Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #1  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Default I started culinary school today....

Cassi - fill in the rest!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #2  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Joni-you crack me up! You had me going for second! I thought I was losing it . . . .
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #3  
LAWL since 2/07

S/C/G: 240 / 226.2 / 130

Height: 5'1"

hehehe yep I was thinking "wow, lots of la weight loss people becoming chefs"
smjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

LOL... OK, taking a break from work so here goes...

I woke up at 5:30 to leave the house at 6:30. Felt really strange wearing chef whites instead of office attire. Arrived at school and it was kinda funny pulling up to a parking lot with over 100 people dressed like me.

There are about 20 people in my class. Most of them are younger. They all look in their 20s. I did meet one girl who is 41 so I'm not the oldest!!! There are a few others that look a little older too.

Spoke w/DH during the break and he said, "Are you the oldest in the class? Are you the shortest in the class?" DH is somewhat of a comedian. But I think I am the shortest, LOL.

Chef Instructor is awesome. He's had 15 years of restaurant experience and 16 years as an instructor at the school. We basically just got to know him and his history, and then went over uniform requirements and the syllabus. I have to read one chapter in our main book tonight, a few pages in another book and do about 20 vocablulary words so that I am ready for the lecture tomorrow.

I have four books for this class, and the main book I swear weighs about 20lbs. It's about the size of a 3" binder, but hard bound and awkward to carry. Oh yeah, as I'm running out of the house this morning I realize there is no way I can carry all of these books without putting them in something. So I run into the garage to try and find one of DD's old bookbags. The only thing I could find without waking anyone up (it was their last day of Spring Break) was a small backpack that we used to use as DS' diaper bag. Grabbed that and ran out.

Got to work around 12:15 so that means I have to work only until 8:15, which means I should be home by 8:50. I can take a quick shower and be ready to do homework at 9:00. Chef said he is giving us our homework assignments about three weeks at a time so after this week I can work ahead on the weekends so that I can have a little bit of family time. I'm pretty excited about getting home that early because that means that most of the time I can see the kids before they fall asleep. Well... I knew 14yo DD would be up, but the 3yo falls asleep somewhere around 9-9:15.

So... it's pretty quiet around the office because most people leave at 5 unless they're working late. This shouldn't be too bad.

Oh yeah. Went to WI today because it was open house and the lites were on sale. I'm up from last week. Can't remember how much, but not caring right now. I told them that I can't have any food in the office during Passover, and then Easter, and then starting school, etc. that I was going to do FF (not TO) on Wednesday. I told the (somewhat new) counselor that I didn't think TO was a good idea with my schedule and she agreed, so I am just getting by until Wednesday when I will start anew.

I will have DH take a picture tomorrow morning in my uniform and I'll post. Didn't want to wake him up this morning.

I am sooooooo excited, though. This is definitely the right thing to do. Life's too short to earn a living doing something you don't like.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

yea Cassi! I can feel your excitement through the monitor! good for you. Can't wait to see your pic in white!!

lettie
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

I didn't even look at who wrote it I just thought, "oh goodie Cassi is on and is going to finally catch us up." then I read it and cracked up ! Good one Joni.
Lettie
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #7  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Cassi - thanks for the update. I had to think of a unique way to get your attention. I think folks are starting to think I have sick stalker disease, so I figured this was a clever way to get your attention. I am just so excited for you. In another post I mentioned that you couldn't start culinary school until after Easter because in the south it isn't "proppah" to wear white before Easter! Can't wait to see the picture and I'm glad you'll be able to tuck your little guy in each night. So is DH cooking for everyone while you've got this busy schedule???
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Oh, Joni, you crack me up. That's right, though, wearing white before Easter just isn't Southern.

DH will be cooking for the family in my absence. But, really, DS only eats eggs, pancakes, pizza and chicken nuggets anyway. And DD only eats certain things too, so my cooking prowess is lost on them anyway. I told DH I would cook some things on the weekends to freeze and help him plan the menu for the week so he's not staring at a refrigerator and wondering what to do. But he's pretty good at following directions when he chooses to read them. I'm sure there will be plenty of tacos, hamburgers, steaks and grilled chicken going on. He can grill at least.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #9  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Sounds great Cassie!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2"

Cassi, I'm so excited for you!!! You're right. Life is too short to earn a living doing something you don't like. I need to figure out my "dream" soon, so I can get out of my yucky job.
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #11  
LAWL Chick

S/C/G: 191.6/145/135

Woohoo, Cassi! Way to go on following your dream!!!
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 AM   #12  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Gosh, I'm happy for ya! I've been debating cooking school for a while, but don't want to work in the usual restaurant kinda thing. Hmm......are you planning on doing catering?
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #13  
Kate - LAWL since 10/06

S/C/G: 211.0/154.2/130.0

Cassi - So excited for you!!!! I want to have a fun job when I grow up too! You will need to share your yummy recipes with us, POP ones of course. LOL.
katiebug77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #14  
LAWL Salt Police

Cassi.. That's awesome.. I've always had this idea of doing something like that, and here you are doing it.. Way to go...

So, can I assume we'll see you on Food Network soon, preaching about LAWL friendly meals? (Of course you won't be able to call them LAWL due to copyrights, but we can probably help you out with that... )
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #15  
LAWL since 2/07

S/C/G: 240 / 226.2 / 130

WTG Cassie - I'm so happy for you. You are going to have a hectic schedule for a while but I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end. Yougogirl!
smjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote