Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Fun Dieting Games

To carry on our conversation about dieting games, that started in the thread - Does anyone actually count down the days until they get to goal -
I thought I'd start a new thread with an appropriate title

I am making a deck of "challenge cards" that I am going to draw from every day to pick a challenge. At first they'll be small things, like maybe "take a favorite recipe and make it healthier," or "eat an extra serving of low cal veggies," or "walk in place during a commercial while watching tv".... and as I get in better shape I'll add more difficult challenges.

I got kind of fancy and used a business card making software (sort of like printshop but it came with my printer) to make business cards with a pretty graphic and the word Challenge on them. Then I cut them out and handwrite the challenge on the blank backs. I've done this before with recipe cards, but the business card size is more portable (and so cute).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I live by the railroad tracks... if I get stopped by a train while I'm in my car, I have to contract my abs (hold a crunch) for the time it takes the train to go by.... freight trains and multiple trains are killers!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Jessica!! That's a good one. I don't have train tracks so I'll have to think about some other way for that. Maybe once my son's baseball games start, I could try that when he is up to bat, or when he runs the bases. Interesting idea.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I have done a few smaller fun challenges:

* After being stuck in a breakfast rut, eating 7 different healthy breakfasts for a week.
* Working out for 5 days, get to buy something cute.
* Eating 10 different super foods a day.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #5  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I do the calender thing that was mentioned in the other thread.

I should try some sort of game for water and exercise!
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #6  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
Jessica!! That's a good one. I don't have train tracks so I'll have to think about some other way for that. Maybe once my son's baseball games start, I could try that when he is up to bat, or when he runs the bases. Interesting idea.
Or how about at a red light? I love this idea!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Oh yeah. I do have a red light, Tiffany. I'm going to try that.
I was also thinking about when watching TV, maybe do situps/crunches during the commercials. (although that might kill me)
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #8  

This might not work for anyone who isn't as completely out of shape as I am, but a few nights ago, I was watching a music channel, in bed and started stretching and tensing/clenching and releasing muscles to the music (Bed Ballet?) It was only a couple of songs, so I would have never thought of it as exercise, but the next day my hamstrings and butt were actually a bit sore, so I realized I had actually worked muscles I wasn't used to using.

I also want to dig out my pedometer and try to increase my steps every day. The "beat my previous score," aspect will be fun I think.

Our budget is really tight right now, but it loosens up a bit in June, so I'm planning on buying DDR with the extra money.

I'm also tempted to buy a workout ball, or even an adult "hopper ball - remember those as a kid the riding ball with a handle - they have adult sized ones that hold up to 600 lbs." Problem with that is that we live in a small apartment, and no way am I taking it outside where people could see. The apartment has added a workout room, that doesn't seem to be getting alot of use, and there's the whole basement. Great thing there is that during the week it's deserted during the day.

I sometimes feel really embarassed that I am such a little kid, but I realized how much exercise we got (back in the mostly pre-video game days) as kids in the guise of "play." I want to recapture some of that (without looking too stupid doing it).
Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #9  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

I hear ya, Colleen! Yesterday I started a new workout video, and even though I KNEW my bedroom door was closed and locked, I found myself looking over my shoulder to make FOR SURE no one had entered and could see how silly I was looking! LOL!! I laughed at myself over that one.

I don't know how much of a game it is, but two things I do to keep on the treadmill: (1) I listen to audio books while I walk and don't allow myself to listen to the story any other time except when I'm walking - that way I HAVE to get back over there to hear "the rest of the story!" (2) I talk myself into 10-minute increments. This really helps when I'm really tired, not feeling well, it is TOM, etc., and I don't really want to do it. Before I know it, I have gone 35 minutes and have actually enjoyed it.

I love all the ideas so far! Keep them coming!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #10  

Oh wow, I bet that would work for me too. I once read an article of a study they did with kids, where the treadmill or bicycle was hooked up to the tv, so in order to watch tv, the kids had to exercise (I think they could either watch while riding, or store up some time to use when they were done).

There are actually setups you can buy like this, but the last time I checked they were really expensive. I think the Wii shows promise.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #11  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Default Great Thread, Colleen!

As I watch TV in the evenings, I lift weights. I've gotten some great arm exercises without weights, too, from FullSteamAhead that I do while I am on my exercise ball. I found that I can get even more exercise if I bounce on my ball AS I do the arm exercises. My son (18) mentioned how much fun it looked and asked if he could try bouncing, too. Another day I was exercising and my oldest son and his fiance came in and took turns bouncing and doing arm exercises, too. To quote Chalene Johnson from Turbo Jam: "If it isn't fun, you won't do it!" Well, the bouncing IS FUN! I LOVE doing stuff that's FUN!!!

I'm writing down the ideas from this thread in my journal! Thanks everyone!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #12  

Height: 5.6

I am so glad you started this - --

I do absolutely nothing "fun" so I am going to steal some of your ideas....

THANKS!!!
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #13  

Oh I am so excited about this thread! It is so hard to stay motivated, and everyone has such great ideas! I'm going to add a section to my "Health Binder" just for fun ideas and tips like this. I bought a big looseleaf binder that zips closed, and I put in dividers with pocket folders. I have one section for my journal, one section for my reward charts, another section for recipes, another for diet and exercise articles, and now I'm going to add a creative ideas section for games and tips.

Years ago during one of my diets, I had my sister photograph me every month in the same t-shirt and capri knit pants (my "exercise gear"), I gave up before I could see much progress, but I'm thinking of doing it at least every 20 lbs (each time I complete my sticker weight loss page). It's hard to see progress when you look in the mirror and see the same person that was there the day before.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #14  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Colleen!

YES! This is a SUPER THREAD! Thanks for starting it! I'm recording everybody's ideas in my journal! Your binder is a wonderful idea and very organized, too! My journal is a major hodgepodge of anything and everything, but INVALUABLE as a real window into my thinking at the time of each entry. Periodically I go back and revisit my entries. I have learned a lot about myself in the process!

About the pictures...I put mine in a small photo album that I keep right on my coffeetable in my livingroom. My fat "Oh SH**!" picture is first, then as you turn the pages it is kind of like a flip book of me melting away. I put the dates on the backs and put pictures in only on the topmost pages so you can flip the pages easily and so you can read the dates without having to take out any pictures.

My journals and my photos have definitely helped me to encourage myself and prove to myself that I am making progress.

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #15  

Thanks Cheryl,

but I have to clear up one thing. Just like I mentioned on another thread, that my posts here often start on topic and veer wildly as my mind wanders, so does my binder. It is supposed to be very organized (I'm constantly trying, and failing to be an organized person), but one of the reasons I chose a binder that zips closed, is to be able to "contain" it, as it becomes more cluttered and disorganized.

If I'm in a hurry, or have stuff that doesn't really "fit" anywhere specific, things sort of just get shoved in, with the idea that I'll organize it later. Later usually comes when I can't find something I'm looking for, and I have to start sorting in order to find it (maybe a recipe that was supposed to be in the recipe section, and ended up accidentally filed in the wrong section, or is in a stack of unsorted stuff, just tucked in here or there).

Still, it's a lot better than another habit of mine, which is to make notes and lists and then misplace them, either in plain sight, or tucked in some random spot or folder, where I've placed it "so I don't lose it."

Where do those things go, anyway, as you never seem to find them again unless you no longer need them - I'm still looking for a watch I distinctly remember putting in a drawer (don't remember which drawer, but I'm reasonably sure it was my top desk drawer) three moves ago - It had to slip into another dimension, as that desk was emptied and sold years ago (I have visions of the watch "popping" back into place and surprising the new owner.)

Ok wild tangent over!