Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Cottage Cheese

Please don't think I am strange. I have never had cottage cheese. People tell me that it is good but I guess my parents never ate it when I was growing up and I just never tried it. Well I keep reading about how it is a good source of protein, it's low fat, and has a decent amount of calcium. I actually hadn't had yorgut until like 2 years ago either.

I was wondering what other people think about cottage cheese?
What do you put it with?
Is it ok alone or I've seen people put pepper on it.
Should I buy full fat, low fat, fat free? (Does one type taste significantly better then another)
Name brand v. Store brand?
Large or Small curd?
Do the fruit doubles taste good (or would I be better adding something like sugar free jelly or unsweetened applesauce)?

I know these may seem like weird questions but I hate to spend money on something and then not like it.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #2  
Amy

S/C/G: 233/188/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi there. I enjoy cottage cheese. I normally eat it after I work out. I add a small amount of cold-canned-crushed pineapple or 1/2 of a canned pear in light syrup. I have also eaten it as a side dish for lunch or dinner with pepper. I buy 2% low fat. I think the fat free is nasty. I also prefer small curd but most of the time you get what you get when you buy low fat. I think you can only get small curd in whole fat. Good luck. Give it a try.
buffalosister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #3  
LLV

I love cottage cheese and I love the fat-free. It's the only kind I'll eat.

I normally just eat it plain. Or I'll sometimes put it on baked potato (in place of sour cream) or mix it with spaghetti squash. Sounds gross, I know, just a little 'thing' of mine. I also like it with sliced fresh tomato and a little bit of salt & pepper.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #4  

I love the stuff. When I was a kid I used to eat it with ketchup.

Fat free works okay in recipes, but by itself.. I'd rather have low fat. I get small curd, low fat no problem. I've never had large curd because small is what my mom always bought.

I like it sweet, with fruit or with splenda and cinnamon, or else savory with sauted veggies or in a spicy salad. I also use it to make Shannycakes with Oatmeal, egg whites, and spices.

How well you like certain brands is really personal preference. I've had Lucerene, Trarder Joe's, Knudsen to name a few and have liked all of them
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Cottage cheese is one thing I absolutely refuse to eat. I wish I liked it. It IS a good protein source with a low amount of calories. I would love having another low cal protein source. I had it decades ago as a child and it just turned me off so much. It was wet and piece-y and slimey. I literally have not had it in over 30 years (I'm 43 now). It has been a while, maybe, just maybe I ought to give it a try again. Afterall tastes do change as we get older. Nah, I don't think so.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #6  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Cottage Cheese is wonderful stuff . . . I like the 1%, personally . . . and, for some strange reason I much prefer it with vegetables rather than fruit. It is a bit high on the sodium but that's about the only drawback I've bumped into. It's good in salads and, of course, in pasta dishes like lasagna, which can be much more diet-friendly by adding lots of low-carb veggies.

My very favourite way to have the benefit of cottage cheese lately is in the Protein Pancake recipe that has been floating around 3FC in various slight variations . . . the simplest of all . . .

1/3 to 1/2 cup of egg whites
1/3 to 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
1/3 to 1/2 cup of rolled oats (not instant)

Whiz it around in the blender until relatively smooth and then just cook in a Pam-sprayed pan like any other pancake. You can add fruit or cinnamon and vanilla and a little Splenda if you like, or just eat it with a NSA maple-flavoured syrup. I don't think I'd ever want to go back to a flour-based pancake again . . . I much prefer these . . . and because of the high protein content, they really keep you full, too.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I love the stuff. I usually get fat-free. For breakfast, I would put cold fruit in it like pineapple or oranges. I sometimes put canned tuna, lots of pepper, and a little italian dressing in for a light meal.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #8  

Oh.. definitely try it! It's a great source of low cal protein!
Let's see...

on a baked potato
on salad in place of dressing
in protein pancakes (with blueberries! yum!)
smoothies (gives them cheesecake like flavor)
in dips in place of sour cream
plain on crackers
in place of ricotta in most recipes
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #9  
Ari

S/C/G: 400/341/150

I eat Borden fat free cottage cheese. The store brands tend to put a lot of extra water and calories into theirs with other fillers besides the cottage cheese itself (check the serving size, number of servings, ingredients, etc). It seems like Borden packs their packages pretty well without it ending up too watery. I usually just eat mine plain (boring), but I like it best with some fresh strawberries or other berry fruit. I don't like canned fruits because the syrups usually have too much sugar.
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #10  
it's always something

I love Breakstones nonfat or low fat cottage cheese. I avoid store brands, they are usually nasty! I love cottage cheese served with a kosher dill pickle
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:45 PM   #11  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Ohhhh I love cottage cheese. I usually get the lowfat store brand because I am cheap and will take the taste trade off for price LOL.

I usually eat it with peaches (fresh or canned) but I also like it just plain with a dash of pepper on top. I have also thought about trying it on salad..but I am too chicken to do it. I see someone HAS tried it (ejm) so I think I may.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #12  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

OOOOOOH that pancake recipe looks good! I would never have thought of that. I know what I am making for breakfast this weekend
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

I love cottage cheese! The texture is kinda gross - I try to buy the small curd kind. But oh so yummy, especially with pineapple!

P.S. My dog wouldn't eat when we first got him until we started putting a small spoonful of fat-free cottage cheese on top of his food - works wonders!
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #14  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Definitely a cottage cheese fan as well. I can eat mine with anything really! Fruit, veggies (cut up tomatoes with salt/pepper/paprika), mixed in and mashed up with salsa to be eaten on toast or Wasa crackers, on top of a baked potato, on a burrito, in black bean soup... anywhere I would use sour cream, and I use it to sub for ricotta in lasagna

I would go for small curd, if I were you. I always use LF CC but we don't even have NF here!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

I also like Cottage Cheese. I buy the cheapest low fat small curd brand and eat it alone. If I get it on a salad bar I like to drizzle a little salad dressing on it.

My hubby only likes the full fat large curd. He puts black pepper on it and likes to eat it with canned sliced peaches or apple butter.

I guess it all depends on your taste. Try one kind and if you don't like it try another. I just bought Light and Lively and didn't really care for it.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote