Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Question Consulting a doctor.

How many of you have consulted a doctor, and asked for dieting advice before starting on your weight loss journey?

I feel as though alot of misunderstandings between members asking for advice on the website could be fixed with a simple, "I have consulted with my doctor, and I am sticking to the plan that we outlined for me."

Do any of you believe that it is necessary to see a doctor before you start some sort of weightloss plan? As I understand it, everyone's body is different... having your metabolism tested, and knowing whether or not you have certain dieting restrictions you should follow is probably very beneficial.

I know that doctors don't know everything, and sometimes they can make mistakes, but, it just makes more sense to me that one would try and be safe and get proper advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Just curious, I guess.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I definitely talk to my doctors, about any changes in diet or exercise I make. I am on multiple medications, and I think for me and others on lost of meds, it's very important. For example, two of my medications have specific food interactions, so I can have only very small amounts of grapefruit or liver. I am also on high blood pressure medications that mean I should not drink too much or too little water, and I am on several meds that interact with alcohol, so I can have no more than an occasional small glass of wine.

Even so, my doctor's advice on the subject has been pretty minimal, though I am now requesting a referral to the Weight Management Clinic at our hospital, run by a doctor who has lost 90 lbs herself.

I think if you are young and in good health, you may be able to do without, but I think it's a really smart precaution, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose, or have other health conditions.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:31 AM   #3  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Currently, the number of calories I'm eating was a diet plan that my doctor had made for me long ago, that I never followed until now. I haven't been to a doctor in a while though, but do plan on asking my gynecologist in May if she would change anything about what I'm currently doing when I go to see her, considering she handles matters concerning my PCOS. I plan on having ALL of my blood work done to make sure that I don't need to adjust anything for that, and would ideally like to undergo different tests to see what my metabolism is like, but I'll have to check into what all is involved with that.

Really, everyone SHOULD check with a doctor before changing their eating habits and exercise, but in reality, many people can't afford to go to doctors unless they absolutely have to, and for them, if they're in good health, not on any medications, and young, I'd say just as long as they follow what's generally accepted as being a nutritionally sound diet, then it's probably okay. Better to err on the side of caution, though.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I started my plan on September 4, 2006. In may of 06' is when I decided that I wanted to lose the weight once and for all. After not seeing a doctor and having a check up for many years I took the plunge and went to my doctor in May. I was terrified. But I thought if I was serious about really changing my lifestyle it was totally and completely necessary. I had a full exam, ekg, blood work, everything. When I finally decided to put my plan into play in September, I again went back to the doctor. I wanted everything stated and on the books again. I spoke to her about exercise and calorie intake and vitamins and all that stuff. I just wanted to run it by her and get her take on it and I suppose her "permission". She basically didn't tell me what to do, I just told her what I was going to do. I did want her approval though. For me, it was an important step. Afterall, in my head anyway, that's what healthy people do - they visit their doctors for check ups and talk to them about any concerns they may have.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hmmm... I won't say I disagree with you but more of my personal experience.

I have had two fabulous physicians - neither of whom have ever been fat. Ever.

Although the told me to lose weight, their advice has ranged from "Well... I don't know... eat some more carrots." to "The nurse loves South Beach plan." Not exactly experts. However, I do check with them on my blood pressure, cholestrol, etc.

I think, in general, Primary Care Physicians aren't equipped to handle obesity. Which is pretty sad considering the epidemic of it in the US. However, I could always ask to be referred to a dietician or nutritionist if I had a question. The problem for me, is not the lack of knowledge. It's the lack of application of that knowledge!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

When I was in high school, I went to a doctor every week to talk about my weight. I also had been through various nutritionists and what not. I do make sure that I get a health checkup. I did not go to my doctor and say "hey I want to lose weight" though. I agree with Jessica in that most PCPs are inadequately equipped to handle the obesity problem in the US.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #7  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica View Post
Hmmm... I won't say I disagree with you but more of my personal experience.

I have had two fabulous physicians - neither of whom have ever been fat. Ever.

Although the told me to lose weight, their advice has ranged from "Well... I don't know... eat some more carrots." to "The nurse loves South Beach plan." Not exactly experts. However, I do check with them on my blood pressure, cholestrol, etc.

I think, in general, Primary Care Physicians aren't equipped to handle obesity. Which is pretty sad considering the epidemic of it in the US. However, I could always ask to be referred to a dietician or nutritionist if I had a question. The problem for me, is not the lack of knowledge. It's the lack of application of that knowledge!
I'm surprised we don't see more PCP that are obesity experts.
I'm due to go for a check up... better get on that. It's been a year.

My doctor has not said ANYTHING about my weight.. ever! I think always been slim doctors are afraid of how to touch the subject.

Maybe we should all be seeing a nutritionist as well as our pcp.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Uh ... here I am butting in again. The doc's in the hospital where I work asked me what I did. I told them all calorie counting and walking. They congratulate me and bemoan the fact that people don't want to be told to eat less and get some physical activity.
They send them to a dietitian.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree that too many doctors aren't very well educated on obesity. I had a doctor who was great at telling me what NOT to eat (mac n cheese in a can, cookies, regular sooda--DUH!), but that's not particularly helpful. I had another doctor simply ask me, "So, why don't you belong to Weight Watchers?" I told her I would go if she paid for it

But yeah, I do go for checking on things like my blood pressure and cholesterol and all that good stuff, and I did have to go to a doctor to get a "goal slip" when I joined TOPS, so they knew I would be trying to lose weight. They didn't seem to care to offer any advice beyond that losing weight is a good idea
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #10  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Yeah, I've had the same problem with doctors not really knowing what I SHOULD eat, as opposed to what I shouldn't. I don't need someone to tell me to not eat McDonald's everyday. My pediatrician (that I went to until I was 14) basically printed out the Diet Exchange sheet from the American Diabetes Association and told me to follow their plan, working me down from 1800 to 1200 calories a day. Here, that's pretty easy to follow, but I lived in Europe at the time (visited my doctor when I went back to the states twice a year) and the exchanges weren't printed on the nutrition labels, so it was pretty difficult for me to figure things out. He then sent me to the dietitian at the hospital, and all she told me was "make X amount of your plate veggies, X amount starch, and X amount meat". Not exactly the detail I was needing. My current GP just told me that I needed to "lose weight". Bah, if I decide to go to medical school and become a doctor, you can bet I'm going to become an expert on obesity (the scientific part, I already know everything else ) so that I can actually HELP people if they ask me for advice.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Take it from me....just because somebody has an MD behind their name doesnt mean they know diddly about dieting! It all depends on the doctor. Three years ago, I went to my primary doctor because I couldnt lose weight. I had been on WW, Dr. Phil's and Slim fast and nothing worked. Her answer.....weight loss pills! @%@$%@ Last year, my OBGYN wanted to put me on a diet....a diet he promotes that costs mega bucks! A couple of months ago, my new alternative medicine doctor tells me that he has a perfect diet for me...yep, another mega bucks plan with "special" supplements!

As in my other health issues...ie, hormones, fibroids, sarcoidosis and insulin resistance, I've learned that I have to be my own best advocate and "doctor." Sometimes, it take a lot of research and a lot of questions before I can finally put together the facts.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #12  

Height: 5.6

When I talked to my doctor about specific plans - she told me that as long as the diet was kept balanced and was not eliminating an entire food group - it would be fine. She said that anything that was going to have me eating healthier and exercising more was what I needed. Then once my blood tests came in she was like okay - you need to make sure that you avoiding (you can just insert all high fat, unhealthy foods here.)

If I have a question about something that a diet plan is suggesting - she is willing to answer it, but what it comes down to is that she says pretty much what I have read so many times on the board here, that I had to find something that was going to work for me and that I needed to make it a lifetime commitment.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Nope. Other than my weight, I'm in great health. I'm lucky that it hasn't really started to affect me much (health-wise), yet. But I'm young!

I'm just doing a simple 'eat less, move more' weight loss program, so it's nothing restrictive or intensive that I feel I need to discuss with a doctor. If I were doing something drastic (I consider even something like Atkins to be drastic), I'd probably discuss it with a medical professional. But frankly, I feel like this is something I can take care of myself.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #14  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

In the past, I didn't consult a doctor, but recently I had some bloodwork done, and my doctor informed me that I was prediabetic and recommended the South Beach eating plan for me. I've followed that, and modified it slightly by counting WW points, too, as a way of keeping my calories in check. So far it's working for me, and I go back to the doctor in a couple months to get my glucose (as well as cholesterol, etc.) checked.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well as I said in my earlier post, that I did go to the doctor upon starting my journey. But it was for my own benefit. I wanted the ekg and the blood work up and all. ANd like I said I had to tell HER what I was doing. She just basically kind of listened to me. She did say to me, how very supportive of her, "It's a lot of weight to lose without surgery." Well yes indeedy it is. I can't argue with her. But nevertheless, it is DOABLE. I kinda just kept my mouth shut, who would've thunk that? She did what I needed her to do, my tests and such and that was that. I've basically had to figure everything out on my own.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote