Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #1  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Salad dressing!

I posted the below in the 100 lb support group, but just in case there are some here that do not go to that group, I wanted to post it here too. Thanks in advance!!
Okay...I love salad and I am very aware of the danger of HFCS and that it is basically in every salad dressing on the market shelf. I do not like the taste of vinegar or oil on my salad (maybe this is mostly phsychological, I don't know). I also cannot tolerate a "dry" salad. So....in light of the above, just what CAN I put on my salad? I do use low-fat/fat-free dressings when eating out and I always dip my fork in the dressing instead of putting it all on my salad. I have found this reduces my intake a LOT!

I'm trying to follow a wholefoods plan of eating, by the way.

Anyone have suggestions to remedy the above? Thanks again! You people are fabulous supporters, and I really appreciate it!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I often take homemade dressings to restaurants, in the teeniest plastic container I can find, so I'm not pulling out a big bottle out of my purse.

I "googled" salad dressing recipes and just printed out the ones that sounded good. buttermilk and low fat mayo make great salad dressings, with just about any seasoning mixed in you like. My favorite dressing is just light mayo, minced dry garlic, and paprika. I also buy ranch dressing powder in bulk from a spice and baking goods store (there are also recipes on the web).

I rarely make the dressings in the quantities or exact proportions as described, but just cut the recipe way down, and make just enough for a salad or two (usually portions aren't that vital anyway, as there's one or two base ingredients and then season to taste so you don't have to be a math whiz to cut the recipe, just guestimate).

For adding a little zip to a cream or french dressing, or vinaigrettes (which I do like), rice wine vinegar is my favorite vinegar (champagne vinegar is also great if I can find it) because it is very mild and doesn't require much oil, or sweetener to balance it out.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 PM   #3  

Check out www.galeoscafe.com their dressings are miso based and I can pronounce all the ingredients in them! (no HFCS!!) I cannot say enough about these dressings, I stumbled upon them while reading an interview with Suzie from biggest loser. Very low in sodium, very low in fat (1 or 2 grams I think), very low in calories and very high in flavor. Check it out, I don't think you will regret it, they are awesome (no, I don't work for and am not affiliated with this company in any way).

Hope it helps you out!
2BAbeachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Depending on what you put in your salad (what sort of flavor you are going for), salsa can work very well. I have tried it before with the regular jars of salsa, but I find the fresh salsas (in the refrigerated shelves near the rpoduce, typically) are much better--not as runny or mushy.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #5  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I just season my salad with whatever I fancy (sea salt, black pepper, garlic, maybe some fresh basil) and mix up olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Because the salad dressings here in Holland are absolutely disgusting, I don't know any other way to deal with my salad dressing except to make my own!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #6  
Starting over 3/24/2017

These are great tips!! Thanks so much! I will definitely be making some big changes. I cannot wait to try all these.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

From a nutrition perspective, there are an awful lot of fat-soluble vitamins in most vegetables. If you are having a salad on its own, try to get some healthy fats in it, olive oil based dressings, avocado, nuts, maybe a little bit of cheese, so you can take full advantage of those nutrients. If you are having it as a side to a regular meal, probably not as big an issue.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Oh, yeah, my favorite homemade--equal parts mustard (I like spicy/brown), honey, and olive oil, blended well.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #9  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
From a nutrition perspective, there are an awful lot of fat-soluble vitamins in most vegetables. If you are having a salad on its own, try to get some healthy fats in it, olive oil based dressings, avocado, nuts, maybe a little bit of cheese, so you can take full advantage of those nutrients. If you are having it as a side to a regular meal, probably not as big an issue.

Anne
Hmmm, never knew that! Thanks for the tidbit! I love having sunflower seeds on my salad. I feel better about that now! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
Oh, yeah, my favorite homemade--equal parts mustard (I like spicy/brown), honey, and olive oil, blended well.
Now that sounds good. I will have to try this. Maybe that will help me be able to tolerate the olive oil on my salad a little better. As I said before, I think me not liking oils or vinegar on my salad may be part psychological. I am getting so excited to know that I don't have to de-nutritionalize (is there such a word? ) my salads anymore!! Thanks a million!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

I like basalmic or rice vinegar on my salads. I also like to use a combo of salsa and lf or ff sour cream, thinned down with a little skim milk. Sometimes I use this when I put warmed up black beans on my salad, add some avocado and you get a pseudo taco salad (no chips, of course ). I usually make my own salad dressings so I know what's in them. Most commercial ones are now too salty for me. One exception is a ff sesame ginger dressing I like (and it probably has HFCS but I don't eat it often) made by Lighthouse. It's in the refrigerated produce section in my grocery (Marie's is there too).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #11  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
I like basalmic or rice vinegar on my salads. I also like to use a combo of salsa and lf or ff sour cream, thinned down with a little skim milk. Sometimes I use this when I put warmed up black beans on my salad, add some avocado and you get a pseudo taco salad (no chips, of course ). I usually make my own salad dressings so I know what's in them. Most commercial ones are now too salty for me. One exception is a ff sesame ginger dressing I like (and it probably has HFCS but I don't eat it often) made by Lighthouse. It's in the refrigerated produce section in my grocery (Marie's is there too).
This sounds good too! I'm wishing they would make "rice milk" sour cream! I have given up drinking cows milk and have hypothyroidism so soy doesn't work either. I think making your own dressings is very smart, because you are right - you are completely in control of what goes in it. Thanks so much for the info!!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Have you looked at the ingredients in the Newman's Own Lighten UP dressings? They do contain sugar, but real sugar not HFCS. I know sugar doesn't contain any nutrients, but I don't use them all the time (I make homemade dressings mostly.) Hey, it's better than the dreaded HFCS right?!?!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #13  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
Have you looked at the ingredients in the Newman's Own Lighten UP dressings? They do contain sugar, but real sugar not HFCS. I know sugar doesn't contain any nutrients, but I don't use them all the time (I make homemade dressings mostly.) Hey, it's better than the dreaded HFCS right?!?!
I definitely would tolerate a little sugar now and then but not HFCS. Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

I aslo was going to suggest the Newman's Own Lighten Up dressings. I have tried most of them available in my market, and like them all. Especailly the Light Balsamic Vinagairette. They don't taste "light" for "flat" at all...I can't stand fat free dressings, myself....
healthyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #15  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

For a creamy do-it-yourself dressing, mix plain yogurt with Mrs. Dash or a packet of Good Seasons dry mix, or most any herb, spice or seasoning. Stir very well and let it sit in the fridge at least 24 hours for best flavor.

If you strain the yogurt beforehand, it makes a nice veggie dip.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote