Old 04-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~Fiber Fanatics~ April

We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. We’d love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.

If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:

The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat.

1. High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetite.
2. The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber foods than refined or low fiber foods. Burns more calories!
3. High fiber foods are filling but are low in fat (many fat free)

High-fiber foods:

Generally require more chewing time giving your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat.

Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

Less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.

Speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds

Helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day.

Can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #2  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
My calories yesterday were too low and I know it. But sometimes that happens with me. What I did eat was very balanced and hit all the food groups, I just didn't eat enough.
Calories...915
Fiber... 49 grams
Welcome Silverrose, Real food like fruits, vegetables and beans are very important and a great way to get your fiber in. But you'd have to eat a ton of it for maximun fiber. If you don't want to eat the high fiber cereals, maybe you should look in supplements. I love Fiber One myself but I think there are some cereals out there with no added sugar or HFCS. I'm sure someone on this post will be able to tell you which ones.
Quote:
This is my 1st post here. I try to get at least 35 g fiber each day. I usually do thanks to high fiber cereals.
I do question though if I am getting enough of soluable and insoluable? ANd if this is the ebst way to get the fiber..Would eating lots of veggies and fruits and beans be better? Or some combination?
Anyway look forward to learning more from everyone.
Also I am trying to find a high fiber cereal with no added sweetners or HFCS. Natural sweeteners are ok if a small amount..
Gina... Have you tried the All-Bran snack crackers? I have them at noon with my vegetable soup, really good. Let me know how you make out with your 15 day colonse cleanse. That seems extreme to me but I'm new to this kind of cleansing. I'm thinking you'll probably have lots of energy after ridding your body of all the toxins. I purchased a bottle of "Body Rescue" a few months ago and it's still in my cupboards, maybe I'll dig it out and try it.
Catch ya all later.... Bobbi
Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Aww..Thanks for the welcome.. I am not opposed to high fiber cereals..Just want to make sure I do things the most healthful way for my body.
silverose1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #4  

Hi! I will try the crackers. Thank you for the tip!

So far the cleanse is going well. I can't tell a difference. That is good because it makes me believe that it really is gentle.

I am doing well with Weight Watchers Wendie plan. I have been on program for 4 days without a lot of struggle.

The other night I did something "interesting". I went to my meeting and as we were leaving there was a seminar for hypnosis setting up. Both of my parents smoke and both have talked about trying a hypnotist for help. So, my sister and I called them. It was really fun to do that together. It was my Mom, Dad, Sister, Niece, and myself. I wasn't sure if I liked the session and really didn't think I ever went under. I am certain that my Dad and niece went under because of some tests the hypnotist did.

Anyway, my Mom and Dad haven't smoked for 4 days. That is fantastic!! A couple of girls who went also quit . . . one tried to smoke yesterday and said that it tasted awful and she put it out after one puff.

I have had an easier time with the program since then. It could be a coincidence. I really didn't go for myself. My Sister and I went to support our parents. If it ended up giving me a little boost then it is a really great bonus.

Gina
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #5  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
Yesterday's calories were 1,185 and Fiber @ 57 grams.

Silverose... did you ever find some printable work-out sheets. I see some people posted some web sites but I haven't checked them out yet.
Gina...
Quote:
So far the cleanse is going well. I can't tell a difference. That is good because it makes me believe that it really is gentle.
Yesterday I received a spring "Swanson" Health Products magazine and on the cover in huge lettering is the following;

Norway's Colon Health Secretr. Bjodne Eskeland's Colon Tone....The world's first oxygen-based colon cleanser. Inside is a two page article about it. You have spurred me on to sending for the tablets. I'm wondering about something, this doctor said the majority of people spend years accumulating deposits of mucoid plaques on their colon walls. I don't think "majority" is correct. I had a colonoscopy last week and the walls of my colon are free of plaque but I'm going to order it anyway to keep it in good working order. This doctor advocates natural means to achieve good health so I'm going for it.
Why did you go in for hypnosis? Are you a smoker too? Hug your parents for me, I'm so happy to hear it's working for them.

Have a good one, Bobbi
Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #6  
Bobbi

Sneaking in Fiber
By: Reader's Digest

1. Eat cereal every day for breakfast. Ideally, aim for a whole grain, unsweetened cereal with at least 4 grams of fiber a serving. Just eating any cereal might be enough, however. Healthy, high-fiber cereals you might want to consider include Kellogg's All-Bran Original, Kashi GOLEAN, and Kellogg's Raisin Bran.
2. Eat two apples every day. Not just to keep the doctor away, but because apples are a good source of pectin, a soluble fiber that contributes to a feeling of fullness and digests slowly.
3. Make a yogurt mix every Wednesday for breakfast. Take one container of yogurt and mix in 1/3 cup All-Bran cereal, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, and 5 large, diced strawberries for a whopping 12.2 grams of fiber--nearly half your daily allowance!
4. Make baby carrots and broccoli florets dipped into low-fat ranch dressing your afternoon snack three days a week. You'll fill up the empty afternoon space in your tummy while getting about 5 grams of fiber in each cup of veggies.
5. Keep a container of gorp in your car and office for the munchies. Mix together peanuts, raisins, a high-fiber cereal like All-Bran, and some chocolate covered soy nuts. Allow yourself one handful for a sweet, yet high-fiber, snack.

6. Switch to whole grain crackers. You'd never think a tiny cracker can make a difference, but one regular whole wheat cracker has 1/2 gram of fiber. Ten crackers give you 5 grams of fiber. So next time, spread your peanut butter on whole grain crackers (l
7. Mix your regular cereal with the high-test stuff. Okay, we'll be honest. We wouldn't want to face an entire bowl of All-Bran either. But just 1/3 cup packs a walloping 8.5 grams of fiber. Mix it with an equal amount of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios and you'll barely know it's there (but you will be one-third of the way to your daily fiber intake).
8. Add kidney beans or chickpeas to your next salad. A quarter cup adds an additional 5 grams of dietary fiber.
9. Make sure that the first ingredient in whole grain products has the word "whole" in it, as in "whole wheat," or "whole grain." If it says multi-grain, seven-grain, nutra-grain, cracked wheat, stone-ground wheat, unbromated wheat or enriched wheat, it's not whole wheat, and thus is lacking some of the vitamins and minerals, not to mention fiber, of whole grains.
10. Every week, try one "exotic" grain. How about amaranth, bulgur, or wheatberries? Most are as simple to fix as rice, yet packed with fiber and flavor. Mix in some steamed carrots and broccoli, toss with olive oil and a bit of Parmesan or feta cheese.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Bobbi,
I have found some..Some that were listed and a couple of others. I will post links to those sites later on..
I think I ended up with about 40 g fiber yesterday..And I actually got a lot from things other than the high fiber cereal..
silverose1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #8  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone,

Yes I am still here. I have had sick kids the last week so I have not been around much.

Gina, I must have missed the post where you were trying the Wendie Plan. How do you like it? Was Fiber35 not working for you?
My mom went under hypnosis to quit smoking, It worked for her. My husband also went. He just exchange one type of nicatone for a different type. So I would say it didn't work for him.

I have looking for the crackers here but I can't find them anywhere. Hopefully they will show up soon.

well it is way passed my bedtime.

bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #9  
Bobbi

Good Morning!

Yesterday's calories... 1,224
Fiber... 51 grams
My menu was pretty much the same except for supper. DH wanted Chocolate Chip pancakes and sausage. I made them with Bisquick lite mix, only made enough for him. I didn't want to waste my calories on chocolate chips so I made myself 3 slices of cinnamon french toast and only ate 1/2 of a sausage patty. I couldn't force myself to eat the whole thing, (140 calories) besides that, it was greasy even after I patted the fat off it. Yuk!
I think this thread is on it's way out. I thought it was a good idea and really wanted to hear from all the peope that keep their fiber levels up. I also wanted idea's for recipes using high fiber foods. Guess I'll try looking in the food sections, I totally ignore those threads for some reason.
Gina... Maybe you should try a Fiber35 thread, you might have more luck with it since it's an actual diet plan.

See ya, Bobbi
Old 04-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #10  

Hey Bobbi! I am not ready to give up yet!! Even if it is just the 4 of us I think we can take this journey together (now I sound like one of the women on the bachelor!!).

My cleanse is going well. I am taking the pills as directed. Let me know how your cleanse goes.

Thank you for all of the ways to get extra fiber!! In the morning I always have oatmeal. This morning I had two servings (2 extra WW points) because I felt extra hungry and I knew that I would not be able to hand in there until dinner. Do you ever have those days??

Bev I am glad your kids feel better. I am still doing the fiber 35 but I was going a little crazy with excessive calories. I started the Wendie plan to keep my calories down. Also, I like the way the Wendie plan fluctuates the calories to keep my body guessing. It is going pretty well so far. How are you doing??

GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Silverrose~ I'm not sure if you've found this one, but I like Uncle Sam cereal. One serving has 10g of fiber and it has around 1g of sugar per serving (which comes from barley malt.) I try to stay away from HFCS and artifical sweetners too.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #12  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well. So far today I have had 35 grams of fiber.

Gina, I have used the Wendie plan before. I like how the points change. I really need to figure out how to control my excess calories. I think I like food way too much.

It is too bad that the board has not caught on with more people. I will be staying so whether it be 4 or 2 of us.

bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Hey, don't give up just yet Bobbi! Some people are like me (lazy.) I kept meaning to come visit this thread and I forgot. So here I am.

I put in everything I plan on eating today (in fitday) and my fiber should be over 50 grams. I followed the plan thru lunch; we'll see how I do for the rest of the day.

Increasing my fiber really has helped the weight come off faster! I was down three more lbs yesterday and it was still off this morning, so I'm counting it!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #14  
Lolene

S/C/G: 188.5/176/148

Height: 5' 5"

I haven't bought the Fiber35 Diet book yet, but I do try to add more fiber and have bought the Fiber One Cereal as many of you suggested. Are there certain foods not allowed on the Fiber35 diet? I haven't been able to find many reviews on it. Is there a separate forum on the Fiber 35 diet?

Just wondering what everyone's take is on it before I just go and buy another diet book.

Thanks ,

Lolene
Lolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #15  
Bobbi

Yesterday's calories were 1,218 and fiber 38 grams for the day. Fiber was low because I only had one serving of Fiber one.
I made these muffins this afternoon, pretty good!

All-Bran Muffins
½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons white flour
½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
½ cup Splenda (I'm going to add 3/4 cup next time)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 cups All-Bran (original or buds)
1 1/4cup Light Vanilla soy milk
2 egg whites
¼ cup applesauce, unsweetened
Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, set aside.
In large mixing bowl, combine All-Bran cereal and soy milk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg whites and applesauce, beat well.
Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined.
Portion evenly into twelve muffin pan cups coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 400 degrees about 20 minute or until golden brown.
12 muffins @ 85 calories each and 4 grams of fiber.
This is the original recipe I took off the All~Bran site with a few moderations. I cut many calories out by using part whole wheat flour, applesauce instead of oil, soy milk instead of ff milk, egg whites instead of a whole egg. These turned out very good, they might have raised higher if I’d used all white flour but I wanted them higher in fiber. Oh I forgot, the original recipe called for real sugar too!