Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2007, 11:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

Question Spinal Stenosis????

I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis back in November and have had 2 epidural pain injections which really took care of the pain. From what I have heard a person can have 3 of these injections in a 12 month period.....my Dr. said that I'm too young for surgery. From everything I understand this is a problem I will have to deal with for the rest of my life~

Now after being pain free for 3 months the pain has returned. I now have pain going down my legs and it has seemed to stall right on my hip.
I sit for 8 hours a day, at times the pain is almost enough to bring tears to my eyes.

Walking and most types of exercise hurt like heck.

I was wondering if anyone else deals with this problem????

mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 AM   #2  
Meg

Hi MGF!

Ouch on your hip! I've got two areas of 'severe stenosis' myself - my doctor told me that I have an 'eighty-year old' back to go with my 'eighty-year old' knees.

I just finished a series of three epidural injections about two weeks ago and go back to the doctor today. Luckily my pain is about 90% better. I'm so sorry your relief didn't last! I don't know what my next step is if mine wears off too soon?

Even though it hurt like the dickens, I exercised every day throughout the months leading up to the diagnosis and throughout the injections. It was very hard at times and I had to adapt what I doing, but I was afraid if I stopped, I'd never start again.

The only piece of cardio equipment I could use was the elliptical. Even the bike was too painful, so I stuck with the elliptical. But sometimes I had to drop the resistance when things were especially painful.

I added a ton of ab and lower back exercises to my routine and really think that's helped by strenthening my core muscles.

Has your doctor suggested physical therapy? Have you tried cardio other than walking? Do all exercises hurt?

I'm so sorry you're going through this - I really feel your pain!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote