Old 03-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #1  
Back fat Be Gone!

Default Any bean sprout recipes

I have been craving egg rolls like crazy, but it's really just the bean sprouts and plum sauce that I love. Any recipe ideas out there?
sugarholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #2  

I have found some egg rolls at Walmart that are 2pts a pitce. I put them in the toaster oven and they taste like they are fried. They are over by the deli it you would like to try them.
Kempyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:58 PM   #3  

Really old, old, old WW recipe is using bean sprouts instead of pasta noodles. I also use vegetable pot stickers to get my fill of something similar to an egg roll.
AnnieRu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #4  

Default Pita Ham and Cheese with Tomato and Sprouts

Well I am new at the sprouts game - started sprouting about a month ago and interested in finding recipes myself - few out there that I can find so I invented this one which even my wife loves:

1 pita bread, small (around 7-8 inches), halved
2 tsp mayo applied to inside of both halves
2 each thin slices of ham
1 each thick slice of Swiss cheese
2 tsp brown mustard
1 cup clover or alfalfa spouts
1/2 each small onion, finely diced
2 tsp green chili salsa, mild
1 each large slice tomato, halved

For each half pita after coating inside with mayo, slip inside the following:
- take a slice ham and coat with mustard;
- take 1/2 Swiss cheese slice and put on upper part of slice of ham;
- add 1/2 slice tomato on top of cheese
- add 1 tsp green chili salsa on top of tomato
- sprinkle tomato with half of the finely diced onions and half the sprouts
- fold the remaining covered ham over sprouts
- insert package into pita
- repeat for second half pita

When both halves are finished, heat frying pan sprayed lightly with oil at medium heat and place each half pita in pan. Place weight on top to press down - could use a smaller heavy frying pan. Cook 5 minutes per side and serve and enjoy - best tasting pita we have ever had!

We have a GT Xpress101 unit which cooks these directly in specially designed pockets.... works fantastic that way also:

http://www.firstpagefitness.com/blog...healthy-meals/

Last edited by whuebl; 04-10-2007 at 06:45 PM.
whuebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I buy beansprouts at an oriental market and they come in a huge bag for the same price as the regular grocery store's small bag. (mine at home never taste as good, so I just buy them) I use them like lettuce on sandwhiches and stuff, and I love them in asian chicken broth.

A vietnamese restaurant had a chicken Pho, that was so good. White meat chicken breast, asian chicken broth, fine noodles, and on the side, lime, cilantro, hot sauce, hoisin sauce, and bean sprouts to add to taste. I buy Pho cubes at the asian store (I'll use canned chicken broth if I absolutely have to). I add a little bit of fish sauce (smells rank, tastes wonderful but remember to sprinkle not pour) and a huge pile of fresh bean sprouts and cilantro if I have it. Oh, so yummy.

I also love soft viatnamese rolls. You buy the rice papers (usually round) in an oriental market, and you just slip them into a large bowl or pan of hot tap water to soften. Then you fold like a burrito with fillings like bits of cold deli or sliced meat (I like chicken or ham and shrimp), bean sprouts, cilantro, mint or basil leaves. I make a dipping sauce of garlic, ginger, Splenda, fish sauce, and rice wine vinegar (I just eyeball it now, but there are tons of recipes on the web and at first, I just would use one of them and substitue Splenda for sugar or honey).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #6  

Default Bean Sprouts with Chicken and Mushroom Soup

This recipe looks great:

http://www.cookingcache.com/poultry/...tchicken.shtml
whuebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #7  

Tonight I made a great salad.

1 head romaine lettuce
1 head red leaf lettuce
8-10 green onions sliced (the entire Walmart bag)
1 bag of bean sprouts (also the entire walmart bag)
1 bunch of cilantro, just the leaves, chopped

I mixed this in a huge bowl. If the bean sprouts hadn't been super fresh (nice and dry, not at all slimy), I probably would have just added them to the individual salad, but since they were so nice, the mixed salad will last for for a feways.

In a non-stick skillet, I quickly seared a very thin steak (jerky cut, or breakfast steaks from Walmart). with a little oriental seasoning (like teriyaki sauce or the asian chili vinaigrette from Aldi (good salad dressing and seasoning, and only 25 calories and 3 carbs for 2 tablespoons, Aldi also has a good ginger sesame dressing that makes a great marinade, cooking sauce, but it is higher in carbs and calories).

I put a nice serving of the salad in a serving bowl, and put the rest of the undressed salad in the fridge to use over the next couple days. To the serving bowl, I added the beef, and a little more of the Aldi chili vinaigrette dressing, and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds. Oh, so yummy.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:21 PM   #8  

few days lol