Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Default ok runners...a little advice

OK...so I need something new...and I've decided that I'm gonna give running...(well probably more jogging to start out with) a try. I've never been a runner....ever...but I'm convinced that I don't really hate it I'm just not very good at it and therefore with practice I can get good and learn to love it.
Also I need something new to add to my workouts at the gym and I'd like to be able to be working out out more outside as the weather gets nicer and although walking is great and I love it and I'll certainly do a lot of it I just need something thats a little more intense.

I've decided that I'd like to eventually train for the Boston Marathon...I know its ambitious and I'm no where near that now but I'd just like to have that long term goal in the back of my mind. I really think that now that I've lost the first 30 and I've been maintaining and hovering for a couple of months that I need something new to put my efforts on....like specific training for an athletic event...not that I haven't found a new love for the elliptical and counting calories but I'm trying everything I can to break out of my rut and maybe all i need is a change of pace and focus. A new challenge.

Any advice from people who have been running for a while? good pace to start with, local run/walks (I'm in the Boston area but also regularly frequent southern NH and ME)

I'm not necessarily looking for charity runs where I would need to physically find sponsors and raise money because I simply don't have time for that.

I also can't say I know whats out there for types of runs...I've heard of 3k and 5k and triathlons but aside from having the ability to calculate distance I can't say I know anything more about them Are there other kinds? Is there a good one to start with then progress as I improve?

Advice on good sneakers...right now I just have a not so fancy pair of new balance sneaks....all that I use them for is working out at the gym which includes basically everything but running. I have extremely bad knees so I know I'll need to invest in a quality shoe with good support...that breathes well.

Calories.... right now I eat between 1400 and 1800 calories a day with 1-2 hours of moderate to vigorous exercise at the gym 5-7 days a week. Truthfully most days I'm coming in at about 1700 to 1800 which is why I've been maintaining and not losing. As I begin running and training I want to make sure I'm meeting the caloric needs that my body needs. Preferably I would like to be losing and upping the intensity of these workouts.

Also I don't want to do things 'wrong'... I'm not sure if there is a wrong way to run but its always a good question to ask... I don't have time to hurt myself I know none of us are doctors but quite frankly I can't afford a trainer right now so I'll take any advice I can get from those who have gone before me!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #2  

There are many beginning runners programs online. The one many women here use is the Couch to 5K, at coolrunning.com.

Go to a real running store for shoes. Look here to find somewhere near you: http://www.runningnetwork.com/stores/index.html . (All modern running shoes breathe well. This is a charming feature during winter and rain.)

Don't worry about how far you're going to race until you're actually able to run the distances.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #3  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

Good luck with the running! I used to be the same as you. I was never a runner...i hated it as a matter of fact! But as I did it more and got the proper shoes I came to love it! There is nothing like running outside in the open air. It's great and very stress relieving for me!! I am now training for my first 1/2 marathon! Believe in yourself and you can do whatever you set your mind to do!!
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:34 AM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I didn't do any sort of formal program so I can't really offer advice there. I started with running in three ten-minute increments with a few minutes of walking in between each increment for two days a week. From there I worked up to my current one-hour run (with a break in the middle where I did cardio equipment in the gym instead of running outdoors). There are lots of great programs out there and you can definitely do it on your own; I know people who have worked up to running marathons without ever using a trainer.

In terms of places to run, look for parks and sidewalks. Try to stay off of busy streets. Gravel and dirt is easier on your knees but harder to run on (so you actually burn more calories on them). It's annoying to have to stop for traffic lights, so a park where you don't have to do that would be great. And it's nice to have pretty scenery to look at. Don't run in the middle of the day when the sun is high in sky and it's hot. Run in the AM, late afternoon, or the evening. If you run at night, wear light-colored or reflective clothing. If the sun is out, you might want to wear sun glasses and a hat. Also, you'll get hot when you run, so dress as if it is about 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. Wear gloves, a hat, and a light-weight windbreaker if it's cold.

I agree with MariaMaria on the shoes; go to a real running store to get your shoes and don't cheap out on them. I didn't do this and I'm paying the price in terms of hip pain and blisters.

I probably wouldn't make any changes to your diet for a while. Give the running a chance to have an impact on your weight, then you'll have an idea of how to change your calories. You may not burn that many more calories running than you do using the cardio equipment at your gym.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I just started running by walking at first then running in increments and built up until I could do a 5K run. I did two in NH...the Concord Rock and Race and the Jingle Bell run/walk. If you really want a challenge, try a Jingle Bell. LOL Running in the middle of a noreaster is a bit different than running in good weather. I think some of those guys doing 8 min. miles in that weather were wearing cleats, cause I was slipping all over the place.

I'm an ex-smoker and a former heart surgery patient, and yet I didn't come in last in either race. I did 14 min. miles on the Jingle Bell and it was my first race. And I did 10 min. miles in the Rock and Race during the Spring.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Well, first, you do know that you have to train for a different marathon first? Boston, unless you do one of the limited number of charity fundraising spots is a "qualify time marathon" Boston is the lifetime goal of many runners...to even qualify for boston is ...WOW. My ultimate dream.

That being said.

Train for a 5 K. When you are done training for a 5 K then look at training for a 10K. It doesnt matter what race. Find a running store, pick up a flyer ask for websites in your areas that have race calendars, pick one and go. Big/small event doesnt matter. Most races dont require fundraising.

You should have a solid base of running 3-4 times a week for 3-4 miles for 6-12 months before even starting a marathon training program. Ramping too fast is how you get hurt.

Get fitted for shoes at a RUNNING store, (hint if the clerk is 17, you are not at a RUNNING store) They should watch you run. They can also help you find races.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

I'm new to running as well and started off by walking...a lot. I trained and walked the 2006 breast cancer 3-day 60 mile walk. With my body used to all of the walking, I eased into running. In December '06 I started training to run a 5k in mid-Feb '07. Then in late March '07 I ran a 10k and in early May I'm running a 15k.

I follow Hal Higdon's training programs while preparing for races. http://www.halhigdon.com/ Hal has all sorts of training programs for all sorts of distances and multi-sport activities. You can also choose from the novice, intermediate or advanced levels (i.e. you can choose the novice 10k training program, or the intermediate 10k training program, etc.). I've been following the novice training programs and its working out well. I set goals for myself by registering in local road races that are progressively longer distances.

Based on my experience, here's my advice:

1. Buy a good pair of running shoes and socks from a real running store
2. Star sloooow. If you have to just walk for a few months, that's fine. You don't want to push yourself too hard and get an overuse injury.
3. When you're ready to start running, try the Couch Potato to 5K training program.
4. Once you've started your running program, register for a 5k that's a few months out
5. Buy some body glide. It's great for feet and other areas of your body that are prone to chafing. You can find this at the running store where you buy your shoes.
6. Stretch long and stretch often. I stretch before and after each run and do 90 minutes of yoga every other day. It makes a world of difference.
7. Hydrate. If you don't like carrying water with you on longer runs, drive your route and hide a water bottle or two along your route.
8. Wear suncreen always, and a hat if you feel you need it. A hat can help protect your hair from UV rays, shade your eyes from the sun and help keep sweat from running in your eyes. I wear a hat made by a company called Head Sweats. It's breathable, very absorbant and machine washable.
9. Cross train. If all you do is run you're setting yourself up for an injury. Swimming, biking, yoga, and even walking can compliment your running program.
10. Have fun!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote