Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #1  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Default In a 5K run/walk...

How okay is it if you just walk? Like at a relatively quick pace (not just sauntering about), but still only walking. I'm thinking about signing up for a 5K charity run/walk in May, but I don't want to show up and have everyone else running to where I'd feel awkward and be finishing like WAY after everyone else. When I walk on a treadmill, I walk at around 2.5 mph to get my heart rate up to where it's supposed to be for aerobic activity (slow, I know, but hey, I'm really heavy...). So is that just way too slow? I don't really know much about these things, so I thought I'd ask before I committed to anything.

Thanks in advance for the replies!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 AM   #2  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Shouldn't be a problem! I also do 2.5 on the treadmill, simply because I can't stand running. (I'm also doing other exercises to make up for it though). A few years back, I was doing the Aids Walk in Washington, DC, and as long as you're not obsessive about beating everyone else, you'll get raves just for doing it!
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yeah, I did the MS walk about a year ago and it was the same - more walkers than runners. If its a run/walk, you'll have people walking and people running. But if you're uncomfortable, you could find a charity that does just a walk - such as AidsWalk, Alzheimers Memory Walk, or others. Honestly, though, you'll find people of all fitness levels at these events.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:02 AM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

It's fine to walk, as well as you do it with a bit of consideration. Don't start right at the front meaning that runners have to swerve to get round you, don't walk five abreast holding hands and blocking the route (unless you are genuinely right at the back), and if you're switching between running and walking, check there's no-one right behind you before you start to walk.

If it's being promoted as a run/walk there shouldn't be a problem. If it is explicit that it's very definitely a run, there might be fewer people walking it, but if they are promoting it to walkers I bet you will be nowhere near the only one, and it's often great fun at the back.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6''

I agree, it is fine to walk. The 5K I did on Saturday had tons of walkers (it was a run/walk). Just start out toward the back and you should be fine! I am sure your pace is fine too! Good luck and have fun!
CharityKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #6  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Yeah, it is being promoted as a run/walk... I just didn't know how many people REALLY walked. Apparently, lots. Thanks everyone! I'm going to try and get a few family members to sign up with me as well!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote