Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #1  
Wanna Be a Loser

S/C/G: 221/206/155

Default Running shoes

Which brand is generally better for running out of the following?

Adidas
New Balance
Reebok
Saucony

I am new to exercising, and I am in desperate need of shoes, but I can't spend a lot of money on them.

Thanks for any reviews you can give!
jokemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #2  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I'll see what others have to say but I have a hunch the question really is "which shoes are best for you?". The smartest thing I did was to go to a real running store, have my gait analyzed and have them recommend a few different pairs...all of which felt great actually. And I think I tried on 3 pairs from 3 different companies.

If money is tight, I still would get properly fitted but either wait for a sale or ask about "last year's models". I know where I went, the stuff that was a bit older, but just as good, was a fair bit cheaper.

Good luck!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #3  
Wanna Be a Loser

S/C/G: 221/206/155

Thank you, Elisa! I will research running stores in my area, and check them out this weekend
jokemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #4  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

I agree its a very personal choice depending on the way you run & walk and also highly suggest you go to a running store. Personally, the two brands that are best for me are Mizuno & Saucony.
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I was in an Adidas Supernova Cushion but just switched last week to Saucony Triumph's after a person fitting. They are great for my feet. Take some used shoes with you when you go - they can look at them and tell if you over or under pronate or are neutral. If you pronate, they will offer you control shoes. I'm neutral so when they gave me those just to "test" me, I said I hated them and they hurt my inside ankle, which proved to them I didn't need control and was truly neutral. I am over 200 lbs so I really need the cushion shoes. I also have a wide foot. Just telling this all to prove it is very personal. Don't fall into the trap of low cost shoes (I know there are a ton of New Balance out there in the dept stores and places like Famous), because you will either have to quit running from pain or spend the difference on co-pays for going to the doctor...totally serious about that one. You should really expect to pay $80 or more for a quality running shoe. And the hi price is worth the personal service to get fitted bc they will spend anywhere from 1/2 hr to 45 minutes with you depending on how many you try on. It's worth the mark-up. Plus, they will usually give you a 2 week guarantee in which you can exchange them for something else if they don't work after running in them 2 weeks. No other store will give you that. After you find a pair you like and use for 6 months, they you can shop online and get your replacements elsewhere to save $$ if you need to. Personally, I'm convinced I will want to be refitted every couple of years to see the new styles that come out and after any significant weight loss. It was THAT GOOD of an experience.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote