Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

Default Healthy choices at a Chinese buffet?

I'm planning on going to a Chinese buffet this Saturday with my family. I want to make sure I choose healthy stuff.

Other than steamed stuff, veggies and fruit, what else would you consider healthy options?

Here's the link.

http://www.chinaseabuffet.net/1126051.html

What would you consider to be healthy?

Thanks.
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Some of the items on that buffet crack me up beef enchilada- chinese?

Hot and sour or wonton soup is usually ok

Baked salmon if it isnt breaded, baked mussels, cocktail shrimp, most sushi.

Some of the chicken stir-fry or beef with broccoli MAY be ok in small amounts, it is really hard to say, it depends on how much oil they use. Same with stirfry veggies

I would start with a small amount of steamed rice if you must have any, pile on veggies (tip the serving spoon to drain off as much of the sauce as possible) pile on the seafood if it looks like it is prepared without a ton of oil, and then just put enough of something stir-fried (beef with broccoli or some non breaded chicken thing) for taste. Mix it in with the veggies and avoid the sauce as much as possible.

If you skip the rice and eat with chopsticks you can leave a lot of the sauce on your plate.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #3  
LLV

Well, obviously, stay away from anything deep-fried. But remember, many Chinese stir-frys are high in calories as well because of all the oil.

I can usually survive a Chinese buffet by sticking with things like peel and eat shrimp, wonton soup, steamed meats and vegetables (if they're available, not all Chinese buffets offer steamed options) and picking the veggies out of the stir-frys. I never touch the rice or noodles. That just adds up too many extra calories I don't need, I'd much rather fill up on meat and veggies. And most of the time, since we rarely go to Chinese buffets, I'll allow myself ONE sinful little treat. Like maybe one crab rangoon or one egg roll or one piece of fried fish.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #4  

Heh, I didn't even notice the beef enchiladas until you pointed it out.

I'd eat with chopsticks... except... I don't know how...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post

Baked salmon if it isnt breaded, baked mussels, cocktail shrimp, most sushi.
Watch the mussels, though. Much of the time they're baked in oil or butter.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #6  

^^ I don't like seafood anyway.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #7  
Make it a great day!

S/C/G: 196.6/191.2/160

Height: 5'6.5"

You're all doing a great job! I think that this is the way to be healthy AND enjoy food, especially with a Chinese buffet! My favorite...I hope we go to one for Easter dinner! Beef enchiladas? Ha-ha! I haven't seen those...YET! How about sushi (oh, yeah, you don't care for seafood, Dawn2Dusk) and the teriyaki grill, where you can pick the lean meat and veggies of your choice, and see it cooked in front of you? I hope you enjoyed your meal!

May the blessings of Easter be with you!

::
WorkinItGirl1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My recommendation is practice portion control You can choose healthy options but I'd also recommend trying not to eat too much. Don't go for seconds, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #9  

Thanks for the replies. I'll fill up on all the lean and healthy stuff and have a little bit of something bad only if I still want it after eating all the good stuff. Chances are, I probably won't.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #10  

Unfortunately, I fall under the "Get-my-money's-worth-of-food-at-the-buffet" category. I agree, portion control will be key, here.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Eat with a fork then, but dont scoop with a fork, spear things with the tines and let the sauces and oils drain off.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk View Post
Unfortunately, I fall under the "Get-my-money's-worth-of-food-at-the-buffet" category. I agree, portion control will be key, here.
I think that it is worth it not to have to work my butt off to burn off the calories I don't like buffets very much (except salad buffets! but none near me) but when I visit my parents, inevitably there is a buffet involved. I pick and choose and watch my portions.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk View Post
Unfortunately, I fall under the "Get-my-money's-worth-of-food-at-the-buffet" category.
I used to do that too. And that was one dang hard habit to break. But what I do after I've had one plate and thinking about going back to get more food is I keep telling myself it's only money, it's only money, it's not going to hurt me financially to get up and walk away, I DON'T have to stuff myself and if I *do* stuff myself I'm going to kick myself the rest of the day and that's not worth ANY amount of money.

So I push the plate away and feel content as I wait for everyone else to finish. *IF* I go back and get anything else, I get something like a few peel and eat shrimp (if available) or fresh veggies from the salad bar. Thankfully our Chinese buffet has a salad bar as well. So I'll go get some cauliflower and cucumbers or anything to keep my mouth busy (if the people I'm with aren't finished yet) so I feel like I'm eating SOMETHING.