question
On one machine the whole time you're using the same set(s) of muscles in the same way continuously. Switch machines, something else gets used. It's like being able to run 3 miles but not 13.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

I do 15 minute circuits too, otherwise i get bored, and Im thinking as long as your moving and getting that heart rate up it doesnt really matter!!!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #13  
Is on an Infinite Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

I don't have any insite for you, but if breaking down your hour into 15 min's on a different type of cardio machine is working for you and you're not getting bored, By God, I think you should keep it up!

I mostly just turn on some tunes and do a 45 minute or more step routine and before I know it my hour is up and I am like wait a minute and will start doing weights or crunches or something.

Whatever you are having fun with is what is going to work.

Are you from Savannah? I am, but I live in TN now.
Im not from Savannah.. I am from NC, but Im moving back to Savannah next month to be with my fiancee, we originially moved down there last year when he got a different job

My reason for asking was I didnt know if there was something "scientifically hindering" by doing one specific movement for only 15 mins, then switching muscle groups or maybe if it was actually better for you because you are working different muscle groups to keep your body guessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbabe View Post
I think by constantly changing it around, you are invigorated and can give it intensity for 5 minutes much easier than doing your 30/30's.

My gosh - I've not seen you around here yet and I see you've los a TON of weigh!! Congrats - that's awesome! Where do you normally post (which threads) and do you have your success story posted anywhere???
I usually post in support. As you can see by this thread I am impatient lol so I try to stick with the forums that are very chatty I dont have a success story posted.. I swear I have some before and after pics posted.. I will dig them up for ya. My "success" story would be more like a novel, because I have always been overweight, and I would lose 10-20 here and there... get comfortable and then not lose for a while. SO my weight loss took about 5 years lol, and even then.. the last 20 didnt go away bringing me to a size "accepted by society" as "not fat" until about 2 years ago when I drastically changed my diet and got a gym membership. I am heavy for my height but Im smaller than you would think at 160 and 5'4.