Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default Running

It gives me very tender ankles and extremely soar calve muscles....
so much so i had to walk me hour today instead of run it....
i do stretches and warm up so im not quite sure why i should be in so much pain!
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Someone may move this thread to the Exercise forum, but I just wanted to ask -- are you running for a full hour? Maybe your body's not ready for that and you should run part of the time and walk the rest? I rarely run that long. Yesterday I did 5 miles, which took nearly an hour, but usually I run between 30-45 minutes and I definitely had to work up to that.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

A couple of thoughts - can I assume that you're not brand new to running? If you're running for an hour, that's something you really need to work up to gradually. Also, in addition to warming up, ensure that you stretch out properly AFTER you run. Actually, cold muscles do not stretch effectively - the most beneficial time to stretch is after a workout, when muscles are warm. And, as a person who's had many foot and joint problems over the years, I wonder about your footwear and the surface you're running on. If you're running for an hour, you need some seriously good shoes, particularly if it's on paved/hard surfaces. You may even need orthotics - lots of people do. A store that caters to runners (not sure if you have Runner's World or The Running Room, but probably some sort of equivalent) might be able to help you.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Also if you're running every day, then it's probably your body's way of saying CHILL THE HECK OUT WOMAN!!! What are you trying to do, kill yourself???
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #5  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Like others said, do you cool down stretches, if you're not already.

But since you say you're getting your cramp midway in your run, I guess that's not the issue. You may want to consider some mini-stretch sessions midway through your run (say, everytime you do a lap or if you have to pause @ a stop light). That helped me a lot with my lower back tension.

Also, for me, hydration helps A LOT-- my first sign of crampiness/soreness is a sign that I should break open my water bottle or go find a fountain. Good relief & renewal of stamina as well.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post
Also if you're running every day, then it's probably your body's way of saying CHILL THE HECK OUT WOMAN!!! What are you trying to do, kill yourself???
I agree, as I said when you posted about running before (I think you said you did an hour 6 days a week), I'm training for a marathon and I don't run that much. I run four days at the most, and even taking into account 3 hour long runs I rarely do more than 6 hours in total. Maybe mixing your routine up and doing some other exercise would help so that you're not always working the same part of your body in the same way.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #7  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I agree with the others about not running every day. Three or four at most, probably. Also, shoes are crucial. You need ones that are not only good, but good for you. Hopefully, you can find a running store that has employees who know their stuff and can make recommendations. The basic idea is that if you have flat feet, you need shoes with more stability and if you have high and rigid arches, you need more cushioning and flexibility. You need to replace your shoes every 300-500 miles, too. And try to run on soft surfaces, if possible. (Sidewalks are ten times as hard as streets, btw.)
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:07 AM   #8  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

I have a treadmill, so the running I do is on that.
I am in too much pain to do my hour run today, so i have decided to cycle for a bit insead.
Am off into town 2mora to get me some new running shoes.
No i am not new to running, last year i lost most of my weight through it, running for an hour a day.
I am hoping I can loose the last bit of weight like it too.
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote