Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default Where does your fat come from?

Not the fat on your thighs silly.....

the fat in your diet

How much fat do you eat? do you know?

I really try to limit my fats - some days are harder then others. It's weird - sometimes fat fills me up and other times I get terrible cravings.

I still love butter... I don't use much. But I love the taste of it! I will have some nutty whole wheat bread with a tiny tiny bit of butter.. just to taste it.

I also love cheese.. too much! Heck, I live in Wisconsin people.. it's the law!!

I also eat almonds - but I limit them b/c of the high calories. They are high in the good fats and vitamin E.

What kinds of fat do you eat?
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #2  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I use olive oil in stir fries and in salads (occasionally) and I have a soft spot for cheese, like you. I love my cheese, so I just have to be careful and only eat small amounts. I don't eat many nuts just because it feels wrong and strange to me to spend that many calories on such a small amount of food, even though I -know- they're good for me. The rest comes in little bits from my Dannon Light & Fit yogurt, chicken, etc.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I never liked butter/margarine (I had to buy some last month for a recipe, first time I had any in the house in years). I looove cheese, but sadly it does not love me back anymore so I've had to almost give it up (which is sad, because I love cheese and miss it!). I don't eat a lot of meat (very rarely red meat, some grilled chicken or turkey). I am currently tired of yogurt (a serving a day for 3 years wore me out).

I cook with olive oil almost exclusively. So, some olive oil every night, usually. I also eat natural peanut butter on my toast every day. I love the health benefits of nuts, so I add a few nuts to my salad everyday (slivered almonds or walnuts or sesame seeds). I love avocados, I should eat more. I also love salmon, but only eat it about 1 day a week (should eat more salmon!)

I think that healthy fats are important and I have a goal that 20-25% of my daily calories should come from healthy fats. When I'm using Fitday, I check to make sure I am reaching that goal.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Olive oil mostly although recently I bought some avocados and olives so I'm getting some fat from those. Any meat I eat obviously has fat as well so my fat also comes from that.

I love cheese but I rarely eat it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Glad you clarified that, Dana! I thought we might have to go to the very basics. Too much food... too much bad food... no exercize... and there's the fat!! Ha!

I like cheese a lot, but I've tried to cut that down to just about nothing. I still drink a glass of milk every day, so that's part of it.

I also like red meat, so that's in there every so often.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I eat entirely too much fat, I'm the first to admit. A "typical" day's calories are 35-40% from fat. I know this is NOT good and Im making the conscious effort to fix it.. doing pretty well so far.

The BIGGEST culprit for me is the cream in my coffee. I am one of those people who HAS to have a nice big cup of coffee in the morning... on the positive side, I've eliminated cream outside of this (I let myself have a cup in the afternoon once or twice a week, only if I have it with milk). A few months ago I would be having four or five cups of coffee with god knows how much cream in one day.. ick.

Other culprits: peanut butter (I've limited myself to one tbsp every few days now), eggs (i LOVE them but i'm trying to do the egg beater thing when I can, ugg), cheese (I just can't get started, but I have a melted FF piece of cheese on my broccoli with lunch so it gets rid of the craving for hte most part). Olive oil, I LOVE cooking with it, and I also love avocados, the "good fat."
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

mmm...cheeeese...

Yeah, I have to be careful with cheese. While cooking dinner last night (turkey cheeseburgers), I actually snacked on 2 slices, plus had 2 slices on my burgers. Not good.

Other than cheese, I had guacamole in my lunch today, so I got a punch of fat from the avocado. Other than that, I only really eat chicken as my meat (aside from turkey burgers), and I buy the 99% fat free chicken breasts, so not too much fat there.

I find the fat sort of sneaks in on me. Like today--some of my fat comes from my spaghetti sauce (to which I have not added any cheese or meat). I wouldn't think of spaghetti sauce as being fatty, but there it is.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

Honestly, I don't care about where the fat is coming from and how much of it I'm consuming as long as I stay in my calorie range. But I try to make sure it's good fat (olive oil, nuts, etc).

I like to think a little fat in your diet is good since it satiates you. It definitely satiates me.
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #9  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I do about 25-30% of my calories from fats. I try to stick to good fats, but I do eat lean red meat and reduced fat cheeses. My good fats come from walnuts mostly. I eat a couple of tablespoons with my cereal in the morning, and I sometimes add them to my salads as well.

I also take a fish oil supplement daily.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I'm not sure how much fat I'm eating...I've been following Southbeach and not tracking calories or foods. I can tell you that I use a lot of olive oil. I also eat cheese, nuts and natural peanut butter...but, the daily allowance is very strict. When on-plan, the weeks I dont lose much are also the weeks that I didnt strictly monitor the cheese and nuts. I also eat very lean meats and no saturated fats. High cholesterol and heart disease runs in my family, so I have to be careful.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I eat nuts everyday - usually almonds or walnuts. I also eat a lot of salmon, and I use olive oil anytime I need oil in my cooking. Natural peanut butter too - although I don't eat it everyday. My fats are usually in the higher range - but I don't pay much attention, I know they are all healthy ones I am eating, and I am loosing consistently.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am very fortunate that I don't like butter or margarine. So I never, ever eat it. Same thing with mayonaise. I love nuts and yes I know they have good fats in them, but I would rather spend my calories on a higher volume of food.

I use olive oil for my stir fries, no more then a tsp. I eat chicken breast and salmon and talapia. I very, very rarely eat red meat. As for cheese I love it, but the only time I do eat it is when I make either whole wheat pita pizza or pizza using whole wheat flat wraps. And then it is only low fat and just a sprinkling at that.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/238/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm not sure exactly how much my daily fat intake is. I am following a low-fat, low GI eating plan. One of my major weaknesses is cheese - cheddar, mozarella, swiss - you name it, I love it!

Just curious - am I the only one who really can't tolerate the low-fat stuff?

Cheers m'dears!
nyerinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't love the low fat cheeses either. Which is why I don't eat them. And I'm just not willing to eat full fat cheese. So therefore like I said earlier the only time I do eat the low fat stuff is on my pizza. So it's melted and covered with sauce and veggies. It doesn't bother this way.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #15  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Since I just had the fattiest meal since I got here, I`ll share since it`s where all of my fat comes from:

Fry my chicken breast in a teeny bit of olive oil.
Quarter an avocado (I can get some big ones for like 30 cents)
Dice some onions and tomatoes, put a bit of red vinegar, some pepper, cilantro, a bit of chili powder.
Add that on top of the avocado, shred the chicken a bit and add to it. I LOVE it!

So that´s it.
Meats, which are chicken, beef, and tons of fish and shrimp.

Avocados, although I limit myself to one a week. It`s hard, and sometimes I fail. The worst part is that avocados are bigger here, so a binge is baaad.

Olive oil.

Wow. I think losing weight here is easier than I imagine it to be.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote