Old 04-10-2007, 06:21 AM   #1  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default I'm frustrated and don't want to be!

Okay...please don't interpret this as a whine session, because it's not. But, I'm getting frustrated that I cannot really seem to have better losses than 1 lb at a time (which I know is okay but after I feel like I work really hard in the week to do everything "right", it is frustrating to keep having these low numbers). I have had a few 2-lb-loss weeks, but very few and mostly 1 lb losses.

Now, I know the typical response is "slow is a good thing." But, I don't want to creep into home base either.

My main point for this thread? I don't want to let this frustration and discouragement take root. I know this is a therapeutic place, and I know if I can confront my feelings about this here I will do much better by just getting it off my chest. This is not a beg for a pat on the back, etc., but I wanted to sound off and then get maybe some ideas of what you have done to help yourself keep a positive attitude about this as well as make your weight loss happen at a little faster pace. I don't have to have 5-lb losses or anything, but I would like to have steady 2-lb losses.

I'm sorry for rambling...I'm just wanting to head this feeling of frustration off right now before it gets out of hand (as it has so many times in the past and thus the reason I fell of the wagon )

Thanks, my dear friends! I know you will understand where I'm coming from and have great words of wisdom about this.

Hope everyone has a great OP day!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I understand completely! I mainly have 2 lb losses...but I was hoping for 3! hahaha I think it's just one of those things that we have to overcome our impatience (and our tendency to panic) and just realize that we're doing things properly and the weight has no choice but to leave. However, apparently it can choose at what pace it will go! Look at your ticker and think about how far you've come....and how many 1 lb weeks you've had! You certainly don't want to have to start over!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:03 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Okay. First off I know that you know 1 lb losses are fantastic. A loss is a wonderful thing and each and every one of them should be celebrated. I know you've had a couple of 2 lbs losses as well. You throw them in there with the 1 lbers and they really add up and quite quickly at that. You have lost a real nice chunk of weight so far. You never have to see those 23 lbs ever again. They are gone. That's almost 5 sacks of flour you've gotten rid of. Woohoo!!!

Instead of me telling you what I have done for "faster" losses, which I can basically sum up this way - I stay on plan day after day, week after week and so on and so on. I eat only healthy foods, I exercise every day and drink lots and lots of water. Why not tell us what you do and we'll see if we can help you tweak it a bit? We can throw some suggestions at you, see if they sound like something you might be willing to try. What's your typical day/week like?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #4  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Tricia: You are right - I certainly don't (and WON'T) go back! I just want my frustration dealt with. If I'm destined to lose only 1 lb per week, then I want my mindset to adjust to that and not feel like I'm going too slow if that is what my body wants to do. Thanks for the encouragement!

Robin: Thanks for the encouragement! As you probably remember, I have recently switched to the whole foods and am still learning so much. However, I have cut out sugar, white flour, pasta, and the like. I read labels to avoid HFCS, sugar, etc. However, one area that I do have trouble with is eating at salad bars. I have to have at least a LITTLe salad dressing and always try to get reduced-fat/calorie dressings (if they have them). I am sure these contain HFCS but that is all I have since I don't buy things for the house that has it in them. I cannot stand the taste of vinegar/oil on my salad (I wish I did so I could have some alternatives). Other than that, I don't know what else to include. Feel free to look at my FitDay journal to see if you spot something I am overlooking. Thanks SO MUCH for being willing to help me AGAIN!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

Okay I just lost my whole long winded post to you. Grrrrr. To try and put it a little more briefly. I glanced at your fitday. I have lots of trouble looking at that. It's hard for me to see the calorie breakdown per meal. I do see lots of chips and bread and oatmeal and honey. I do think you could use way more fiber/vegetables. I do see that your breakfast appears to be 458 calories. That's a bit high. BUT if it works for you and you know that's what you need it to be, well then that's another story. Have you tried Fiber One Cereal with some blue or strawberries and skim milk for breakfast? Way less calories, waaay more fiber and very filling. Your snacks are not as nutritious as they could be either. But again, if that's what's keeping you on plan - well then that is of course key. Instead of 175 calories worth of non nutritious chips, how about some cut up veggies - cukes, baby carrots, grape tomatoes and some hummus. Less calories, more filling and more nutrients. Or a fat free yogurt with some Fiber One cereal added in for crunch and for fiber. A slilced apple with cinnamon sprinkled on it and a few almonds. All really much better choices.

It really is a choice. THE most important thing is that we find a plan we can STICK to, because if we don't STICK to it, well then of course it won't work and we can't lose the weight. There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with losing 1 lb a week. NOTHING. Not even a little bit. If this is a plan you can live with forever and ever then you are way ahead of the game and headed for complete and total success. BUT if you are anxious to try to kick it up a notch and there are NO GUARANTEES that anything will speed up your losses, then perhaps you might choose to switch to some healthier options. Adding more fiber and vegetables and elminating some of the bread/carby products and non-nutritious snacks. Adding fiber these past couple of months for me has greatly helped to keep my weightloss moving as I am getting smaller. It burns more calories just digesting it then any other foods. Not to mention all of it's other benefits.

You also didn't mention your water intake and your exercise. There are debates about benefits of drinking alot of water, but I know for me, and me alone I find it ESSENTIAL to drink lots of it. Exercise is also vital. Increase that and more then likely you will lose weight quicker. It's up to you.

You really and truly are doing phenomenally. So many women would be thrilled to be in your position. You are losing at a steady pace and you should be so proud of what you have already achieved.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Ritzyfritz -- I get what you're saying, especially now that my own weight loss has slowed/stopped [though in my case I know exactly why]

Here's how I'm trying to think (emphasis on the try). I am trying to focus less on the scale and more on some of the more intangible, but maybe more important benefits of all this. Like my fitness and abilities.

The scale is an important tool, but if we are successful, at some point we will lose all the weight and not be focused on losses each week. It's much less motivating to eat well and exercise and watch the scale sit there week after week. So, if you are successful, at some point you will have to learn to motivate yourself to do all that without the movement of the scale.

So, it might help to think about it in that way.

I get that idea from the Maintainers' Forum -- you don't have to be maintaining to read OR post there, and I encourage you to check it out. It's really helped give me a long-term mindset!!!

And congrats on the losses so far!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #7  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Okay I just lost my whole long winded post to you. Grrrrr. To try and put it a little more briefly. I glanced at your fitday. I have lots of trouble looking at that. It's hard for me to see the calorie breakdown per meal. I do see lots of chips (I actually have had more in the last few days - sun chips - because I hadn't gone grocery shopping; however, I usually don't eat them) and bread (high-fiber, sugar free) and oatmeal and honey (I eat this daily due to the superfoods book recommendation). I do think you could use way more fiber/vegetables. (I agree, though I usually do get a lot in my opinion - but then, that is probably where my problem is - I don't really know what "a lot" is! LOL!) I do see that your breakfast appears to be 458 calories. That's a bit high. BUT if it works for you and you know that's what you need it to be, well then that's another story. Have you tried Fiber One Cereal with some blue or strawberries and skim milk for breakfast? (Yes, and I like them both. I eat blueberries every morning - superfoods. However, I get full on the oatmeal whereas I didn't on FiberOne), Way less calories, waaay more fiber and very filling. Your snacks are not as nutritious as they could be either. But again, if that's what's keeping you on plan - well then that is of course key. Instead of 175 calories worth of non nutritious chips, how about some cut up veggies - cukes, baby carrots, grape tomatoes and some hummus. Less calories, more filling and more nutrients. Or a fat free yogurt (I have quit eating/drinking anything that is made with cows milk) with some Fiber One cereal added in for crunch and for fiber. A slilced apple with cinnamon sprinkled on it and a few almonds. All really much better choices.

You also didn't mention your water intake and your exercise. (I walk on the treadmill 40 minutes a day at 2.5 MPH and do calisthenics 10 minutes. I TRY for 64 oz of water, though some days it consists of decaf tea) There are debates about benefits of drinking alot of water, but I know for me, and me alone I find it ESSENTIAL to drink lots of it. Exercise is also vital. Increase that and more then likely you will lose weight quicker. It's up to you.

You really and truly are doing phenomenally. So many women would be thrilled to be in your position. You are losing at a steady pace and you should be so proud of what you have already achieved. (Thank you so much for these kind words!)
Thanks so much, Robin! My replies are in red within your quote above. I value your advice and input and will definitely fix these areas you pointed out. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for me. You're an inspiration!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #8  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
Ritzyfritz -- I get what you're saying, especially now that my own weight loss has slowed/stopped [though in my case I know exactly why]

Here's how I'm trying to think (emphasis on the try). I am trying to focus less on the scale and more on some of the more intangible, but maybe more important benefits of all this. Like my fitness and abilities.

The scale is an important tool, but if we are successful, at some point we will lose all the weight and not be focused on losses each week. It's much less motivating to eat well and exercise and watch the scale sit there week after week. So, if you are successful, at some point you will have to learn to motivate yourself to do all that without the movement of the scale.

So, it might help to think about it in that way.

I get that idea from the Maintainers' Forum -- you don't have to be maintaining to read OR post there, and I encourage you to check it out. It's really helped give me a long-term mindset!!!

And congrats on the losses so far!!!!
Thanks, Wyllen! I agree that the scales are not always friendly, but that is the most readily available tool for me to measure with at this point. I do take my measurments every month, and that is encouraging. I guess I'm just in the old rut of using the scale as my indicator! I will have to check out the Maintainers' Forum! Thanks for the invitation - and thanks for taking time to reply. I really appreciate it!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

Don't kill me, but I see another area that IF you want to improve you can. And that's only IF. You can increase your exercise/activity. This has worked for me greatly - I do 5 - 10 minute spurts through out the day (I aim for 50 minutes) of walking in place/dancing/or just plain old moving in ADDITION to my regular exercise. I can not begin to tell you how this easy and very doable movement has helped my weightloss. In fact I just took a small empty jar and I have 10 paper clips (each representing 5 minutes), and when I complete a 5 minute spurt (which I usually stretch to 6 mins) I put another paper clip back into the jar. So that hopefully at the end of the day my jar is filled with the 10 paper clips. I know it sounds silly, but if you are anxious to speed things up and again, broken record time, you don't need to, it's a great way to do so.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #10  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Don't kill me, but I see another area that IF you want to improve you can. And that's only IF. You can increase your exercise/activity. This has worked for me greatly - I do 5 - 10 minute spurts through out the day (I aim for 50 minutes) of walking in place/dancing/or just plain old moving in ADDITION to my regular exercise. I can not begin to tell you how this easy and very doable movement has helped my weightloss. In fact I just took a small empty jar and I have 10 paper clips (each representing 5 minutes), and when I complete a 5 minute spurt (which I usually stretch to 6 mins) I put another paper clip back into the jar. So that hopefully at the end of the day my jar is filled with the 10 paper clips. I know it sounds silly, but if you are anxious to speed things up and again, broken record time, you don't need to, it's a great way to do so.
Okay, great! I'm going to try to do this. Thanks a MILLION! Now wish me luck (I don't believe in that, but it is such a habit to say! LOL) that I will get this all "right." I so appreciate your help!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #11  

Ritzyfritz,

I haven't tried them myself, but there are brands of yogurt made with soymilk. I think one brand is called "Horizon." Try Whole Foods, Trader Joes or any healthy food store. Some higher end grocery stores may have soy yogurt also.

There's no law that says you must eat yogurt. I really like Stonyfield Farms brand, but that is made with cows milk.

I can't eat a lot of soy because I have hypothyroidism, and soy interferes with the absorption of the medication.

Oh, and I totally understand the frustration of losing slowly! Everyone's body is different-you will reach your goal in the end, though.

HTH-
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Ritzy, have you tried doing intervals with your exercise? I've found that I do so much better when I vary my heart rate by doing harder intervals intermixed with a steady rate. Also, have you considered adding weights to your program? I don't know what I'd do without my weight workouts.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #13  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie76 View Post
I can't eat a lot of soy because I have hypothyroidism, and soy interferes with the absorption of the medication.
I have hypothyroidism also and so that is why I drink Rice Milk.

Thanks so much for the encouragment!! I appreciate it!!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #14  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Ritzy, have you tried doing intervals with your exercise? I've found that I do so much better when I vary my heart rate by doing harder intervals intermixed with a steady rate. Also, have you considered adding weights to your program? I don't know what I'd do without my weight workouts.
I have a Body for Life for Women DVD that I just got and have only done once. I wanted to try to do that one day and then my usual routine the next. I do carry hand weights and work my upper body when on the treadmill. I have currently worked up to 3-lb weights.

Thanks for mentioning this. I will be sure to do my BFL DVD again soon. Maybe that is where I have gone wrong in my workout. I appreciate your advice.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #15  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I was going to suggest mixing up your exercise routine as well. Longer, lower intesity exercise one day, short, high intenisty or interval training the next. Add some weight training, and you have a nice, well-rounded routine.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote