Old 04-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/sig/125

Height: 5'1

Default Low-Carb Diet Advice

I have been doing a low carb diet for about 5 months now and I have lost about 42 pounds. However, tonight I noticed I am starting to get crazy dizzy spells. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, what is a healthy/normal amount of weight to lose on a low-carb diet? Since I have gotten much more strict in the past month, I have been losing about 3 1/2 pounds a week.
Rikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #2  
Baby Steps

Is it possible the dizzy spells aren't from the way you're eating but from something else? Seems strange to not have any problems for 5 months and then start to get dizzy. You say you're doing "A" low carb diet...are you doing low carb or no carb? And the amount that a person loses varies with each person. The first time around, I lost about 2 pounds a week. Some lose more....some lose less. Hope that helps and congrats on the 42 pounds lost so far!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #3  

Thanks! I say "a" low carb diet because I don't follow the Atkins book perfectly. I just eat about 30 grams of carbs a day and no sugar.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #4  

If it's a sudden onset of dizziness, it could be fluid in the middle ear causing the problem. I've dealt with that over the past 5 years where I wake up (usually after a day of bad allergies or a change in climate after travelling) with vertigo that is very positional (usually when I tilt my head back or to the right). I would encourage you to check with your doctor about this.

Best of luck,
Julie
LadyJulieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 AM   #5  

Thanks, it stopped after I got some sleep, so Im not so worried anymore. Except I weighed myself this morning and I GAINED 3.5 pounds in a day, and tonight its at 4. Any idea why this might have happened?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #6  

Perhaps your TOM and fluid retention?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #7  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Rikku, Congrats on you 42lbs lost! Are you taking any suppliments? In the atkins book he recomends cromium as one of the supliments I was taking cromium and having dissy spells and nausia in the evenings so I stoped taking it and havent had a problem since. Good luck, I hope you find out what it is.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #8  

I'm sorry but what does TOM mean? oh HAHA! nope, thats not it. But I lost another 1.5 yesterday. I think the scale is messing with me.

I think taking supliments would help me Puncezilla, you're right. Any suggestions on which ones?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #9  

I have a digital scale and it seems to weigh me differently within a few minutes of initially weighing myself. I've decided to just make sure my weight is going down over time!

Take care,
Julie
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #10  

Ok! I went to the store and got some splenda packettes to make iced tea with, and some ready to drink Crystal Light. I have decided to give up caffiene completely, since I have insomnia and that can be a part of it. I also got some pickles and string cheese! I have to have my snacks lol

Hopefully eating smarter will stop the weight fluctuation/stalls.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Since spring is in the air and things are starting to bud and bloom, it might be allergies. I've been dizzy for the past few weeks (okay all my life..but lets not go there ) LOL. I went to my doc and its fluid in the ear and sure enuf... allergies... who'da thunk. If you feel like that again, see your doc b/c you never know.

Congrats on your WL
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #12  
Baby Steps

Be prepared for your weight to stall. Your body likes itself the way it is and will protest that you want to change it. And the closer you get to goal...the harder it'll be to lose the weight. And if you've added food, exercise of other things into your day....then that might be the cause of the fluctuation.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote