General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #1  

Default new recalled pet foods regarding kidney failure

HI everyone, I just got wind of the new recalls and quite frankly I am freaking out a bit. Trying to calm myself down here! Anyways, just wanted to tell you all that they have updated the list and s ay that more recalls are likely on the way.

do a google search , plug in recalled pet food and read the latest news, from what I can see we need to keep updated daily! From the latest news I read today, " hills pet nutrition said late friday that its prescription diet m/d feline dry cat food included the tainted wheat gluten. Hills, so far, is the only company to recall dry food". I am so concerned, I buy vet food for my 4 cats and it's hill's prescription diet!, though c/d, not m/d! still, this does not console me much. I am freaking out! THis supposed supplier (where the tainted melamine is coming from in china is not being exposed).........I read that more recalls are sure to come. omg! I told my dh, don't feed them tomorrow, I am going to the deli to buy turkey!!! low magnesium at least, one of male kitties has had 2 bouts of cystitis in thepast and I must watch his diet.... ok sorry to ramble, please read on.

Science diet feline savory cuts, the cans, has also been tainted.

Other updated news: Purina! Nestle puina is "recalling all sizes and varieties of it's alpo prime cuts in gravy wet dog food". Please pass on the info. and let's keep updated. Visit www.menufoods. com or plug in recalled pet foods in the task bar and read the very latest news! We must be diligent about keeping up to date. Also, as I am sure many of you know, an animal will not show kidney failure symptoms until the majority of the kidney is detsroyed. Read up and look for signs and symptoms. If you notice excessive thirst in cats, hovering over food bowl, etc...... don't waste any time getting them to the vets. I have had cats all my life and many of them have had kidney failure due to old age so I know what to look for, I suggest we all familiarize ourselves with the symptoms and watch them closely so we can get them treatment as early as possible. Jeeeeeeeez, : (, should i put my kitties and pup on detox for a day? omg, I am going to the deli tomorrow to get turkey for them!!!! wish you all the best of luck and remember to keep updated!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #2  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Hey, thanks for this update. My cat and dog both eat Hill's Science Diet. It was still on the shelf of the Pet Valu store Sunday. Think I'll give them a call to see what's up. Does it include the Hairball Control dry cat food? Thanks.

Jo
Old 04-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

just relax....if your food isn't on the list its ok. hills m/d is the only dry food recalled. It is the only dry food recalled...and they don't even know if it has the toxin in it..its just as a precaution.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
just relax....if your food isn't on the list its ok.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The pet food recall is widening. If I remember correctly, some snacks like jerky treats and the like are also being recalled.

It's getting worse. The only thing I'm feeding my dogs is Natural Balance. They have no association with Menu Foods.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thankfully the foods my dogs eat (they each have their own brand) do not contain wheat gluten and neither is manufactured by Menu foods (I checked all the associated web sites and PetSmart still has both on the shelves). I feel best about the fact that they are dry foods. I think that if I fed a wet food, I would probably have already moved to cooking my own dog food at this point.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Thankfully the foods my dogs eat (they each have their own brand) do not contain wheat gluten and neither is manufactured by Menu foods (I checked all the associated web sites and PetSmart still has both on the shelves). I feel best about the fact that they are dry foods. I think that if I fed a wet food, I would probably have already moved to cooking my own dog food at this point.
Some dry foods are starting to be recalled now as well, but as long as your brand isn't associated with Menu Foods. Since more and more foods and snacks are being recalled, I don't think ANY product made by Menu Foods is safe, even though they claim some of them are.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:49 AM   #7  

my kitty was on a science diet food and all of a sudden was getting sick (she's usually very healthy)...a week later the first of the pet food was recalled. my mom switched to organic food. problem's solved.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

ok...FYI the ONLY dry food right now that is recalled is M/D...it has wheat glutten in it..and its only being recalled because of the chaos that is going on with the wheat gluten. Not necessarily that it is contaminated. I have been staying up to date with it daily on a vet forum and the USDA info. So as for now, several companies may pull food but its due to all the chaos and concern with wheat glutten...and remember they come from different sources. Right now no other dry food is recalled (despite what news stations are saying). If you don't have anything from menu foods you should be safe. And btw..many of the brand names of wet food (ie old roy wet)..the dry is made at another place usually. Since canning plants are usually different from packing plants. So alot of times the dry is made by a totally different company/location. I think if you are feeding dry...you should be safe.
Closed Thread