Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #1  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

Default what's your favorite cold cereal?

So I'm trying to eat breakfast everyday--this is a new thing for me. I love a cooked breakfast like oatmeal and eggs etc., but I decided to try Fiber One because I have days when I need something really quick. When I had it today I thought, wow, is that ever sweet! Then I checked the box and realized that it has aspartame in it.

Looking for recommendations for alternatives!
mariposita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Kashi go lean crunch. I love it,but the serving size is pretty small. I am also afraid to keep it in the house, because I love eating it out of the box.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I really like Uncle Sam cereal. It has 10 grams of fiber per serving and only 1 gram of sugar (it's very lightly sweetened with barley malt.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I love raisin bran but have just bought Fiber One and really like that (especially with a banana on top). I could go on and on. Cereal is one of those foods that I really, really love, but I try to buy only the healthy types. My kids like some others that I personally don't like. Thankfully they both appreciate the lower sugar varieties. In the past dozen or so years, I've eaten less and less cereal and I don't know why. I can buy a box and it will last for a couple of months.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Cheerios! These are my #1 for all time. I've eaten them forever. But I also like the chex type ones that are corn on one side, rice on the oth other (Crispex?) though it doesn't have much fiber. Barbara's original Puffins are good too, but he PB ones are nasty! I will occasionally eat raisin bran, but those are about my cold cereal likes. My DH on the other hand likes all of them! He's especially partial to frosted mini-wheats.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I prefer to buy my cereal from Trader Joe's because it is cheaper and, often times, better for you than the mainstream brands found at the grocery store. My two favorites are High Fiber Cereal (that's the name, just High Fiber Cereal) and Flax Plus (the flakes, not the granola). Flax Plus is carried at some traditional grocery stores (my Safeway carries it, but charges quite a bit more for than TJ's).

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, you might try the High Fiber Cereal. It is very similar to Fiber One, but does not contain aspartame (although it does have cane sugar crystals for sweetener).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #7  
Kimmy

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/130

Height: 5 foot nada

Cheerios is my #1 favourite. Next to that I like my puffed wheat!
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 139/137/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm addicted to cold cereal. My current faves:

Kashi Go Lean Crunch (regular and Honey Almond Flax)
Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Oat
Kashi Organic Promise Cinnamon Harvest

In the past, I've loved Smart Start (Healthy Heart and Antioxidant), Multi Grain Cheerios, and -- as a treat -- Honey Graham O's -- but these choices are not as nutritiously sound.
poppins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #9  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

These days, when I eat breakfast (about once a week) I'm eating Kashi's High Fiber. It took a few tries to really like it. Love the crunch factor.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I eat 1/2 cup Fiber One Cereal with 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean with 1/2 cup skim milk every morning.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #11  
it's always something

What's my favorite? Peanut Butter Captain Crunch But I eat Fiber One Honey Clusters. It has 14 grams fiber per serving and tastes good
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #12  
Christine's Mission

S/C/G: 178/152/135

Height: 5'6"

Kashi Go LeaN!!!!
i love it, honestly i eat it dry and munch it when i want something crunchy... and it's filled with fiber and protein to fill you up
nosnah1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
What's my favorite? Peanut Butter Captain Crunch
LOL, so true! Put me down for Fruity Pebbles! I used to eat bowl after bowl; seriously, I could easily eat an entire box in one sitting. When I was reading the Anne Rice vampire novels, I ate Count Chocula (I was seriously into vampires).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, you guys!!! Cap'n Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Krispies, Rice Krispies, Boo Berry (used to LOVE that as a kid--not so much now). My mouth is watering!!! I haven't had any of these for so long. The kids love Fruit Loops which I'll nibble on dry and Reese's Peanut Butter cereal (again, I'll nibble it dry). Not that I'd be able to eat a whole box, but my "serving size" is something like 2-3 cups with milk. Not a good idea!!! I haven't had any of these cereals for quite some time (well, except for Rice Krispies--they aren't so bad). I also love Crispix, especially the Honey nut kind.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #15  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

Thanks so much for all the great ideas! I'm excited to have new things to try out. And honestly, I forgot all about cheerios, even though that's what I used to give my kids way back when there weren't as many healthy alternatives.

I only wish there were a Trader Joe's anywhere nearby. Needless to say, I'm jealous of everyone who does.
mariposita is offline   Reply With Quote