Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 AM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Reality vs. Perception

Last week I came home with my son and got the fright of my life.

I went up the stairs and just as I was going into the bedroom , out of the corner of my eye I saw a thin young woman cross the end of the hall towards my sons room.

I was getting ready to beat the crap out of her....after all I had 30 pounds on her so I could take her.

The "woman" was my reflection in the hall bathroom. The door was open about a foot and I never leave it open. With the light from the skylight and the shadows I was disoriented a bit. But the point of my story is..

When I didn't know it was me, I saw a thin person.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Yep.

It'll take a while to get out of your 170 lb mind.

Have you gone clothes shopping yet? Now THAT's an experience.

I dont' know why it is that we never completely trust the scale...lol, like it's a fluke and you're going to gain 50 lbs in water weight back overnight, right?
HarPoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #3  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I lost almost 40 pounds so far too, and while I never got your mirror experience -- I did spend the better part of this past month wondering why all my T-shirts (including some from high school--at least 7 years back) are fitting like muumuus.

But a funny and I guess positive NSV experience--- just do a double-take before throwing that first punch
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Wow ennay, that is almost creepy. Wow. I would have been terrified, then elated. I can relate to you. Although I haven't had the bathroom reflection thing going on, every now and then I'll pass a mirror and say "who the heck is that woman?" She looks so, so.... average and normal. And it's me. Last night my kids were looking at old photo albums and they came across a picture from about 14 years ago. And lo and be hold I was in one of them. They are such a rarity. I asked my kids if I am thinnner now then in the pic. And all 3 of them said simutanously "Yes!!!!". One of them went on to say "Soooo much thinner, look how round your face was and look how wide you were and ............" That was a real eye opener for me. I wish I could get a better "feel" of how I look.

I am so happy you were able to see the thin person that you have become. Enjoy.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Ennay - that's great!

Try positioning a mirror where you can't see the head... I do that all the time and I look so much thinner when I can't see it's me!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #6  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Last week I came home with my son and got the fright of my life.

I went up the stairs and just as I was going into the bedroom , out of the corner of my eye I saw a thin young woman cross the end of the hall towards my sons room.

I was getting ready to beat the crap out of her....after all I had 30 pounds on her so I could take her.

The "woman" was my reflection in the hall bathroom. The door was open about a foot and I never leave it open. With the light from the skylight and the shadows I was disoriented a bit. But the point of my story is..

When I didn't know it was me, I saw a thin person.

WOW! I think this is amazing!!!!! It really makes me wonder just how much our mind plays into this whole weight loss thing. Quite a bit I'd say! I also caught a glimpse of myself in a full length mirror at my brother's over the weekend. While I've only lost 12 lbs. so far, I was extremely and pleasantly surprised when I saw my reflection. Much better than what my "mind" sees in my head. Keep up the great work and ENJOY!!!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

You've done it ennay, and I think you're starting to see keeping it up is also do-able! You're not going back, for one thing I can tell you dont want your kids eating too much junk or becoming overweight, so it does appear your changes are now permanent. Plus, you love running and honestly, how many overweight runners do you see (or when you seem them, if they've kept up the running for the long term then they're no longer overweight).
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Well look at your ticker, silly!! Of course you're thin! Takes a while for the head to catch up with the body, I guess. Just goes to show that we always judge ourselves more harshly than we judge others, I guess. Congrats on your success!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #9  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi ennay!

You ARE thin, kiddo! Honest! I hope that you will be able to use this weird event as a teaching moment for yourself to PROVE that you have achieved your goal!!

Just as I didn't "see" myself as fat when I WAS fat, I am having trouble "seeing" myself as THINNER (not yet THIN!), now that I have lost a bunch of weight. I'm thinking that it must be a lot like the anorexic person experiences - an unrealistic vision in the mirror that does not coincide with reality.

Body awareness is a strange thing!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #10  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Red face

I went shopping with a friend. I said I needed an apron, but of course nothing was going to fit around big ole me. She rolled her eyes and said at least try. I said if it didn't fit I was going to be devastated. The apron fit with room to spare. I didn't buy it, but just couldn't wrap my head around the whole experience.

I guess I say this to say....Just like the weight loss takes a while, maybe it takes our heads a while to get around the changes.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote