Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #1  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Default Guess What I Bought Yesterday?

... a pedometer! (Sorry to all of you who hoped it was a pair of size 6 jeans/a Ferrari/a date with a hot man!)

I never really understood why anyone used these - but I am starting to!

Do you have one? What do you use yours for? Does it 'challenge' you and keep you motivated to MOVE?!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I do have one and was surprised how quickly I could get up to 10,000 steps per day, it is not nearly as hard as it sounds.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/230/140

Height: 5'1"

I really like using a pedometer. I can actually *see* my progress right on the spot, and it gives me a much-needed boost. Makes it easy to keep track, too. I've seen fancy ones that have headsets and radios or CD players, but I like my plain one that clips onto my waistband and does nothing but click off the steps I take.
cynnymynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I got one from McDonalds once....yeah,odd combination.It worked great,but my husband lost it while walking to work.I then went out and bought one...mid-priced,and it sucked It only seemed to work when it wanted.I'm always on the lookout for another,so any advice in looking for a decent one would be appreciated!
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I love, love, love my pedometer. Although I certainly wouldn't mind a size 6 pair of jeans that FIT. But I love watching that thing move up. Love it. I always sneak in some extra steps and movement so I can closer to my goal at the end of the day. So yes, I find it really does help motivate me to MOVE.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #6  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I need to get a better one! I went walking at the track the other day, and my pedometer said I'd only done 2.4 km when I'd actually done 4...something tells me it isn't very accurate.

That said, even that inaccurate one was motivating! I really want to get one that works.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Ooo, give us a report once you've been using it for a while-- I'd love to get one but I don't know which brands are good.

By the way, I hope you didn't buy a date with a hot man!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I love my pedometer! About 2 weeks ago, I misplaced it somewhere in my house and have yet to find it. I am seriously considering buying a new one because I LOVED wearing it and feel naked without it. I teach and am pretty active person, but I find I usually have to take a scheduled walk to get in my 10,000 steps (so I disagree with Bargoo who finds it easy to get in 10,000). If I get a good 1 hour (very brisk) walk in I usually surpass 15000. 10,000 is my minimum goal every day (don't always hit that target), but I read that 13-15,000 is recommended if you are trying to lose weight.

And YES wearing the pedometer is motivating. On days when I don't have 10,000 I will often take short walks to get steps in. It was about 9:30pm one night and a friend called, so I took the phone outside and walked laps in my yard while chatting to get my 10,000 in. On my really good days (longer walk days) I get 17-18000. The hall monitors at my school wear them and they regularly get over 20,000 steps a day just at work!!! Unbelievable! Yes, they are all fairly thin.

Mine is the Eagle -- I bought it on ebay for about 15.00. It's supposed to be one of the more accurate brands. I forget the whole brand name, and I don't have it here to look at but I will look it up. I first had one that cost $3.95 from WalMart but I don't think it was very accurate. The main reason I got rid of though was it started to rattle and the noise drove me crazy. Ok... enough ramblings about my pedometer. I clearly need to order a new one....I miss my pedometer!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #9  
Token Vulcan

I've had one for a couple of months but I bought a new one tonight because the first one keeps breaking down, freezing, re-setting, etc. But I've worn it almost every day, only forgot it a couple of times. It's definitely motivated me to walk more to make those numbers go up. The new one also counts calories burned and separately counts aerobic steps (which is defined as walking more than 60 steps per minute and steps taken after 10 minutes of continuous walking or running).

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 04-10-2007 at 09:37 PM.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote